All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm working on "Lucifer's Hammer" now, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It's an old book, about a comet that is headed to Earth. It has long been considered one of the best of the post-apocalyptic books, along with "Down to a Sunless Sea," "Emergence," "War Day," and "Nature's End." All of which were somewhat chilling.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally finished "Lucifer's Hammer." Good book, but LORD, it weighs you down! I've now started on "The Postman" by David Brin, yes, the book the movie was made from. It is, so far, a much easier read.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm skipping our March book here...I have too many medical appointments in the run up to the cardiac ablation at the end of the month. However, I finished "The Postman," and really liked it. I then attempted "The Last Ship,' which I abandoned after 100 pages. I'm not sure if it was that I was just done with post-apocalypic books for a bit, or if it was the military angle that put me off. I may try it again later. However, I'm reading Steve Alten's "The Loch," and was hoping it might be slightly less gory than the Meg series. Alas, I think my hopes will be dashed. There are only two books, "The Loch," and "Vostok," so I'll try to hang on through both of them.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Is tarted 12 Years a Slave, yesterday... against my better judgement.. It is the book for my book club...

I did not realize it was written in the late 19th century.. The writing style, at first takes a lot of getting used to.

Not sure about it.. but I only read 25 pages.. It is a tuff read. Need to concentrate. I found I have already skipped over several paragraphs; imagine I will skip over more of it.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Still getting though 12 Years a Slave...only reading about 20 pages at a sitting... the writings very different from modern times. It was written in late 1880's.....different prose

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading so much lately. Just today I have read:

Poke-A-Dot What's Your Favorite Color
Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes
The Napping House
On The Night You Were Born
Car, Car, Truck, Jeep (at least 4 times)
Bedtime For Zoe
Babylit Little Women
Babylit Les Misérables
My Family and I/Mi Familia y Yo
Fruits and Vegetables/Frutas y Vegetales
Yummy Yucky
In the Garden With Van Gogh
123 Cats (like 3 times)

I think that's all. Maybe. :runaround:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was kinda pleasantly surprised by "The Loch." Yes, a few people got eaten by the beastie, but it was not lovingly described in great detail, as the Meg books were. And the scientific parts were very interesting. It has reawakened an old interest in Loch Ness and its possible denizen. Also managed to read "Vostok"...again, not so much "chomp-chomp-chomp," but more than enough truly fraught situations to last me for a while. LOL, to balance it out, I'm now reading "Kitchen Table Tarot," one of the most down-to-earth, common sense books on reading the Tarot that I've ever run across. I'll be reading this one again, almost immediately, with a highlighter in my hand!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Loved "Kitchen Table Tarot." Common sense, down to earth, well organized. Finished it, went on to read "I Sit Listening to the Wind" by Judith Duerk, and gulped that down in one sitting. I loved it. It is about women getting in touch with their masculine side while balancing it with the feminine, and is remarkable. I'd start with "Circle of Stone," her first book, though. It builds the foundation for this one. I'm now reading either #0 or #17 of the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr, "The Rope." It was the 17th book written in the series, but is actually Anna's backstory, so I decided to read it out of order.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...definitely not a "cozy" mystery, but a good one. Kept me going right up until the end. And now reading "Track of the Cat," the actual book #1 in the Anna Pigeon series.

Status
Not open for further replies.