Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All things bright and beautiful,
All creatures great and small,
All things wise and wonderful,
The Lord God made them all.
Cecil Frances Alexander 1818–1895

After watching All Creatures Great and Small on PBS a couple of weeks ago, I wanted to go back and re-read the book which I first read in the 1970s. It came as a three-volume set when I checked out the ebook from my library (ACG&S, All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Things Wise and Wonderful). I just finished it, and it really lifted my spirits. Lovely stories of caring and commitment. And sweet humor.
There is a forth. "The Lord God Made Them All," which is more about James raising his young family as he continues his work in Yorkshire. It is just as wonderful as the first three. Also, there is a series of small, illustrated volumes for children, which is simply stories taken from the books, but I'm trying to collect those as the illustrations are just charming. I have "The Christmas Kitten," the story of Debbie, the feral, who's last act was to bring her only kitten to a home where she was shown kindness.

Currently reading "Eggs on Ice," the latest (I think) book in the Cackleberry Club series. I MUST try some of these recipes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Someday I will understand Auschwitz. This was a brave statement but innocently absurd. No one will ever understand Auschwitz. What I might have set down with more accuracy would have been: Someday I will write about Sophie's life and death, and thereby help demonstrate how absolute evil is never extinguished from the world. Auschwitz itself remains inexplicable. The most profound statement yet made about Auschwitz was not a statement at all, but a response.

The query: "At Auschwitz, tell me, where was God?"

And the answer: "Where was man?”
― William Styron, Sophie's Choice

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shoot. This one doesn’t show up at any of the three libraries where I can check out ebooks. :(
Well, drat. But it is VERY new. I bought it as soon as it was released. It will get there!

I've finished that, AND "Cat Got Your Cash," and am on to "Cat Got Your Secrets."

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh wow! Tobermory Tobermory Enjoy!! I’ve been waiting rather impatiently for my copy. If you do try the Ruth Galloway series, let me know what you think. I like it very much.
I just finished the first one, Winchester Winchester : The Crossing Places. Really good. I plan to work my way through the series. I’m on hold for the second. The author has another series with Stephens and Mephisto as the main characters. The first is The Zig Zag Girl. I’ve checked it out.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
User Unfriendly This book was okay.
The Tattooist of Auschwitz This book would have been really good if someone else had written it. It was adapted from a movie script and because of that, I felt like I didn't get to know the characters and the romance didn't develop at all, it just happened.
The Phantom of the Opera I really liked this classic. The descriptions of the Opera Ghost were so chilling!
If I'm Found and If I Live. Really liked these books, but I felt like the romance was rushed.
The Field Guide to the North American Teenager . I hated this book.
Breathing Room This book was okay. I liked the friendships the girls build with each other.
The Last Book in the Universe This book was also just okay. The concept and the world were interesting.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still reading "Cat Got Your Secrets," but will finish it tonight. After that, I will probably start on one of several true accounts of hauntings that I have piled up on the "to read" shelf. Either that, or I'll read the newest Aunt Dimity cozy mystery. Those are fun, because the mystery is generally NOT a murder, but some other intriguing occurrence. It makes a nice change of pace.

And I have "Hell's Aquarium" still to read...one of the Meg series. I've read three. There are two more after this one that I'll give a pass to. TOO MUCH GORE! Too many detailed accounts of someone (or something) being munched by a shark bigger than a school bus. It wears on a body. I DO plan to read his "Loch" series, though. Interested to see what he does with the Loch Ness Monster. Only two of those, I can handle it.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Read "Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold," then moved on to "Ghost in the Mirror," and "Ghosts Among Us," both by Leslie Rule, and am now reading "Haunted Heartland," by Beth Scott & Michael Norman. AND found some more "true ghost stories" that I want to order! SIGH...when I finish this one, I'll plow through "Hell's Aquarium," and be done with the Meg books. The other two will just have to remain unread by me. I cannot do it. I've ordered the remaining five of the Sweet Potato Queen books, which will make for some much-needed lightness!

OH OH OH! Did I mention that "Fortune Funhouse" arrived, and was DEVOURED upon delivery? Just as LOL funny as the rest of the series! I was reading in bed, and had to sit up to catch my breath from laughing more than once!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
STILL plowing though "Haunted Heartland." It's a fairly long book. After that, "Hell's Aquarium," just to get that done and over with, then...well. I was planning on the Sweet Potato books, but...I just ordered "Night Goblins: A Memoir," by J. T. Gregory, about a Craigslist kitten who changes the author's life. Silver Crazy Silver Crazy suggested it to me. And I just ordered "From Baghdad, With Love" for our March read!

Status
Not open for further replies.