Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
from our collection :)
Love Saves the Day
From the author of the New York Times bestselling memoir Homer’s Odyssey comes a tender, joyful, utterly unforgettable novel, primarily told through the eyes of the most observant member of any human family: the cat.

Humans best understand the truth of things if they come at it indirectly. Like how sometimes the best way to catch a mouse that’s right in front of you is to back up before you pounce.

So notes Prudence, the irresistible brown tabby at the center of Gwen Cooper’s tender, joyful, utterly unforgettable novel, which is mostly told through the eyes of this curious (and occasionally cranky) feline.

When five-week-old Prudence meets a woman named Sarah in a deserted construction site on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, she knows she’s found the human she was meant to adopt. For three years their lives are filled with laughter, tuna, catnaps, music, and the unchanging routines Prudence craves. Then one day Sarah doesn’t come home. From Prudence’s perch on the windowsill she sees Laura, the daughter who hardly ever comes to visit Sarah, arrive with her new husband. They’re carrying boxes. Before they even get to the front door, Prudence realizes that her life has changed forever.

Suddenly Prudence finds herself living in a strange apartment with humans she barely knows. It could take years to train them in the feline courtesies and customs (for example, a cat should always be fed before the humans, and at the same exact time every day) that Sarah understood so well. Prudence clings to the hope that Sarah will come back for her while Laura, a rising young corporate attorney, tries to push away memories of her mother and the tumultuous childhood spent in her mother’s dusty downtown record store. But the secret joys, past hurts, and life-changing moments that make every mother-daughter relationship special will come to the surface. With Prudence’s help Laura will learn that the past, like a mother’s love, never dies.

Poignant, insightful, and laugh-out-loud funny, Love Saves the Day is a story of hope, healing, and how the love of an animal can make all of us better humans. It’s the story of a mother and daughter divided by the turmoil of bohemian New York, and the opinionated, irrepressible feline who will become the bridge between them. It’s a novel for anyone who’s ever lost a loved one, wondered what their cat was really thinking, or fallen asleep with a purring feline nestled in their arms. Prudence, a cat like no other, is sure to steal your heart.
Alex,

I have tears in my eyes just reading the plot summary.

I haven't really read much during the past few days, maybe today. Maybe Home Before Dark by Riley Sager

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
from our collection :)
Leger's Foe (The Leger Cat Sleuth Mysteries Book 17)
The fourth book in the Leger Hotel Mysteries Series sees Leger faced with two mysteries. Kevin the swan has confessed to killing a local man by drowning him in the loch, but is he telling the truth? While trying to uncover the real story, Leger and Bob also have to look for Carole, who Lily is convinced is the real killer. Can they clear her name?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently reading two books, "Probable Claws," on of Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy series, and "Blackhouse, God's House" by Murdina MacDonald, a true story, retold from her father's papers and notes, about life of the Island of Lewis, Scotland. "Blackhouse" refers to a type of house common on smallholdings in Scotland until early in the 20th century. A few have been saved, and are parts of museums.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just finished The Devil's Star, #5 in the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbø. Now that was a convoluted plot!

I'm not sure what I'm in the mood for next, but have downloaded another Scandinavian mystery (by
Jussi Adler-Olsen), a couple true crime accounts, two cozy mystery series, two Amy Tan novels, and a book about rabies. That should keep me busy for quite a while.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm currently reading two books, "Probable Claws," on of Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy series, and "Blackhouse, God's House" by Murdina MacDonald, a true story, retold from her father's papers and notes, about life of the Island of Lewis, Scotland. "Blackhouse" refers to a type of house common on smallholdings in Scotland until early in the 20th century. A few have been saved, and are parts of museums.
Mrs Murphy is one of our favorites :)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did finish "Probable Claws," and thoroughly enjoyed it! Especially as Ms. Brown has backed off of the rather subtle fat-shaming in this book. I'm now still reading "Blackhouse, God's House," and have started on "Plum Tea Crazy," by Laura Childs. It is #19 of the Tea Shoppe Mystery series, and, of course, I've read all of them up to this one! I just got my copy of "Disloyal" today, so that's on the "very soon" pile. I have to wait until my October check to get "Rage," but it is on the list and will be ordered on the 3rd.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've started a freebie: Pet Psychic Mysteries: Paranormal Cozy Boxset Books 1-4 by Erin Johnson, but highly doubt I'll finish it.
I've given up on this set, at least for now. A friend who's usually not much of a reader, but loved Making Rounds with Oscar and A Street Cat Named Bob asked about similar books. I recommended the Bob sequel, Homer's Odyssey and its sequel by Gwen Cooper, and Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World by Vicki Myron.

Guess who's now rereading the Dewey book before lending it to her? :lol:

Normally I wait till a new book's price comes down before ordering it, but made an exception for Rage, since I can tell myself that the cost comes out of my stimulus check.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Guess who's now rereading the Dewey book before lending it to her? :lol:
hee!!

I am number 1 on the list for hard copy of Rage!! The library only has it in Ebook form. I placed a hold
and I was about 345 for the Ebook, then called library I am number 1

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle (Named "The Seven and a Half Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle" in the US). It is so good! It's a time-binding murder mystery. It's a page turner from the beginning to the end. Several people in my book club rated it the best book they've read in recent years.
I am getting it from another library. Thank you for the heads-up!!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
STILL working on "Blackhouse, God's House," and have started "Broken Bone China," #20. One of the things I love about the Tea Shoppe mystery series is the wonderful and fairly simple recipes in the back...as well as ideas for having a tea party, and a source list for teas, and for publications about teas. Not that I'm going to have a tea party, but you never know...

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finished with The Count of Monte Cristo. It was a great book; I loved it!
My goal is to finish The House on Foster Hill today. I've been reading it on ebook and I really like it so far. My only complaint is the romance. I don't like how the author is handling it. Some parts feel random. For example, one of the main characters spends a couple chapters saying that she hates this guy, she'll never forgive him, blah, blah, blah. Then, when she's talking to him and thinking about how he broke her heart and how much she hates him, she let's him kiss her. 🤷‍♀️ It just doesn't make sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.