All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Right now I'm trying to decide between non-fiction, American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America, or fiction,
The Loch Ness Papers (Scottish Bookshop Mystery #4).
After these two, I found a "Spenser" book by Robert B. Parker I hadn't read, Walking Shadow. Now I have to see if there are any other books in the Spenser series I missed.
I've just finished
Knocking on Doors: The True Story of the Moors Murders by Stephen McGrann, which was better than expected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
After these two, I found a "Spenser" book by Robert B. Parker I hadn't read, Walking Shadow. Now I have to see if there are any other books in the Spenser series I missed.
I've just finished
Knocking on Doors: The True Story of the Moors Murders by Stephen McGrann, which was better than expected.
Spenser books in order
The Spenser Series in Order by Robert B. Parker - FictionDB

Just got Knocking on Doors as a Read for Free on Kindle Fire. I knew of these murders but nothing in detail. Thanks for the tip!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm almost finished with "The Tell Tail Heart," which is the last of the Cat Café books that I have on hand. After that, I'm going to read "Invisible Imprints," a club read for a book club at another site (and a borrowed book that I need to return), and THEN I'm going to read OUR June read! After that, I should start on the Dixie Hemmingway series, but I may break down and hit the Miss Fortuner series in its entirety! And no, I DO NOT MIND re-reading the first six this quickly. They're that good!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've almost finished "Invisible Imprints" by Mary D'Agostino. I have really enjoyed this book. It is a memoir of her time as a young child in a sanitorium for rheumatic fever. I didn't even know those existed, or how serious rheumatic fever was in the 30's and 40's! Well, it took some digging, but I now know more than I imagined. Yes, there were sanitoriums for children with rheumatic fever, although more recent literature refers to "convalescent centers." I did locate a couple of photographs with the name "X Sanitorium" on them. This book was both heartrending and uplifting. I'll be sorry to say goodbye to it, but am REALLY looking forward to moving on to "Night SIns" later tonight.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm almost finished with Night Sins, may read the sequel, may finish others I've started.

Syndrome E-Franck Thilliez French thriller author, first of his books to be translated into English,
excellent translation, very scary, creepy but fun.

Where Monsters Lie: Sex, Murder, anad Madness in the Midwest by Gregg Olsen
Haven't started it, Tricia read it, I bought it for $4.00, hard copy.

The Sensitives: A Paranormal Horror Novel Rick Wood Very scary and creepy, fun about halfway finished, an EBook

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just reread the yellowed pages from 2004: The Confessions of Max Tivoli by Andrew Sean Greer. Still and always will be a beautiful read. 🌷 :silver: 🌻🌺:)🎶❤

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished "Night Sins," and am reading "Penelope," a regency romance that I was sent to review. It isn't a bad book, but the author isn't Georgette Heyer. Those, however, are VERY big shoes to fill! After I finish that and publish my review in The Library Thing, Goodreads, and on Amazon, I'll probably read the second Hoag, and then move on to the Dixie Hemmingway series.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Me and White Supremacy - Layla F Saad
A really important read that I recommend to tackle white supremacy at the individual level, revealing the ways in which we feed into this system and how to prevent that.
Just downloaded the EBook and am next on the hard copy reserve list. Thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Father would always say "Don't miss any opportunities." And I would always say the same thing to him. I do not know which one of us started it but it went on for decades. On this Father's Day I would like to honor him with a poem that we both loved. He was known at work as the "Living Legend". He worked at that company for well over 50 years and in fact started working there when it was common for highballs to be mostly the rage after work. So he started working for Gallo Winery as a salesperson/distributor. One time I was in Longs Drug Store buying some red long stemmed wine glasses. A young lady asked me "Don't you want some wine with that?" I said "Actually I am buying these for water, but what company are you representing? Yes, you guessed it~she worked for my father or rather my Father was training her. She immediately then said "Why, you are the Living Legend's daughter!" Of course we both had a nice laugh and when she married her husband, my father sent them this poem: A Drinking Song by William Butler Yeats. (dad was surprised when I told him the spelling was not "Yates" but Yeats. My Father used to buy wine at the stores he distributed to get the country started and now it is common to have wine at supper time. At our house, we also had candlelight and we said grace from a book of poetry read by any of us family members. There were 8 of us.

A Drinking Song

Wine comes in at the mouth
And Love comes in at the eye;
That's all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you and I sigh. (1910) 🌺 :silver: ❤ 🎶 🌻:)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My Father would always say "Don't miss any opportunities." And I would always say the same thing to him. I do not know which one of us started it but it went on for decades. On this Father's Day I would like to honor him with a poem that we both loved. He was known at work as the "Living Legend". He worked at that company for well over 50 years and in fact started working there when it was common for highballs to be mostly the rage after work. So he started working for Gallo Winery as a salesperson/distributor. One time I was in Longs Drug Store buying some red long stemmed wine glasses. A young lady asked me "Don't you want some wine with that?" I said "Actually I am buying these for water, but what company are you representing? Yes, you guessed it~she worked for my father or rather my Father was training her. She immediately then said "Why, you are the Living Legend's daughter!" Of course we both had a nice laugh and when she married her husband, my father sent them this poem: A Drinking Song by William Butler Yeats. (dad was surprised when I told him the spelling was not "Yates" but Yeats. My Father used to buy wine at the stores he distributed to get the country started and now it is common to have wine at supper time. At our house, we also had candlelight and we said grace from a book of poetry read by any of us family members. There were 8 of us.

A Drinking Song

Wine comes in at the mouth
And Love comes in at the eye;
That's all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at you and I sigh. (1910) 🌺 :silver: ❤ 🎶 🌻:)
That's beautiful!!! How nice to have come from a big family.

Status
Not open for further replies.