All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished my reread of Alys, Always and enjoyed it even more!!

I have Dracula waiting to be picked up at library drive-thru also
The Stepford Wives Ira Levin: It's been years since I have read it
the DVD as well, the original
The Last to Vanish and The Last House Guest both by Megan Miranda
The Temple House Rachel Donohue

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Still reading "For Whom the Bell Tolls". I have never read any of Hemingway's writing; as this is for the bookclub.
I find when he there is conversation, in Old Spanish, I find it harder to understand. I have to really concentrate. His descriptions of events are really captivating, and the parts that I enjoy.

The book is for our bookclub. Have until September to finish it. Too much going on for me to just sit and read for a long time.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading the last book in the series, "The Black Cat Breaks a Mirror." After that, I'll read a Jana DeLeon stand-alone, "Dead Man Talking," then her three Mystere Parish books...which are iffy. They're Harlequins, but we'll see.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading an odd book called Gangsters VS. Nazis: How Jewish Mobsters Battled Nazis in WW2 Era America.
Bizarre story. The author says that a Jewish judge and a Rabbi got together and arranged for Jewish Mobsters, including Murder, Inc., to take on the Nazi movement in the US pre-WW2. Jewish mob bosses recruited tough Jewish guys to visit the Nazi meetings and bust heads! According to the author, it had much to do with ridding the US of the Nazi movement in the US before WW2.. I'll have to think about this one when I finish.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading an odd book called Gangsters VS. Nazis: How Jewish Mobsters Battled Nazis in WW2 Era America.
Bizarre story. The author says that a Jewish judge and a Rabbi got together and arranged for Jewish Mobsters, including Murder, Inc., to take on the Nazi movement in the US pre-WW2. Jewish mob bosses recruited tough Jewish guys to visit the Nazi meetings and bust heads! According to the author, it had much to do with ridding the US of the Nazi movement in the US before WW2.. I'll have to think about this one when I finish.
WOW.. that sounds like a really odd, different take on WWII... I read a lot of fictionalized books about the people of WWII... I think it makes me feel closer to my parents, especially Dad, who served in Europe. I kind of always felt comfortable reading about that time. It is intriguing.

This is a new one for me.. Is it based on a true story? Is it true? I do not think I had ever heard of this aspect. It could be true.. there is so much about WWII we do not know about.. so many secrets...

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it based on a true story? Is it true?
The blurb for this book says, "The stunning true story of the rise of Nazism in America in the years leading to WWII—and the fearless Jewish gangsters and crime families who joined forces to fight back." The author, Michael Beason, is a fairly well known true crime writer. The book has good reviews. When I finish, I will do some more research on the subject. Bizarre story if true.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
The blurb for this book says, "The stunning true story of the rise of Nazism in America in the years leading to WWII—and the fearless Jewish gangsters and crime families who joined forces to fight back." The author, Michael Beason, is a fairly well known true crime writer. The book has good reviews. When I finish, I will do some more research on the subject. Bizarre story if true.
Thanks... I think FDR had a lot of 'things' going on, behind the scenes.. and do not forget J. Edgar Hoover---- sneeze that he was..

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading the Adreasson Affair: the True Story of a Close Encounter of the Fourth Kind, by Raymond Fowler. It definitely contains a lot of high strangeness!

The Andreasson Affair is more than just a classic example of a close encounter. It is—to use the jargon of ufologists—a case of such “high strangeness” that even the most open-minded investigators were at first inclined to dismiss it out of hand. Yet it has become probably the best documented case of its kind to date, the subject of an intensive 12-month investigation conducted for the Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) that involved, among other things, the recording of large quantities of testimony given under hypnosis, extensive lie detector testing of witnesses, detailed analysis of corroborative circumstantial evidence, exhaustive comparison with other such accounts, and much more.