All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I was able to read more of The Pale Horse and I'm enjoying it. It differs from the BBC miniseries
but it's good. Minor things. In the ms, Mark Easterbrook didn't live in the Chelsea section of London
and Cornwall was featured but I don't think that will be the case here. Either way, A. Christie was
an excellent author.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I finished "The Cat Who Could Read Backwards" AND "The Cat Who Ate Danish Modern," and will start "The Cat Who Turned On and Off" when I finish up at TCS. I'd read a couple of these books a few years ago, in no particular order, and am really enjoying my binge-fest.

I like binging. It allows me to immerse myself in an author's world, and allow the story to unfold very organically. MORE BINGING TO COME! I also balanced the checkbook, smirked, and ordered all but the newest of the Blaize Clements Dixie Hemmingway series. Used, but still...THEY SHALL BE MINE!!!

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just finished two books by Sujata Massey, the first two "Perveen Mistry" Mysteries. They are about a Parsi female lawyer in 1920s Bombay. They are easy to read provided you have a bit of background information on cultures in India. The take on mysteries is interesting because as a female lawyer, she is able to access the wives, daughters, and mistresses who live in seclusion to help them solve money and property problems that would have otherwise been usurped by male agents "advocating" on their behalf. It definitely glosses over the real world that was 1920s India: Mistry is from a wealthy, progressive family; she studied at Oxford and so has high-level British connections; and her clients so far have been wealthy widows and even royalty, but they are fun, engaging reads. I'd suggest them if you like mysteries that aren't too rooted in the nitty gritty hard-boiled real world.

The author has another series about a female English teacher in Japan solving mysteries...I might try those out although I might have a strong reaction being an English teacher in Asia as well. Haha~

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I haven't been keeping up with the thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned Red Sister by Mark Lawrence? It was a daily deal on audible, so I got it. I wasn't thrilled by it - I guess if you're going to read/listen to a book about killer nuns you have to expect a lot of violence, but there was a lot of violence. :lol:
Anyone else read it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't been keeping up with the thread so I don't know if anyone has mentioned Red Sister by Mark Lawrence? It was a daily deal on audible, so I got it. I wasn't thrilled by it - I guess if you're going to read/listen to a book about killer nuns you have to expect a lot of violence, but there was a lot of violence. :lol:
Anyone else read it?
I haven't read it but now I want to, killer nuns?? ha!!!

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished two books by Sujata Massey, the first two "Perveen Mistry" Mysteries. They are about a Parsi female lawyer in 1920s Bombay. They are easy to read provided you have a bit of background information on cultures in India. The take on mysteries is interesting because as a female lawyer, she is able to access the wives, daughters, and mistresses who live in seclusion to help them solve money and property problems that would have otherwise been usurped by male agents "advocating" on their behalf. It definitely glosses over the real world that was 1920s India: Mistry is from a wealthy, progressive family; she studied at Oxford and so has high-level British connections; and her clients so far have been wealthy widows and even royalty, but they are fun, engaging reads. I'd suggest them if you like mysteries that aren't too rooted in the nitty gritty hard-boiled real world.

The author has another series about a female English teacher in Japan solving mysteries...I might try those out although I might have a strong reaction being an English teacher in Asia as well. Haha~
Those books sound really interesting. I'll have to check them out.

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started reading a fantasy series my friend got me as a gift. I'm only a few chapters in but I can tell that I'm going to like the book. 🤗
It is so nice having a friend who always, somehow, manages to pick out perfect books for me. ❤

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading book #4 of The Cat Who (the The Cat Who? That doesn't sound right...) series, "The Cat Who Saw Red." I'd read some of them awhile back, out of order, so this is fun!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Having just watched all of the Cadfaels on DVD from the 1990s (with the incomparable Sir Derek Jacobi), I decided to re-read the Ellis Peters books. I’ve checked out the first one, A Morbid Taste for Bones. It’s been so long since I read them that it will feel like meeting up with an old friend. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished Orphan's Song, the first book in The Song Keeper Chronicles. It was okay. I wish there was more action in it. I'm two chapters into the second book and I like the direction it is going in.

Status
Not open for further replies.