All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was curious so I Googled, and 2 things popped up.
1) majority of novels written by beginners use first person
2) about 50% of commercial and genre fiction is written in first person

And also, 1st person is "a storyteller's natural point of view". And, I suspect, it's just easier for an author to keep track of their book's "voice" if they don't have a bunch of different characters talking at them. :lol:
Yes, it is easier to write in first person, but (in my opinion) a lazy way to write. It's more enjoyable for me to read multiple POVs. All that "I this," "I that," and "I the next thing" drives me nuts. It doesn't seem as though there used to be quite as many as there are now. I've learned before I download a book to check first (usually downloading free books so it's not a huge issue).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whereas I find, misty8723 misty8723 , that a really well-written first person book has an immediacy to it that sometimes is missing in a third-person POV. Many years ago, I actually read a novella that was written in second person POV!!! It was excruciating, and I don't recommend it to anyone. The entire time, I kept thinking, "I did not think/do/ask/say that!"

I have finished the Wildling series now, and am reading "Claws and Effect," by Rita Mae and Sneaky Pie Brown. I'll finish it up in a day or two and start my October Read!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished One of Us is Lying, and now trying to decide what book to read for our "Read Anything You Want" October book club celebration. I could read the sequel., One of Us is Next, but think I want to choose something a bit different.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I just checked out the ebook but have several others to read first. If I get to it before you, I’ll post!
Sorry, I forgot to post that I finished the book, "The Cat That God Sent." I can't say I didn't like it because it was easy reading and, of course, about a wonderful cat but I felt it was predictable. However, I decided to try another one of the author's books titled, The Dog That Whispered.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Sorry, I forgot to post that I finished the book, "The Cat That God Sent." I can't say I didn't like it because it was easy reading and, of course, about a wonderful cat but I felt it was predictable. However, I decided to try another one of the author's books titled, The Dog That Whispered.
Oops! I'm sorry, too. I tried to read it but just couldn't manage it--even with the cat. :)

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I read The Winemaker's Wife, by Kristin Harmel. Good story, well written, but I never felt any connection to the characters. It was more about the story and less about character development.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm now reading the THIRD Ottawa and the Valley book, "Greenmantle." So far, so good!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I've now finished all of the Ottaway and the Valley books, and have moved on to the Key books. Mr. de Lint wrote three books under the name of Samuel Key, not to hide his identity, he was very open about it being a pen name of his, but to differentiate them from his usual rather gentle urban faerie tales. The Key books are dark, somewhat twisted, and deal with the depths to which people can and do sink, the terrible toll it takes on those who run across these sadistic, twisted psychopaths, and the horrors that can arise from the torment and pain of those victims...and yet...and yet...each book has a reaching towards the light. They are hard to read. VERY hard to read, but I can see why he was compelled to write them. And I will be glad to be done with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.