All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Purchased 2 new books today!

One of my favorite authors, Janie Chang, just released her new book: The Library of Legends
"China, 1937: When Japanese bombs begin falling on the city of Nanking, nineteen-year-old Hu Lian and her classmates at Minghua University are ordered to flee. Lian and a convoy of more than a hundred students, faculty, and staff must walk a thousand miles to the safety of China’s western provinces, a journey marred by hunger, cold, and the constant threat of aerial attack. And it is not just the student refugees who are at risk: Lian and her classmates have been entrusted with a priceless treasure, a 500-year-old collection of myths and folklore known as the Library of Legends. "

and I was recommended the book Hood Feminism because we can all stand to learn more.
"Today's feminist movement has a glaring blind spot, and paradoxically, it is women. Mainstream feminists rarely talk about meeting basic needs as a feminist issue, argues Mikki Kendall, but food insecurity, access to quality education, safe neighborhoods, a living wage, and medical care are all feminist issues. All too often, however, the focus is not on basic survival for the many, but on increasing privilege for the few. That feminists refuse to prioritize these issues has only exacerbated the age-old problem of both internecine discord, and women who rebuff at carrying the title. "

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Syndrome E-Franck Thilliez French thriller author, first of his books to be translated into English,
excellent translation, very scary, creepy but fun. Didn't read for several days so I'll read again today,

I'm just about ready to find out what was imbedded in the film and I am almost afraid to read it!!

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Purchased 2 new books today!

One of my favorite authors, Janie Chang, just released her new book: The Library of Legends
"China, 1937: When Japanese bombs begin falling on the city of Nanking, nineteen-year-old Hu Lian and her classmates at Minghua University are ordered to flee. Lian and a convoy of more than a hundred students, faculty, and staff must walk a thousand miles to the safety of China’s western provinces, a journey marred by hunger, cold, and the constant threat of aerial attack. And it is not just the student refugees who are at risk: Lian and her classmates have been entrusted with a priceless treasure, a 500-year-old collection of myths and folklore known as the Library of Legends. "

and I was recommended the book Hood Feminism because we can all stand to learn more.
"Today's feminist movement has a glaring blind spot, and paradoxically, it is women. Mainstream feminists rarely talk about meeting basic needs as a feminist issue, argues Mikki Kendall, but food insecurity, access to quality education, safe neighborhoods, a living wage, and medical care are all feminist issues. All too often, however, the focus is not on basic survival for the many, but on increasing privilege for the few. That feminists refuse to prioritize these issues has only exacerbated the age-old problem of both internecine discord, and women who rebuff at carrying the title. "
@Xraystlye those books sound very good. I do remember the protests of which I was a part in my teen years for women and ending the gender pay gap. It still exists today! The pay gap is currently about 81.1% of what male counterpart makes. Goodness Gracious! Still no equal pay for women for equal work! I hquaope the younger generation again demonstrates (with masks & physical distancing) like I did because it is still unconscionable that women do not have these rights still; after so many years of marching & educating the public (yes, women included). 🌺 :silver: 🌻🌷🎶💱🔑🌍⚔🎆🎇🚶‍♂️🚶‍♀️😷🎭😷❤:)❤🙏🐾👑🎨🖌🖼🎏🇺🇲🕊🦚🍑😈👺👷‍♀️⛑:sunshine::goldstar::sigh:😱🇭🇲🧙‍♀️👩‍⚖️👨‍⚖️

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've just received The Woman and The Puppet by Pierre Louys first published in France in 1898. This copy is translated to English by Jeremy Moore. I'm waiting on the original French copy.
For some strange reason they sent me 2 copies. But this book has stood the test of time; and it is considered a masterpiece. It has inspired 5 film versions, including von Steinberg's in 1935 and Bunuel's in 1977. Oscar Wilde described the author as "too beautiful to be a man". Marlene Dietrich took the role in The Devil is a Woman; Luis Bunuel called his version That Obscure Object of Desire.
The book is quite charming & delightful... 🌺:silver:🌻📚📗📖🎶:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am finished with Syndrome E and it was akin to a wild, crazy roller coaster ride!!
My library has the translated sequel, Bred to Kill and it's ready to be picked up
I hope they used the same translator.

I'm also going to begin Nantucket Wedding, I read it last summer and loved it.
Didn't think I would, thought it would be too mushy but not so.

What's everyone else reading?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm skipping July due to budget constraints. I could order it used, but it wouldn't arrive until the 21st. Ah, well.

I'm ALMOST finished with the Dixie Hemmingway books by Blaize and John Clement. John did a wonderful job of the books after Blaize died. The transition was almost seamless, although I miss Blaize's occasionally poetic prose. I have one more after the one I'm currently reading, "The Cat Sitter's Nine Lives." There's another out, but I don't have that yet.

After this, I'll be moving on to reading the ENTIRE Miss Fortune series, yes, even the first six which I've already read! I want to just move to Sinful, LA, and live there for awhile!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I finished the Library of Legends. It was good, although I wish it had gone just a little deeper.
Still working through Hood Feminism as it's a collection of essays, so I've been reading one or two at a time.

I think next I may read the Penguin Classics collection of Cesar Chavez's speeches/writings. I have always been interested in the labor movement and I think so much of the stuff from the last century is still totally relevant. It's like we all collectively reached a point and said "meh, good enough" even though we are still so far from labor equality.

Status
Not open for further replies.