All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Will you download the Miss Fortune series?
[/Q

I have them in print form, but may actually download them so I can read them anytime, anywhere!

That's great !!!! :woohoo: Is it just a Kindle e-reader? Or did you get the Kindle Fire? Either way, now you'll have access to many more books, including the freebies at Bookbub.
It's HERE! No, not a Fire, just a plain eReader, and a smaller one, which is great, because on of the main reasons I wanted it was to carry in my purse when I go out. That way, if an appointment runs late, or I have to wait for a ride, I have something to do! The case is coming in a separate box, probably on Monday.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I decided to read John Grisham's The Guardians first. I just started it last night, and it seems like it will be a fairly fast read, so should finish it in lots of time to read our book club choice for June. :read:
rubysmama rubysmama is it not thinly disguised realism or just thriller? It might scare me to death. Let me know if you get a sec. :silver: 🌷

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, WHY didn't someone tell me that I skipped #27, "The Cat Who Went Bananas"??? Oh, well, reading it now, so Polly quit the library, went to the bookstore, and is now back at the library waiting for the bookstore to be complete. AI HAZ A CONFUSED!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
S sweet jane flash

@
sweet jane flash The Guardian

a bit about it
n this instant #1 New York Times bestseller, John Grisham delivers a classic legal thriller—with a twist.

“Terrific…affecting…Grisham has done it again.”—Maureen Corrigan, The Washington Post

“A suspenseful thriller mixed with powerful themes.”—Associated Press

In the small Florida town of Seabrook, a young lawyer named Keith Russo was shot dead at his desk as he worked late one night. The killer left no clues. There were no witnesses, no one with a motive. But the police soon came to suspect Quincy Miller, a young black man who was once a client of Russo’s.

Quincy was tried, convicted, and sent to prison for life. For twenty-two years he languished in prison, maintaining his innocence. But no one was listening. &nbs...
Source: Publisher

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama The Guardian sounds good, rubes, I may have to read it.
downloaded Heartburn from Kanopy but haven't watched it yet. I love it and haven't seen it in years.
The book is so good as well, finally finished The Old Religion and loved it!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm starting "The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers." Hard to believe that I only have a couple of short-story books now, and I'll be leaving KoKo and Yum Yum behind! I'd planned on reading the Cat Café books by Cate Conte and the Dixie Hemmingway (cat sitter) series by Blaize Clement next, but I may have to read the rest of the Miss Fortune series first! Dunno if I can hold out!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished Sue Monk Kidd's most recent book, The Book of Longings. She's a marvelous, thoughtful writer, and this book had a most interesting premise: That Jesus was married. The book was told from his wife Ana's point of view. And Sue Monk Kidd's "Author's Note" at the end of the book was fascinating. "The Bible," she writes, "is silent on the matter" of whether Jesus had a wife. Someone said to her that the Bible would have mentioned a wife. "But would it?" Monk Kidd asks. "The invisibility and silencing of women were real things." Anyway, if you're not squeamish about questioning what's accepted as "truth" about the past, I recommend the book.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished Sue Monk Kidd's most recent book, The Book of Longings. She's a marvelous, thoughtful writer, and this book had a most interesting premise: That Jesus was married. The book was told from his wife Ana's point of view.
Sounds interesting. May add it to my "to read" list. A similar book I have read is Anita Diamant's "The Red Tent" which tells the story of Jacob's daughter, Dinah.

In the home stretch of The Guardians.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently finished reading Winter of the World by Ken Follett. It is the second book in a series called the Century Trilogy.
It is a very long book and was finally able to finish it up because I have so much time being home because of the pandemic.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished The Guardians. I enjoyed it, and read it quite quickly. The plot, however, was just a tad too close to real life news right now :(But still a good typical John Grisham book.

Next up is Night Sins by Tami Hoag which is our June book of the month read. There's 4 of us reading it so far. If anyone else might want to read along with us, check out the June 2020 book of the month club thread for more info. As always, everyone is welcome.

1591307967607.png

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have now finished ALL of The Cat Who books, including the three volumes of short stories! Twenty-nine novels, plus those. YAY! I shall miss KoKo and Yum Yum, and their author will be sorely missed, but I think of those cats still living 400 miles north of everywhere with their faithful servant, Qwill. Perhaps Ms. Braun now lives in Moose County with them!

I'm now (re)reading "Cat About Town," the first of the Cat Café series by Cate Conte. I had read it before, but I have the rest of the series (or those available in paperback) now, so...begin at the beginning, as the King of Hearts advised Alice!

Status
Not open for further replies.