All Things Books and Reading Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished "Out of Hounds," and BOY did this series teach me a lot about American fox hunting...or fox chasing, more accurately. There are, for instance, at least three people who ride up with the hounds. One of their main jobs is to ensure that the fox gets away. It is considered an absolute failure when a fox is harmed. And most Packs feed their foxes, especially during the winter, as well as worming them. I'm still not a fan of hunting, but this seems more sporting to me, so I'm ok with it. Everybody seems to have a good time, including the foxes, who apparently enjoy using all sorts of wiles to fool the hounds.

Am now reading "Hekate: Goddess of Witches."

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And have finished "Hekate: Goddess of Witches," which, BTW, was excellent. She has three more out that I now want.

Currently reading "A Disguise to Die For," book one of the Costume Shop cozy series, by Diane Vallere. Only a few pages in, but it's good, so far.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "A Disguise to Die For," then read "Suede to Rest" and "Crushed Velvet" of the Material Witness series by the same author. Enjoyed those so much that I ordered the other three books in both series, and started re-reading Ali Brandon's Bookshop Mystery series, with one of my favorite cats, Hamlet.

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Currently reading The Book of Cold Cases by Simone St. James
Definitely my kind of book. I started it this afternoon and am almost done already. It was very easy to get into and hard to put down. But I'm gonna save the ending for tomorrow bc I gotta get to bed!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've completed "Double Booked for Death" and "A Novel Way to Die." Currently working on "Words with Fiends." BOY do I love Hamlet, the cat. Big black cat with green eyes and attitude cattitude! AND he solves mysteries, rather like KoKo in "The Cat Who" series.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "Words with Fiends" and "Literally Murder," and am working on "Plot Boiler." Just one more left in the series, then I'll start on "Go and Tell the Bees That I am Gone." REALLY can't wait to get started on it! I'm also collecting ALL of the "Dune" books by Frank Herbert (et al). Once I have them all, I'll start reading. Or maybe before, given the lengths of each book. I need 15 volumes yet to have them all, but I have the first 10, plus "Dune" itself.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
OK, I lied. I ordered the last book in the Material Girl series, and both the second and third books in the A Costume Shop series. Read "Silk Stalkings," which finished off Material Girl to date, and finished "Masking for Trouble." I'm about to start "Dressed to Confess," the third and newest in A Costume Shop, and then on to "Bees!!!"

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished "Words with Fiends" and "Literally Murder," and am working on "Plot Boiler." Just one more left in the series, then I'll start on "Go and Tell the Bees That I am Gone." REALLY can't wait to get started on it! I'm also collecting ALL of the "Dune" books by Frank Herbert (et al). Once I have them all, I'll start reading. Or maybe before, given the lengths of each book. I need 15 volumes yet to have them all, but I have the first 10, plus "Dune" itself.
I didn't realize there were so many Dune books. I read some back when they first came out, I don't think I"m really interested in re-reading or reading any additional.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished reading the June book of the month - And Then There Were None. It was my first book by by Agatha Christie, and I quite enjoyed it. Will have more post about it, once the discussion starts in the book club thread.

And now, because my library loan came up too soon, I'm reading the July book of the month - In Five Years by Rebecca Serle. Will definitely need to make notes so I'll remember what I read when the July discussion finally comes along.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't realize there were so many Dune books. I read some back when they first came out, I don't think I"m really interested in re-reading or reading any additional.
Frank Herbert wrote six Dune novels himself, "Dune," "Dune Messiah," "Children of Dune," "God Emperor of Dune,"Heretics of Dune," and "Chapterhouse:Dune." The rest of the novels were written by his son, Brian Herbert and Keven J. Anderson. They cover the time both before and after the original books. I'm looking forward to finding out the backstory on how humans overthrew the machines, and vowed never to fall to them again, which laid the foundations for the Sisterhood, the Navigators, and the Mentats, all of whom took over jobs once done by computers. Well, there are a couple of ancillary books I may get, as well, such as "The Science of Dune," whose author escapes me. There are also a few collections of short stories with Dune stories in them that I want.

Somewhat like Tolkien, Herbert was a world builder, or in his case, a worldS builder, and I'd like to view all of it from start to finish. Been thinking about this for DECADES, and thought, "If not now, then never."

I did finish the last Costume Shop book (currently), and started on "Go Tell the Bees That I Am Gone," the latest book in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. I have a feeling that it may be the last one. It's almost 900 pages, and I'm just 120 pages in, so I'll be working on it for a day or five.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frank Herbert wrote six Dune novels himself, "Dune," "Dune Messiah," "Children of Dune," "God Emperor of Dune,"Heretics of Dune," and "Chapterhouse:Dune." The rest of the novels were written by his son, Brian Herbert and Keven J. Anderson.
I know I read Dune and may still have it on my bookshelf, but I don't believe I read any of the others. I may give Dune another try one of these days. I remember it being alright, but not something I was real excited with. Maybe, like Tolkien, I was too young to appreciate it.

PMousse

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Status
Not open for further replies.