All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "The Black Cat Steps on a Crack," and have moved on to "The Black Cat Breaks a Mirror." I am so smitten with Hitchcock! However, I have to get this one read because "Gators and Garters" is calling my name!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Right now I'm rereading A Night's Tale, #11 in the Magical Cats Mystery Series by Sofie Kelly. The twelfth book, A Case of Cat and Mouse, will be released tomorrow, so I want to review what was going on with the characters before starting it.
Thanks for the heads up! I just put a hold on the ebook at my library. I’m #60 on one copy. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Finished reread of The Silent Patient, I'm glad I did because I picked up more on the second read.

I reread Ordinary People. I have the DVD. The film was changed a bit from the book but both are still my faves.

I'm going to read The Crucifix Killer by Chris Carter. Mush recommended it to me. Also, I have Gonzo about
Hunter S. Thompson and Home Before Dark by Riley Sager on my tablet.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I'm rereading A Night's Tale, #11 in the Magical Cats Mystery Series by Sofie Kelly. The twelfth book, A Case of Cat and Mouse, will be released tomorrow, so I want to review what was going on with the characters before starting it.
A Case of Cat and Mouse was pretty good, but not her best, and I was a bit disappointed that the victim and suspects were all participants in a baking contest. That's been overused in cozy mysteries - or I've simply been reading too many of them. :lol:

It's time for another true crime account, so I downloaded a freebie, The Yorkshire Ripper: Reign of Terror by Stephen McGrann. It's in a bundle with two other books of his that I've already read, about the Moors Murders and Dennis Nilsen, so I can delete those old copies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
It's time for another true crime account, so I downloaded a freebie, The Yorkshire Ripper: Reign of Terror by Stephen McGrann. It's in a bundle with two other books of his that I've already read, about the Moors Murders and Dennis Nilsen, so I can delete those old copies.
Just the pics of Myra Hindley (Moors Murders) creep me out!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished "Gators and Garters," the newest of the Miss Fortune series, and it is as hysterically funny as the rest! Did not let me down one little bit! I know I can look forward to laughing hysterically at least 3-4 times in the course of reading one of the books in this series. I'm now reading the first book in DeLeon's new series, Marina at Midlife, "Wrong Side of Forty." So far, so good. It isn't quite as laugh-out-loud funny as the Miss Fortune series, but it certainly has its moments! After this, sometime tonight, I'll start on our September read here!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
from our collection :)
Love Saves the Day
From the author of the New York Times bestselling memoir Homer’s Odyssey comes a tender, joyful, utterly unforgettable novel, primarily told through the eyes of the most observant member of any human family: the cat.

Humans best understand the truth of things if they come at it indirectly. Like how sometimes the best way to catch a mouse that’s right in front of you is to back up before you pounce.

So notes Prudence, the irresistible brown tabby at the center of Gwen Cooper’s tender, joyful, utterly unforgettable novel, which is mostly told through the eyes of this curious (and occasionally cranky) feline.

When five-week-old Prudence meets a woman named Sarah in a deserted construction site on Manhattan’s Lower East Side, she knows she’s found the human she was meant to adopt. For three years their lives are filled with laughter, tuna, catnaps, music, and the unchanging routines Prudence craves. Then one day Sarah doesn’t come home. From Prudence’s perch on the windowsill she sees Laura, the daughter who hardly ever comes to visit Sarah, arrive with her new husband. They’re carrying boxes. Before they even get to the front door, Prudence realizes that her life has changed forever.

Suddenly Prudence finds herself living in a strange apartment with humans she barely knows. It could take years to train them in the feline courtesies and customs (for example, a cat should always be fed before the humans, and at the same exact time every day) that Sarah understood so well. Prudence clings to the hope that Sarah will come back for her while Laura, a rising young corporate attorney, tries to push away memories of her mother and the tumultuous childhood spent in her mother’s dusty downtown record store. But the secret joys, past hurts, and life-changing moments that make every mother-daughter relationship special will come to the surface. With Prudence’s help Laura will learn that the past, like a mother’s love, never dies.

Poignant, insightful, and laugh-out-loud funny, Love Saves the Day is a story of hope, healing, and how the love of an animal can make all of us better humans. It’s the story of a mother and daughter divided by the turmoil of bohemian New York, and the opinionated, irrepressible feline who will become the bridge between them. It’s a novel for anyone who’s ever lost a loved one, wondered what their cat was really thinking, or fallen asleep with a purring feline nestled in their arms. Prudence, a cat like no other, is sure to steal your heart.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished "Gators and Garters," the newest of the Miss Fortune series, and it is as hysterically funny as the rest! Did not let me down one little bit!
Aargh! None of the libraries to which I have access carries it. :( I’ve recommended it and will have to hope one of them acquires it. I love this series!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished A Song for You by Robyn Crawford, her book about her life with Whitney Houston. It was written somewhat like the Mary Trump book, in that it was like the author's memoir, and since the "famous" person was part of their life, that was a large part of the book.

Poor Whitney, though. Her family wasn't very supportive, and used her as their own ATMs. Despite all the album sales, tours, and movies, she still needed to continue touring, to avoid bankruptcy. Bobby Brown, as I guess everyone knew, was not a good influence on for her. And though the drug use probably escalated once she married him, I was surprised to read she'd first used cocaine when she was only fourteen.

Robyn met Whitney when they were still teens, and before Whitney's fame. They had a romantic relationship until Whitney became famous, and then Robyn remained her friend and business associate for 20 years. Finally she left the Whitney "business" and focused on her own life, and recovering from the sadness in her life which included her Mom and brother both dying of AIDS/HIV.

It was an interesting book, and glad I read it.

Next up will be my FIRST EVER COZY MYSTERY which I am reading because it won the poll for the book we should read for our September book club choice. The book is Arsenic in the Azaleas (Lovely Lethal Gardens, #1).

The e-book is currently FREE at Amazon, and other e-book websites, so if you like cozy mysteries, or have always wanted to read a cozy mystery, now's your chance to read it along with some other TCS members. And those of you that are Cozy Mystery fans, who may have already read it, please join us starting September 22nd when we discuss the book, as we'd love to have your input, and hear whether it was a typical cozy mystery or not. Here's the link to the thread where you'll find more info, including the links for the free downloads. September 2020 book of the month club (Poll)

And just a bit more about the book club. Some of you probably remember when we first started talking about having a book club.
Well, believe it or not, one year has passed, and October will be our FIRST ANNIVERSARY. :celebrate:

We're doing another poll to choose the book we will read, so if you haven't seen the thread, check it out. And vote. And come back in October and read with us. Here's the thread: October 2020 Book of the Month Club - 1st Year Anniversary (Poll)

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
K Koveshnikov , I've added "Love Saves the Day" to my "must read" list. I may order it tonight! Have to check the budget first, but it is ON THE LIST!

SO...I finished "Wrong Side of Forty," and thoroughly enjoyed it. Marina is my kinda gal. She's not going to let anything stop her now. After finding her husband in her bed, with another woman, Marina is done. Utterly done. And to make matters worse, the other "woman" is the same young thing who stole not one, but two of Marina's daughter's boyfriends in high school. Yep...Marina is "stick a fork in me, I'm done" done! And now, she's got just a week to save the world with the able help of sister, Halcyon.

OH, and currently reading our September read, "Arsenic in the Azaleas." YES, there's a cat. And a basset hound. And a parrot.

Status
Not open for further replies.