All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rereading Alys, Always by Harriet Lane for about the 5th time, ha!! One of the critics
called it the All About Eve for our times. I'm enjoying as much as the first time.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. It was okay. The author focused a lot on the description of Malacandra; too much for me. But, I really liked the way he described the different beings on Malacandra and their cultures.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished Cat Sense by John Bradshaw, published in 2013. Absolutely fascinating. He spends a lot of time talking about the evolution of cats, but the part that was so enlightening and helpful to me is how those evolutionary traits can help me support the healthy interactions among my three cats.
933EAA31-D66E-4FD6-AC97-B272201D224C.jpeg

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Tobermory Tobermory , that's going on my MUST HAVE list right now!
It explained, for me, so much I’ve observed about cats over the past 46+ years...and so much about the issues and behaviors I’ve encountered and seen folks post about here. I checked it out as an ebook from one of the public libraries to which I have access.

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished Cat Sense by John Bradshaw, published in 2013. Absolutely fascinating. He spends a lot of time talking about the evolution of cats, but the part that was so enlightening and helpful to me is how those evolutionary traits can help me support the healthy interactions among my three cats.
View attachment 345305
I just put this on hold at my library (copies are checked out.) Can't wait to read it.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished The Summer Deal (Wildstone, #5) last night. It was ok - a typical "beach read".

Not sure what I'll be reading next. I should be reading If You Knew Her our current book club book, but someone else has the e-book borrowed, so I have to wait. Hopefully they're a fast reader. .

And I'm now # 25 on 35 copies for "The Book" TM artiemom artiemom 's friend. ;)

By now you've probably seen that we've got a poll in our Sept book club thread, so members can choose the book we'll read. Currently there's a tie, so if you haven't voted yet, we could use your help determining the winner. :read:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Three of the last four books I've finished were non-fiction:
The Chronicles of the Wuhan Virus, by Shyam Balusubramian, which fortunately was a freebie (meaning it's not one I'd heartily recommend, and the title alone was a bit of a tip-off).

The Psychology of Pandemics by Steven Taylor, which was quite interesting, but overpriced, so something to check your library for. It was published before the Covid-19 pandemic, and most of the content has meanwhile been validated. We're behaving just like the author predicted, though it's more extreme in some countries than in others.

365 Fascinating Facts You Didn't Know About Your Cat, by Peter Scottsdale, is a cute freebie to pass the time.

I also read and enjoyed the latest book in the Lovely Lethal Gardens series by Dale Mayer, Jewels in the Juniper. The first book in the series, Arsenic in the Azaelas, has been suggested as the September book of the month and is also a quick relaxing read.

Next up will probably be another true crime account: Buried Beneath the Boarding House, by Ryan Green. I'm familiar with the case, but not this book.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think yesterday must have been 3 weeks since my library got the additional e-books, meaning a bunch of people's loans expired, because I went from being 25 on 35 copes to getting to borrow "The Book" yesterday. I've started it, and am a few chapters in.

The first book in the series, Arsenic in the Azaelas, has been suggested as the September book of the month and is also a quick relaxing read.
Glad to hear it's a relaxing read, as that's something we could all use right now. Sorry, though, that you've already read it, as I thought if it won, it might be one you'd be interested in reading.

We've still got a tie, so if you haven't voted yet, folks, do it soon. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm currently dragging myself through "Smoke and Shadows," by Tonya Huff. It's the story of Toby Foster, who was a minor character in the Blood books (the series that spawned the TV series "Blood Ties.") I say "dragging" because I'm finding it slow going, but once I've read a chapter and think about it, I actually enjoyed it. Some books are like that for me. The actual reading is a bit of a chore, but once done, I'm happy I read it.

Status
Not open for further replies.