All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tolkien certainly does. His prose can be almost lyrical at times...well, given the songs he wrote for the books, his prose IS lyrical at times!

Almost 2/3 of the way through Rebecca, and will probably read "The Aviary Gate" next.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m reading Magpie Murders by Anthony Horowitz, published in 2016. It won several awards. Horowitz is the creator of the excellent TV series Foyle’s War as well as the beginning episodes of Midsomer Murders. I read last summer that PBS is going to do Magpie Murders as a Masterpiece.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I should finish "Rebecca" tonight! I've really enjoyed it. It's been so very long (first read it in my teens) that it has been like reading it for the first time. I have one shelf devoted to classics, and will proudly place it there when I'm done!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Deadly Cross by James Patterson. Have a book on Hitler next to read. I'm about done with Hitler, the Holocaust, and WWII in general, though. Nick Petrie's sixth novel in the Peter Ash series, The Breaker, was released today and my son reserved one for me, so that's coming soon. I watched a Zoom meeting with Petrie earlier this evening.

Did I say I read a lot?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DreamerRose DreamerRose , there's just so much Hitler that a body can take! I'll read a few books about him, then take a break for a year or more! I have to, for my sanity.

I've finished Rebecca now, and am reading "The Aviary Gate," by Katie Hickman.
You got it. He was a horrible human being, and I don't need to be told that over and over.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I have always loved The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. The first time I read them, I just devoured them. And I've reread them several times. I also have The Silmarillion as well as both volumes of The Book of Lost Tales. My poor Hobbit is falling apart; it's been read so many times.

Right now, I've been working on Elly Griffith's fictional series about Ruth Galloway, an archeologist who helps the police with murder cases. I'm currently on The Chalk Pit, which is the 9th book in the series. I read one, then immediately return it to the library and download the next on the list.

But it will fall by the wayside tomorrow/Saturday when my copy of the new Preston/Child novel arrives in the mail. The Scorpion's Tale is the second book in the Nora Cross series. I've been anxiously waiting on this book.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
But it will fall by the wayside tomorrow/Saturday when my copy of the new Preston/Child novel arrives in the mail. The Scorpion's Tale is the second book in the Nora Cross series. I've been anxiously waiting on this book.
I just checked and I’m #7 on 18 copies at my library. It will be awhile!
Elly Griffith's fictional series about Ruth Galloway
Yay! A new series to explore! I’ve put a hold on the first in the series. There are several people ahead of me on that one, too.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: I just received a notification that The Scorpion’s Tail is ready for download! Winchester Winchester brought me good luck! :)
Oh wow! Tobermory Tobermory Enjoy!! I’ve been waiting rather impatiently for my copy. If you do try the Ruth Galloway series, let me know what you think. I like it very much.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished The World According to Bob: The Further Adventures of One Man and His Streetwise Cat tonight. Pretty easy read- It took a few hours to finish overall, minus time in between. Bob is such a smart, sweet cat! :catlove::read:

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished three books recently. The first was If I Run (If I Run, #1). I really liked this book, but I felt like some parts could have had more detail.
The second book was Brisingr (Inheritance, #3). This book felt like a copy and paste of the book before it. I'm hoping the next book is better.
The third was Black-Eyed Suzie. I love this book, but it is a bit heavy since it deals with a child dealing with emotional and physical abuse.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have, of course, finished "The Aviary Gate." It was fascinating. Since then, I've also read "Survival of the Fritters," the first of the Deputy Donut series, and started on the second, "Goodbye, Crueller World." Lots of fun, and I enjoyed the fact that Our Heroine named her donut shop after her cat, Deputy Donut, "Dep" for short!

Status
Not open for further replies.