All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Tell-Tail Heart (Cattarina Mysteries #1) by Monica Shaughnessy
a book in the spirit of Edgar Alan Poe's thrillers :) people are cardboard and boring, but Katharina the cat and her friends are described in a lively and interesting way :) to the collection :)

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat Chase the Moon (Joe Grey #21) by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
this book lay unread for a long time ... for some reason we unforgivably lost it ... or subconsciously decided to delay the pleasure ... but now the last page is turned over ... and we want to return to the first page ... or to any book of this wonderful series ... when is the twenty-second volume ???

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Cat Chase the Moon (Joe Grey #21) by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
this book lay unread for a long time ... for some reason we unforgivably lost it ... or subconsciously decided to delay the pleasure ... but now the last page is turned over ... and we want to return to the first page ... or to any book of this wonderful series ... when is the twenty-second volume ???
According to the Official site of the Joe Grey cat mystery series by Shirley Rousseau Murphycom , sadly there won't be a 22nd book in the series:
Screenshot_20201122-074732.png

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've haven't read any of them (yet) but it's probably better to stop writing them when she knows she's no longer up to it, than to keep going, possibly with help from someone else, until the books no longer feel like they were written by the author. Hasn't that happened with an author/series?
this is what you need to start reading right now :)

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've haven't read any of them (yet) but it's probably better to stop writing them when she knows she's no longer up to it, than to keep going, possibly with help from someone else, until the books no longer feel like they were written by the author. Hasn't that happened with an author/series?
I haven't read any but agree. But I will read them, a new series to read! They sound great.

I used to enjoy the Patricia Cornwell books but then I think she aged and they really went downhill for me, or something happened, or maybe just too many of them and she ran out of plots.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
this is what you need to start reading right now :)
I think you're right. :)

I haven't read any but agree. But I will read them, a new series to read! They sound great.
Maybe, if my fellow bookclub planners agree, we can read book one some month. Is it considered a cozy mystery? If so, I might have trouble getting them to agree. :lol:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have wasted too much time reading about the election, but I have re-read a lot of the Discworld books, and a 9-book series called Oblivion I got for 99¢ on BookBub. Pure B-movie type space opera.

I have found that Sir Terry Pratchett can distract my mind from the midden impacting the windmill all around me.

The Turtle Moves.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Or I can go with David Weber, who writes A-movie space opera. There is a plot going on that makes our problems in the USA look pretty. Politicians changing official communications, sending two star nations back to war, just to keep themselves in power and rich.

These are the Honorverse books.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not read a book in a very long time.. I started Crawdads last week. I read a good amount of it yesterday. This is a perfect book to re-begin my reading.

I bought the hard cover version. There is just something about having a book in your hands, lounging on the sofa, with a throw over you, silence in the house; and reading.. it was so peaceful

So far, I am loving this book.. too late for the book club, but it will be interesting to read the comments after I complete the book. It may take a while; but so enjoyable.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished Footprints in the Ferns (Lovely Lethal Gardens #6) which was the 6th in the cozy mystery book series that began with Arsenic in the Azaleas, which we read in the book club a couple months back. This is the last one I'll probably read, as there are no more free copies at my library or Hoopla. That's probably a good thing, because though I'm kind of enjoying the books, the repetitive themes are getting a bit tiring. I can understand, though, why readers are drawn to these type of continuing stories, as there is something nice about returning to characters you're familiar with.

I've now started something completely different - A Promised Land, by Barack Obama This will not be a short read, as my e-reader shows over 800 pages!

So far, I am loving this book.. too late for the book club, but it will be interesting to read the comments after I complete the book. It may take a while; but so enjoyable.
artiemom artiemom : Don't worry about being too late for the book club discussion, as there's no reason why we can't re-discuss it once you finish. Just don't go in the thread till you're done, as there are spoilers there. But do post, once you finish, and those of us following the thread, should see it. Meanwhile, enjoy the rest of the book.

Oh, and do consider joining us in December when we are reading A Christmas Carol. Because it's a older book with an expired copyright, it's free to download online, so easy to access. It's also a novella, so should be a quick read.
More info in the December 2020 book of the month club thread.. Everyone is welcome/invited to read along with us, btw. :grouphug2:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate that. I so wish that she could find some trusted person to write one more book, tying up all of the loose ends, with her minimal assistance.

I think you're right. :)

Maybe, if my fellow bookclub planners agree, we can read book one some month. Is it considered a cozy mystery? If so, I might have trouble getting them to agree. :lol:
I'm all for it. And it both is and is not a cozy mystery. There IS a mystery, several of them, one being, where did these very ususual cats originate? THAT question is answered in a prequel that came out decades ago, The Catwold Portal, which was considered Fantasy, but which definitely set the groundwork for the Joe Grey series. It's on my shelves now, and I would definitely re-read it. And will, book club or no.

Status
Not open for further replies.