All things Books and Reading thread - 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester, the Kindle Fire has a SD slot. I have a 64GB card in mine. It has music, movies, pictures and books on it. If you check Amazon, you can get a Fire for as little as $33.33 on sale.

boney girl dad

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is a good ebook sale going on at smashwords this week. The ninth annual Read an Ebook Week. Many free and discounted ebooks in many genres. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
@Winchester, the Kindle Fire has a SD slot. I have a 64GB card in mine. It has music, movies, pictures and books on it. If you check Amazon, you can get a Fire for as little as $33.33 on sale.
It sure does. I have a 64GB card in mine too. I love my Fire so much. 

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just checked and my library lets us borrow 20, yes twenty, e-books at a time. But you can only borrow them for a maximum of 21 days, and if there are other people waiting for them, you can't renew after 21 days, but have to put it back on hold if you're not finished reading, so 20 is way too many for me to borrow at one time. Right now I have 3 borrowed and am only reading the first one, so I'll never finish all 3 before they expire.

We can also put 30 e-books on hold at a time. I try to manage the wait time by suspending the holds once they get to close to being available, but sometimes they come up quicker than expected, and if I'm not ready to start reading them, I end up having to go back to the end of the line again.
One reason I don't borrow from library is that I don't have time to read them that fast, and I almost always have 3 or 4 books going at the same time. I would really hate to get in the middle of something and have to return it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

One reason I don't borrow from library is that I don't have time to read them that fast, and I almost always have 3 or 4 books going at the same time. I would really hate to get in the middle of something and have to return it.
LOL...a woman after my own heart!  I'm a multiple reader, too!  In fact, I've been known to have one book by the bed, one by the bathtub, one in the livingroom, and one in my handbag.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm still slogging my way through The Assault on Reason, by Al Gore, with frequent diversions to fiction.  I finally decided to try to find out in which book the "Shipscat" stories by Mercedes Lackey were originally published, since I know I've read them before and they really should be around here somewhere, but I was unable to get that information.  However, I did find out that they've been republished recently in Shipscat Collection, which includes all four stories.  I'd been disappointed to discover that only three of the stories were available individually for Nook (which is the tablet I have), so I was quite pleased to find out that the collection is available, for less than it would have cost to buy all four separately.  You can find it here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/shipscat-collection-mercedes-lackey/1112582019?ean=2940014829946 and, for those with either a Kindle or a Kindle app, here:
I figured for $3.49 it wasn't worth searching my files any longer; I gave up and bought it, and finished it quickly (what do you expect for three and a half bucks -- which isn't discounted -- a tome?).  I'll do a more thorough review later, but the short version is, good stories, but I have the feeling that there should have been more of them.

In honor of the release this week of Beauty and the Beast, the FreeForm channel on DirecTV has been holding a "Hermione Granger" marathon, which is to say, of course, that they've been re-running all of the Harry Potter movies.  So I thought that, in preparation for the same event, I would re-read Robin McKinley's Beauty.  At least, that was the plan, but this morning I got distracted by Thief of Time, by Sir Terry Pratchett.  I'll probably alternate between the two for a while, and am unlikely to finish Beauty before the release, but it's not as if I don't already know the book.

I'm about to give up on television and take my headache and a good book to bed.  Fortunately, I have an excellent book light, so I needn't disturb Roger, even if I decide on a paperback instead of a Nook book.  One of these days when I have a lot of time, I'm going to try and convert the iSilo format copy of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit to .epub format.  (iSilo was a Palm Pilot ereader, way way back when, and I've seen something online recently which leads me to believe that the current incarnation of Calibre may be able to decipher it and convert it.)

Margret

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Dead by Sunset on my tablet; an Anne Rule true crime book. The murder took place in the 80s. Woman killed by her husband.

It was made into a 4 hour tv mini-series but I have never read the book. This guy is evil.

I have several from the library I need to read. Has anyone read The Silent Wife?  That is next on my list then Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I finished Thief of Time and Beauty, still haven't seen the new Beauty and the Beast movie, though I want to.  I'm currently re-reading Cabbages and Kings by O. Henry in the Librivox app on my smartphone, whenever I'm doing something boring that requires the use of my hands but little thought, i.e. cooking.  On the Nook I'm reading The Case of the Invisible Dog, by Diane Stingley.  I'm a bit less than halfway through and still have no notion whodunnit.  It's told from the viewpoint of Tammy, a young woman who has taken a very high paying job as an assistant to a woman named Shirley Homes.  Shirley believes that:
  1. She has proof (which she has not seen fit to show anyone) that Sherlock Holmes was a real person.
  2. Sherlock was actually married to Irene Adler.
  3. Sherlock sent Irene and their baby to America for protection from his enemies, under the name of Homes.
  4. She is the great-great-granddaughter of Sherlock Holmes, and has inherited all of his abilities (she hasn't -- she makes totally incorrect deductions all the time).
Basically, Shirley hired Tammy to be her Watson.  It's a very entertaining book.

Additionally, I'm still slogging my way through Assault on Reason.

I seem to recall someone on this thread mentioning the Kindle app on their Nook.  Presumably this means that someone on this thread has successfully nooted their Nook, which is what I want to do, but so far I've had problems.  I would appreciate a PM from anyone who has succeeded in this endeavor.  I need some good links for the necessary programs to put on the microSD card.  The ones I've found online have all looked suspect.

Margret

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I seem to recall someone on this thread mentioning the Kindle app on their Nook.  Presumably this means that someone on this thread has successfully nooted their Nook, which is what I want to do, but so far I've had problems.  I would appreciate a PM from anyone who has succeeded in this endeavor.  I need some good links for the necessary programs to put on the microSD card.  The ones I've found online have all looked suspect.

Margret
Margret, I have the Kindle app working on my Nook Tablet. I didn't need to root the Nook or anything (whatever it's called). Just downloaded the Kindle app and have been using it ever since. The Kindle app is located in my Apps section and when I want to read a Kindle book, I just go in there and click on the icon and my Kindle books show up. I'm a little confused? That doesn't work for you?

On my Nook:

Slenderman - Willow Rose

Lawyers vs. Demons and Other Odd Short Stories - Scott Baron

Bourbon Springs Boxed Set - Jennifer Bramseth

On my iPad:

Odessa Sea - Clive Cussler (library ebook)

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Pretty Baby by Mary Kubica and I am going to start her first book, The Good Girl, She writes psychological thrillers.

Pretty Baby was amazing. I read it on my tablet. I ordered the hard copy of her latest book, Don't You Cry from Amazon.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the middle of reading Chip and Joanna Gaine's book "The Magnolia Story".  I enjoy their show on HGTV and find them an interesting couple.  I expected it to be a fluff piece, but as it turns out it's fairly serious and filled with good advice on being a good partner and parent. Oh and about running businesses also. It's written in both of their voices - his writing is in bold type and hers regular so there's a nice back and forth to the stories they tell about their life together. 

Last edited:

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I like Chip and Joanna as well. My sister has their shown on a lot when I am their on the weekends. Love the before and after.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am rereading The Catswold Portal, by Shirley Rousseau Murphy.  It was written YEARS ago, and is the prequel, of sorts, to the Joe Grey mystery series, which I am also devouring in huge gulps.  It gives the history of the Catswold folk, humans who can take the form of cats, and who live in an underground world, and who occasionally come to the Upper World.  Apparently, Joe Grey and Dulcie are descended from these fae type folk, and that's why they can speak and read the human language.  I know, it sounds silly in the extreme, but Ms. Murphy has a very deft touch with such things, and while Joe may speak like a human, he remains VERY much a cat, and drives his human companion, Clyde, totally nuts.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Margret, I have the Kindle app working on my Nook Tablet. I didn't need to root the Nook or anything (whatever it's called). Just downloaded the Kindle app and have been using it ever since. The Kindle app is located in my Apps section and when I want to read a Kindle book, I just go in there and click on the icon and my Kindle books show up. I'm a little confused? That doesn't work for you?
---SNIP---
What variety of Nook do you have?  I have a Nook Color.  "Nooting" is the quasi-rooting technique used to turn a Nook Color into an Android tablet, so that it has access to the Google Play Store where you can install the Kindle app.  I guess that the later Nooks don't need to be nooted.  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2392974,00.asp

When I go to the Nook App Store and search for "Kindle," it finds nothing.  When I go to the Google Play Store, it informs me that it doesn't support my browser and I need to download the Play Store app and use that.  When I download the Play Store app, the Nook can't parse the program to install it, and it doesn't even hang onto the download!  Therefore, what I need to do is to noot my Nook, but I'm still searching for the files I need to install on the MicroSD card to do that, and I'm not about to download programs that look fishy.

Margret

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Ooohhhhh. Got it. I have a Nook Tablet, so that's probably why I was able to download the Kindle App. I had the Play Store app on my Nook from day one. That explains it. I'm sorry you're having trouble, but I know nothing about nooting.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just started reading Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth. Started it decades ago & abandoned it, but, so far, I am enjoying it. Love his Goodbye, Columbus short stories.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I remember reading Portnoy's Complaint, have always liked Philip Roth.

From the library: (I really needed to get out of my office over my lunch break, so I drove over to the library today. I actually have hard cover books.
 First time in forever.)

The Seventh Plague - James Rollins

The Occupied - Craig Parshall

The Bone Bed - Patricia Cornwell

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I love Patricia Cornwell's Kay Scarpetta series. Love, Kay, Marino and Lucy.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm finishing up several Mary Daheim Bed and Breakfast mysteries.  I don't collect those, although I do enjoy them.  When I"m done, they will go to the convalescent center near my house, where they will be well-read and enjoyed!  But today, I'm mostly waiting for my new bookcases to arrive!  They are very inexpensive, but I found them in a finish I like, from Walmart, and ordered two (FREE SHIPPING).  The should be here sometime today.

The finish is kinda rustic, and I like that.  Now I just need 5 or 6 more!

Status
Not open for further replies.