All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Basic Witch (Gemma Bradbury Magical Cozy Mysteries #1) by Harmony Hart
Basic Witch (Witches of Salem: Gemma Bradbury Mystery #1)
Welcome to Salem, where paranormals of all kinds live in harmony. Mostly.
My name is Gemma Bradbury, and I’ve spent most of my life trying to be what everyone else expects me to be. The problem with living my life for other people is that I never figured out who I really am.
But then I stumbled—quite literally—into a new life in Salem, and everything changed. In less than an hour, I was tangled up in the suspicious death of an elderly shop owner, realized my cat can talk, and—here's the kicker—found out I’m a witch.
I also found out I was stuck in Salem.
Forever.
But when I secured a job and a place to live, and the Coven assigned me a magical tutor—the drop-dead gorgeous Professor Beauregard Bacchus— things started to look up.
All I have to do now is learn to navigate a new town full of witches, vampires and shifters, manage a magic shop, pass my first wand exam, and keep my growing affection for Professor Beau a secret.
Oh, and find the shop owner’s real killer before the town’s bumbling moose-shifter deputy tosses me in jail for murder.
Guess my life isn’t so basic anymore.
Fans of witty cozy mysteries will love this magical tale featuring a reluctant female sleuth, an opinionated feline familiar and a touch of romance set in a quaint (and gossipy) supernatural village.
Note: This book contains lighthearted humor and recipes and is free of swearing, graphic violence, and sex.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
My name is Gemma Bradbury, and I’ve spent most of my life trying to be what everyone else expects me to be. The problem with living my life for other people is that I never figured out who I really am.
But then I stumbled—quite literally—into a new life in Salem, and everything changed. In less than an hour, I was tangled up in the suspicious death of an elderly shop owner, realized my cat can talk, and—here's the kicker—found out I’m a witch.
Forever.
But when I secured a job and a place to live, and the Coven assigned me a magical tutor—the drop-dead gorgeous Professor Beauregard Bacchus— things started to look up.
All I have to do now is learn to navigate a new town full of witches, vampires and shifters, manage a magic shop, pass my first wand exam, and keep my growing affection for Professor Beau a secret.
Oh, and find the shop owner’s real killer before the town’s bumbling moose-shifter deputy tosses me in jail for murder.
Fans of witty cozy mysteries will love this magical tale featuring a reluctant female sleuth, an opinionated feline familiar and a touch of romance set in a quaint (and gossipy) supernatural village.
Note: This book contains lighthearted humor and recipes and is free of swearing, graphic violence, and sex.
Alex, have you and Nicky read this?

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Forever.
This book sounds really interesting to me... a diversion book, into another realm.. and Salem, MA is near me.. I have been there a lot...

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I started One by one yesterday by Ruth Ware and I'm hooked already only a few chapters into it.
She's a trickster and just when you think you know what's going to happen, you don't!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...finished "Killing Me Softly." I really...I'm not sure "liked" is the right word. Not for this book. But it certainly was riveting. Took me awhile. I normally read a book every 1.5-2 days, but Kindles take me longer. Mostly because I do a lot of reading while I soak in the tub. While I have never, in the 60-odd years I've been doing this, dropped a book in the tub, I'm paranoid about the Kindle. Not like I can just dry it out!

I've started "Familiar Remedy." It's a (gasp) Harlequin romance, And there is a romance, of course, but had this series been written today (they started in 1990), they would probably have been considered more a cozy mystery. And I'm quite taken with Familiar, the cat, who solves the mysteries. In "Familiar Remedy," he is working on behalf of Socks, the First Cat of the United States.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, in the past few weeks, I've read 5 books. I'm just going to list the books and a sentence or two on my thoughts.
Salt to the Sea. I loved this book! If you like historical fiction, you should read this!
Catching the Wind. This book is pretty good, but, towards the end, the author decided to connect all the characters and their families in a very unrealistic way. I didn't like that aspect of it.
The Jungle Book. I really liked it. I loved the different laws of the jungle animals and how they interacted with each other.
Season of Wonder (The Remnants #1). I really enjoyed this book and ordered the next two books online. I can't wait until I get them! While this book was good, I hope that the next two are better.
The Vanishing Deep. The culture is this book was really interesting but the rest was meh. I probably wouldn't read it again.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm loving One by one! The chef at the Chalet where the book takes place makes
such delicious food.Better have a full belly while reading this one, ha!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have finished "Familiar Remedy," and am now reading "Familiar Tale." I'm also reading a Kindle book by Aldous J. Pennyfarthing with an exceptionally rude title. It shall remain nameless here, but it is funny and irreverent, and the first of four books by him.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm also reading a Kindle book by Aldous J. Pennyfarthing with an exceptionally rude title. It shall remain nameless here, but it is funny and irreverent, and the first of four books by him.
I just looked those up, hee, hee!!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The problem is that I keep laughing so hard that I get a tummy cramp. I really like this guy. Of course, his real name is not Aldous J. Pennyfarthing, but I correspond with him semi-regular basis on one of my political forums. Still reading that, with "Familiar Tale" as my bathtub book.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished All the Devils Are Here by Louise Penny, part of the Inspector Gamache series. It was... beautiful. Yes, it had the usual violence, but the ending was lovely. I would love to know these people, be a part of Three Pines. How lucky they are to have each other.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last book I read was The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. I loved it, but Matt Haig is one of my favorite authors so it's not surprising. The premise is that a woman tries to kill herself and in this limbo period between life and death, she finds herself in a library where she can pull a book from a shelf that represents her regrets and relive certain parts of her life where she chose or didn't choose some path in her life. It's a good read. Matt Haig writes a lot about depression and being a depression survivor myself, I both appreciate his openness about mental illness and how he's able to craft stories about mental illness with a message of hope.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have finished "Familiar Tale," which is the last of the Fear Familiar books that I have on hand. They are an amusing, but not compelling, series of books, so I buy 2-3 when I'm looking to round out an order to get free shipping! Still slowing working my way through the Pennyfarthing book, while reading "Finding Liberty," by Blaine Staat, for my local book club. We read all local authors (NC), so we run the gamut on genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.