All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I started Bred to Kill, the sequel to Syndrome E and I'm hooked already, only a few chapters in.
The same translator was used and he is amazing. I'll read Nantucket Wedding sometime soon and
the New Riley Sager book, Home Before Dark. I have You Belong to Me, an old Mary Higgins Clark
book, on my tablet only for another day, so I may read that first. I also have Guilty as Sin on my tablet,
the sequel to Night Sins. Reading that will let us know what really happened when Josh was kidnapped.

I thought this looked good and I know some of you enjoy WWII books. It's based on a true story.

The Prisoner's Wife by Maggie Brooks
The Prisoner’s Wife by Maggie Brookes - BookBub

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm skipping July due to budget constraints. I could order it used, but it wouldn't arrive until the 21st. Ah, well.
Just a reminder, that we discuss books till the 28th of the month, so it it arrived on the 21st, that would give you a week to read it. You know, if it's a book you might want to read. ;)

Has anyone read Olive Kitteredge? It was on the bestsellers list for a long time, but so far I'm not impressed. It's beautifully written, but I can't see a plot yet.
No. Haven't even heard of it, actually. Hopefully it will improve as you read along further.

I'm almost finished Steven Adler's book. As he and Slash were childhood friends, it's interesting reading Steven's versions of the same stories I read in Slash's book from when they were young, up to the G 'n R era. However, the decadent lifestyles they both lived just leaves me with my head shaking. It's a wonder both of them are still alive.

Next up will be Guilty as Sin, the sequel to the June's book of the month, which we have to read to get the conclusion of the story.

Then it will be onto July's book - A Nantucket Wedding.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just received via mail Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel by Frances & Joseph Gies.
It is a history book about technology and invention in the Middle Ages. It also contains drawings and photographs. It shows how prevalent industry was then.
"Technology is rarely an unmixed blessing. The Middle Ages has been criticized by some modern historians for its depletion of the European forests. ... "The judgement seems severe in light of medieval man's necessary dependence on trees for many purposes: building construction, tools, furniture, cooking and heating, the forge, the blast furnace, the bake oven, the pottery kiln, tile and brick making, glass-making, distilling. In the absence of technological means for increasing yields, the only way to grow more crops to feed the increasing population was to cultivate more land."
Really quite an informative read. 🌷 :silver: 🌻 🎼🌳:tree:⏳🍸💺🛏⛏⚓🛠🏚🏗🍴🏺🌹💐🌺:silver::)

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
p
I finished Unbroken. It is an amazing book. Has anyone else read it?
Lola3791 Lola3791 I have not read it yet, but I'd like to. Thanks for the tip. :) I understand that a movie came out in 2014 directed and produced by Angelina Jolie which won an AFI award. I have not seen it yet either. I'll probably read the book first, because books seem so much better; the imagination working full force. However, if the actor in the movie does not quite live up to what the book inspired, then it is somewhat disappointing. (That happened to me with the book The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles; when I saw Debra Winger she just did not seem quite right for the part.) 🌺 :silver: 💐🌼

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
p
Lola3791 Lola3791 I have not read it yet, but I'd like to. Thanks for the tip. :) I understand that a movie came out in 2014 directed and produced by Angelina Jolie which won an AFI award. I have not seen it yet either. I'll probably read the book first, because books seem so much better; the imagination working full force. However, if the actor in the movie does not quite live up to what the book inspired, then it is somewhat disappointing. (That happened to me with the book The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles; when I saw Debra Winger she just did not seem quite right for the part.) 🌺 :silver: 💐🌼
I've seen the movie, too, and I thought it was just as good as the book.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953
we are found two previously unknown novellas about Joe Grey in these collections :hyper:
Motherhood Is Murder
Christmas Cats
THANK YOU! Both are available from Thriftbooks, so I just ordered them before even answering this!

I finished the Dixie Hemmingway series, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I missed my calling...TWICE! I've often thought I should have been a librarian, and now wonder if I should have been a pet sitter. Blaize Clement had a very poetic turn of words on occasion. I'd be reading along, and suddenly she would describe a sunrise (for example) that literally took my breath away. When she died, and her son John took over the series, it was almost seamless except for that. He does some very nice descriptions as well, but...not like his mom.

I've now started over on the Miss Fortune series, and will re-read and read them from start to finish. And so far, I'm giggling just as much the second time through "Louisiana Longshot" as I did on the first reading!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
THANK YOU! Both are available from Thriftbooks, so I just ordered them before even answering this!

I finished the Dixie Hemmingway series, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I think I missed my calling...TWICE! I've often thought I should have been a librarian, and now wonder if I should have been a pet sitter. Blaize Clement had a very poetic turn of words on occasion. I'd be reading along, and suddenly she would describe a sunrise (for example) that literally took my breath away. When she died, and her son John took over the series, it was almost seamless except for that. He does some very nice descriptions as well, but...not like his mom.

I've now started over on the Miss Fortune series, and will re-read and read them from start to finish. And so far, I'm giggling just as much the second time through "Louisiana Longshot" as I did on the first reading!
22 volume of the main series, come soon :vibes::crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished re-reading the first six of the Miss Fortune series, and will be moving into new territory when I finish here. I have to tell you, I read these books in April, and even re-reading so soon, I was laughing like a hyena the entire time I was re-reading them!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished re-reading the first six of the Miss Fortune series, and will be moving into new territory when I finish here. I have to tell you, I read these books in April, and even re-reading so soon, I was laughing like a hyena the entire time I was re-reading them!
I loved them, too! I hope there’ll be more.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still working on the Lovely Lethal Gardens series while awaiting Tuesday's release of Mary Trump's
Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man, which I've preordered as an e-book.

The explosive tell-all book by Trump's niece is coming out two weeks earlier than expected

Still gagged: Mary Trump's restraining order extended until one day before tell-all book goes on sale

In practical terms, the book is already out: Some 600,000 copies have already been shipped to bookstores across the country. Plus, scores of journalists have read it and published multiple stories about its excoriating depiction of her uncle Donald and her grandfather, the late Fred Trump.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Bred to Kill by Franck Thilliez the sequel to Syndrome E and it's another roller-coaster ride. It was
translated from French by the same man that translated Syndrome E and he did an excellent job. I like to read
on the deck but we're having a heat wave and storms this morning.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm almost halfway through Guilty as Sin, the sequel to Night Sins, which was our June book club choice. Because book 1 left you hanging it was necessary to read the sequel to find "whodunnit". Once I finish, I'll be reading the July book - A Nantucket Wedding..

Status
Not open for further replies.