All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm now reading Charles de Lint's "Promises to Keep." Yet another of the Newford series, and focused on Jilly Coppercorn, one of my favorite characters. LOL, he keeps saying that he has written his last Jilly novel, although certainly not the short stories, then he gets caught up in a part of Jilly's life that just insists on being told!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read "The Dreaming Place," and am on the last few pages of "Muse and Reverie." By the time I head to bed, I'll be taking "The Blue Girl" with me.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I should list some of the books that I've been reading as it's been a while since I was on this thread. I've been spending a lot of time with library books. I did read Bloodless, the new Pendergast novel and it was excellent. The library books have been mainly some cozy whodunits. Not bad. Some easy and quick reads.

These are from September so far:

Cat Got Your Cash - Julie Chase
Cat Got Your Crown - Julie Chase
Cat Got Your Diamonds - Julie Chase
Cat Got Your Secrets - Julie Chase
The Cherry Cola Book Club - Ashton Lee
Winner Cake All - Denise Swanson
Leave No Scone Unturned - Denise Swanson
Bound for Murder - Victoria Gilbert
Written Off - E. J. Copperman
Be My Ghost - Carol J. Perry
Ghost - Josh Malerman
Read and Gone - Alison Broock
Becoming Trader Joe - Joe Coulombe, Patty Civalleri
Dead and Breakfast - Kate Kingsbury
Seven Deadly Zins - Nancy J. Parra

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Winchester Winchester I really must re-collect my Pendergast series! I've been a fan of those since "Relic." I still have a few. Might move that to the head of the line to get, after I finish with de Lint. I'm still missing about a dozen of those. And speaking of de Lint, I did finish "The Blue Girl," and will finish "Little (Grrl) Lost" tonight, and start on "Dingo." I'm down to the last 5 or so of the Newford books, now.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been reading Near Death Experiences, the rest of the story, by P.M.H. Atwater. Hardcover book I found in the bargain bin some time ago and just picked up. Very interesting.
Real-life stories of out-of-body experiences, encountering a special light, greeters from the afterlife, life reviews, tunnels, and 360-degree vision--are all part of this intriguing look at near-death experiences (NDEs) by one of the world’s noted authorities, P.M.H. Atwater. Atwater shares her amazing findings, based on her sessions with more than 4,000 adults and children and over 40 years of research; a breathtaking culmination to a successful and controversial career. Atwater examines every aspect of the near-death phenomenon: from first-hand accounts of survivors experiencing flash forwards, waking up in morgues, and developing psychic abilities, to stunning cases of groups experiencing NDEs together. Atwater offers statistics from her findings to show the distinctive common patterns that people experience, as well as the common aftereffects and how it changed their lives. She also explores the physiological and spiritual changes that result from near-death experiences and looks at the connections between the NDE experience and what is often called “enlightenment." Near Death Experiences not only provides a glimpse of what lies beyond the veil of our temporal existence, but points to what--or who--we really are and what we are meant to be.

Also just started reading Otterby's Child (Anthym Quest Book 1). I've only finished a couple chapters, but so far I'm enjoying it. It was a free download to my Kindle, and I can get Book 2 with Kindle Unlimited.
From Book 1: It’s taken fourteen years for Kye, a soldier of Moonlight, to locate the boy of legend. Only this skinny, ginger, knocked-about lad has the bloodline to reach the Mere before the city of Moonlight is washed away. It’s up to Kye to make certain the teenager lives until he can bring them across the sea and locate the Mere. Kye has to watch as the boy is poisoned and changed, as vicious Bharkers try to squeeze his life away, and as the telepathic Otterby traveling in the boy’s pocket hints at future disaster. How will Kye feel about it if Anthym has to be sacrificed for some mysterious purpose of the Mere? When he reaches them, they’ll find out what a soldier of Moonlight’s fist felt like.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished "Medicine Road," AND "The Hour Before Dawn, and Two Other Newford Stories." "The Hour" was a really quick read, as I had just read all three, but gave them a quick skim-through, anyway. I'm now reading "Juniper Wiles," the last of the Newford books, and will be moving on to other de Lints (although most of his short story anthologies have at least one Newford story in them). I'm not entirely sure which ones...perhaps the Wildings trilogy. I want to save the Ottawa and the Valley books for October, since I want to do the first one, "Moonheart" as my October read!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I want to save the Ottawa and the Valley books for October, since I want to do the first one, "Moonheart" as my October read!"
Looking forward to learning what "Moonheart" is about, and I know you'll do an excellent job describing it. :)

I still haven't started a new book. Think in the back of my mind I'm trying to save a good one for *my* October read. Course that plan could backfire, as I won't know if it's a good book or not, till I read it. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did, indeed, finish "Juniper Wiles," and started on the first of the Wildlings trilogy, "Under My Skin." Written for young adult readers, it is nevertheless engrossing to mature readers. De Lint does not "dumb down" his books for young readers. In fact, other than changing the ages of the characters, they remain almost the same. He isn't one for heavy sex scenes, anyhow, which I appreciate.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally found something that sounded interesting to read, so started it yesterday. It's also a young adult book - One of Us Is Lying (One of Us is Lying, #1)

Hopefully it will be a quick read, so I can start my "read anything you want" October book club choice sooner than later.

For anyone who missed the thread, October is our book club's 2nd anniversary, and to celebrate we decided to do something different. So for October only, members can choose and read any book they want, as opposed to the book being assigned and everyone reading the same one. Discussion will be different, of course, but it should still be fun, and a great chance for us all to be introduced to some new books and authors. So hope all fellow readers will join us in October.

Here's the thread with all the details. October 2021 book of the month club - 2 year anniversary celebration

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Random thought: Why are so many books written in first person? I've just been looking at books that sounded interesting and every one of them is first person. With a few rare execption, I don't like first person writing.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Random thought: Why are so many books written in first person? I've just been looking at books that sounded interesting and every one of them is first person. With a few rare execption, I don't like first person writing.
I was curious so I Googled, and 2 things popped up.
1) majority of novels written by beginners use first person
2) about 50% of commercial and genre fiction is written in first person

And also, 1st person is "a storyteller's natural point of view". And, I suspect, it's just easier for an author to keep track of their book's "voice" if they don't have a bunch of different characters talking at them. :lol:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I have finished "Under My Skin" and have started on "Over My Head," the second book in the series. Next is "Out of This World," which I may start right before bed, or may start tomorrow. I'm very much enjoying them, as I do all of de Lint's work.

Status
Not open for further replies.