Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

scoutandmaxine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just finished The Last House On Needless Street by Catriona Ward. So many twists and turns. It was good but also a bit dark. I loved the chapters of Olivia's (the cat) point of view, of course.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished The Last House On Needless Street by Catriona Ward. So many twists and turns. It was good but also a bit dark. I loved the chapters of Olivia's (the cat) point of view, of course.
That sounds good, so I just put the e-book on hold at my library. There's a lot of people waiting for it, though, so I won't get it for a while.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Islandsportivo Islandsportivo Welcome! Nice to have a new fellow reader!

Well, I finsihed "Angel of Darkness," and boy, was it well-named! I'm now reading the second of the three Key books, "From a Whisper to a Scream." Again, a dark book. If I were reviewing them, they would come with trigger warnings, for sure. But...again, I see why he felt compelled to write them.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "From a Whisper to a Scream," AND "I'll be Watching You," and happily said goodbye to Samuel Key. At that point, I needed something FUN to read, so I'm now about half-way through "Swamp Sweets," #21 in the Miss Fortune series!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I tried another Kristin Harmel book: The Forest of Vanishing Stars. It's set in Poland. The last one I read--The Winemaker's Wife--was lacking in character development, IMO, although it was a good story and well written. This one? Wow. So powerful, and the main character had a lot of depth. If you're going to read it (and I do recommend it), be warned. Like her others, it's set in WWII, and the struggle Polish Jews had to survive was on full display. Actually, the Author's Note was even more distressing to me (in an historical way) than the novel itself. She described her research, including interviewing a Polish Jew who survived the slaughter. Important history to remember. Poland had 3.3 million Jews at the beginning of the war. Between 2.8 and 3 million were murdered, close to 90 percent, simply for being Jewish.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For those of you who have become hooked on the Miss Fortune series, this one does NOT disappoint! I've been either giggling or LOLing my way through the whole thing. I think, just after the first of the year, I may have to go back and re-read ALL of them!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
For those of you who have become hooked on the Miss Fortune series, this one does NOT disappoint! I've been either giggling or LOLing my way through the whole thing. I think, just after the first of the year, I may have to go back and re-read ALL of them!
After you posted about reading it, I checked all three libraries to which I have access to digital books. NONE of them has it! Boo. :( But I’ve put a “recommended” at each so maybe one of them will get it.

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Too near the end of yet another reread of "Lord of the Rings" to go on. Paper books are not available on loan out here and online books are not the same... So I am watching youtube instead of reading. I used to buy at charity shops by the dozen then take them back.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
online books are not the same.
They're not the same as real books, but e-books are so so so convenient, so if you love to read, don't give up on e-books without giving them another chance.

Welcome to our reading thread, btw. And to the entire TCS site, of course. :wave2:

Anchoress

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Being online keeps me awake! I am too old to adapt... lol... Too bright I think. Always loved reading myself to sleep late at night, all curled up and snug... Happy days

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Being online keeps me awake! I am too old to adapt... lol... Too bright I think. Always loved reading myself to sleep late at night, all curled up and snug... Happy days
With an actual e-reader, not a tablet, phone or laptop, the lighting is more adjustable, and they have non-glare screens. I know lots of people still love the feel of a real book, but once I got my e-reader, I never looked back.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're not the same as real books, but e-books are so so so convenient, so if you love to read, don't give up on e-books without giving them another chance.

Welcome to our reading thread, btw. And to the entire TCS site, of course. :wave2:
I just want to agree with this. There was a time when I said I would never read anything but "real" books. Now I have several Kindles loaded with books and rarely read paper books anymore. I get most of the e-books free, so if I don't like it I don't feel like I have to keep reading it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With an actual e-reader, not a tablet, phone or laptop, the lighting is more adjustable, and they have non-glare screens. I know lots of people still love the feel of a real book, but once I got my e-reader, I never looked back.
Yes, you can put it in night mode and the screen darkens. You can pick how dark. You can also read with the lights off, which is a great feature that I love.

Status
Not open for further replies.