All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished A Nantucket Wedding the other night. And just downloaded The Summer Deal by Jill Shavis, which I now see is book 5 of a series, however it seems they are all standalone books, so reading it before the other 4 should be fine.

My library got another 25 e-book copies of Mary Trump's book, so now my wait time is only 4 weeks. The number of people waiting to borrow it is now 731, so there'll still be a pretty long wait for some of them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading The Other Mrs. by Mary Kubika and it's so good. I think I have it figured it,
but she's a trickster so I could be way off. I was reading Riley Sager's latest, Home
Before Dark
but it expired. I am next on the list so it should be ready to download soon.
I also got a DVD from the library with 14 of Mary Higgins Clark's books-made-into movies.
I've seem quite a few of them but it will be nice to watch again.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished "The Book," as artiemom artiemom mom so wonderfully put it. Dear heavens, what a family! I had read about quite a bit of it, but it was all surface. My main thought on finishing the book is, "HOW ON EARTH did one person in that family turn out so well?" Of course, Mary's saving grace is that she was largely ignored after her father died. But what family operates on the theory that if a brother dies, his kids aren't really part of the family any more? I'm just...dumbfounded.

And now I've FINALLY started on "Guilty as Sin," the Hoag book. I'm only a few chapters in thus far. Ellen is an interesting character thus far.

THAT SAID...my Kindle is acting funny. It has told me that I'm on page 541 of the book since I started the second book. But the pages turn normally, so I'll deal with that!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
THAT SAID...my Kindle is acting funny. It has told me that I'm on page 541 of the book since I started the second book. But the pages turn normally, so I'll deal with that!
It probably needs a restart. I've found mine works better if I restart it about once a month.

I'm a little more than halfway through the Craig Johnson book; I keep putting it down. I don't like it as much as his other Longmire books because most of the usual characters don't play a role, though they're mentioned.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished "The Book," as artiemom artiemom artiemom artiemom mom so wonderfully put it. Dear heavens, what a family! I had read about quite a bit of it, but it was all surface. My main thought on finishing the book is, "HOW ON EARTH did one person in that family turn out so well?" Of course, Mary's saving grace is that she was largely ignored after her father died. But what family operates on the theory that if a brother dies, his kids aren't really part of the family any more? I'm just...dumbfounded.
A friend of mine, is the one would gained the phrase: "The Book".. She told me that I 'have to read it'..

I Could get it now, on my Kindle, for a lot less money; but I decided to wait, until it was actually shipped to me in book form. I think it is the type of book, where I would want to re-read some parts of it.. or refer to something I had previously read. It is easier to look through book pages than Kindle pages.

I am not a reader of biographies, but this one seems very compelling to me. dysfunctional family in the dictionary version of dysfunctional...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm ALMOST through with "Guilty as Sin," I THINK! Still having that "page 541" thing, which I'll just live with until I finish the book. It's going a little slow, because I don't trust myself NOT to drop it if I fall asleep in the bathtub! Which is one of my major reading spots.

Not sure where I'm going after that. Maybe "The Witches of East End." It has been patiently awaiting its turn for awhile now,

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "Guilty as Sin," and gave a review in the "June Book of the Month" thread. I shan't repeat it here, but...although the two-book series won't be a re-read for me, I did enjoy them.

Started (and got halfway through) "Witches of East End," which seems to have become a series. I'm fairly sure I won't be reading any further. It's ok. JUST ok. More "witches have nothing to do with actual human beings" stuff which just drives me a bit batty.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
After reading a freebie on The Black Death by Adrian Ramos, I'm halfway through The Scent of Death by Simon Beckett.

The former would have been a more enjoyable read if it had been formatted correctly. The latter is #6 in Beckett's forensic anthropologist David Hunter series and quite good so far. If you liked the early Kay Scarpetta books by Patricia Cornwell, the Body Farm books by Jefferson Bass, or Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan series, you'd like this one.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I started reading Where Monsters Hide by M. William Phelps but put it aside.
There were a lot of what I felt were unneeded details.I own it so I can always
go back to it. He has written a lot of true crime books but I haven't read any of them.

I then started Little Women. Haven't read it in years but I really feel like reading my
fave genre, psychological thrillers. I have a few books and DVDs on reserve from
other libraries. I'm so glad they began allowing interlibrary loans again.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, it's VERY early in the morning for me to be here. Actually, in MY world, it's very late at night. I just dragged myself through the end of Witches of East End. It was well-written. HOWEVER...once again, witches are not people who work very hard to learn and hone their craft, NO, they're the Norse Vanir gods (and goddesses), trapped in Midgard. And some of them have no clue what Yggdrsail is, which ANY Vanir ought to know. There are other inconsistencies. I know a bit about Norse mythology, and probably would have enjoyed the book more if I did not. But I plowed through it, and even enjoyed some parts of it.

Now, I'm going to read these latest three Krewe of Hunters novels. Well, the first is a novella. THAT'S paranormal that makes some kind of sense! SO, on to "Blood Night," as soon as I tuck myself into bed, which will be shortly!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I started reading Where Monsters Hide by M. William Phelps but put it aside.
There were a lot of what I felt were unneeded details.I own it so I can always
go back to it.
I've read that one, as well as many others he's written. There are so many that it's sort of a mixed bag. Several are really good, while others are mediocre.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a heads up that we're doing something a bit different with the Book Club for September. The thread will be posted on August 1st, and details will be revealed then.

Currently, I'm still reading The Summer Deal. And I'm now # 53 on 35 copies for "The Book".

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've read that one, as well as many others he's written. There are so many that it's sort of a mixed bag. Several are really good, while others are mediocre.
What is a really good one by him?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL, I read the novella, "Blood Night," then realized that I should have read "The Stalking" first! Oh, well. It's The Krewe of Hunters, so no real damaged done. NOW reading "The Stalking."

Status
Not open for further replies.