All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading a book called Trim, the Cartographer's Cat. Two of my favorite subjects: cats and cartography. It's actually pretty enjoyable because it's basically the biography of the cat written by the cartographer, Matthew Flinders, in the late 1700s and it reads how you would expect a cat lover would describe their favorite cat. Even for something written over 200 years ago I've been finding it kind of hilarious.
I've never read anything that old except the Bible, hee
Job Outlook
Employment of cartographers and photogrammetrists is projected to grow 15 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. Job prospects are likely to be excellent due to the increasing use of maps in government planning.Sep 4, 2019

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Job Outlook
Employment of cartographers and photogrammetrists is projected to grow 15 percent from 2018 to 2028, much faster than the average for all occupations. Job prospects are likely to be excellent due to the increasing use of maps in government planning.Sep 4, 2019
That is why I'm getting my Master's in it. ;)

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
AAAAAND, I'm back to the Miss Fortune series, for three more books (hoping to order more soon). The absurdity continues, and I'm just smitten with this series. What can I say, without spoiling the books for you? OH...a bobcat who chases a flashlight like a red dot, to the dismay of the FBI, rock salt in Carter's butt, and Ida Belle bought a HARLEY!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
AAAAAND, I'm back to the Miss Fortune series, for three more books (hoping to order more soon). The absurdity continues, and I'm just smitten with this series. What can I say, without spoiling the books for you? OH...a bobcat who chases a flashlight like a red dot, to the dismay of the FBI, rock salt in Carter's butt, and Ida Belle bought a HARLEY!
Thanks to you, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , I’ve just finished the entire Miss Fortune series, AND I WANT MORE!! She has another coming out this year, and I can’t wait! I’ve also started the Mudbug books. I like them but not as much as Miss Fortune. I also read the first Shaye Archer book, and let me warn you that it’s NOT a cozy mystery.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would anyone think I was terrible if I used part of my stimulus check to buy more Miss Fortune books and a Kindle eReader? Still working on "Soldiers of Fortune," and laughing like a hyena the entire time!

You're right, Tobermory Tobermory , the Mudbug books are good, but NOT on a par with the Miss Fortune series. I guess that would be too much to ask! The Mudbug books came first, I THINK...I remember seeing them years before I knew about Miss Fortune, so perhaps she simply grew as a writer?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm about 70% through Pale Rider: The Spanish Flu of 1918 and How it Changed the World by Laura Spinney.

It's excellent, very comprehensible to laypersons and of course topical (it was published in 2017, but speculates how governments will try to cope with the next pandemic). It delves into so many aspects of the 1918 pandemic that you can't help wondering what long-term scientific, social, political and economic impact the Covid-19 pandemic will have across the world.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Would anyone think I was terrible if I used part of my stimulus check to buy more Miss Fortune books and a Kindle eReader? Still working on "Soldiers of Fortune," and laughing like a hyena the entire time!
Of course not!! You need a Fire and you can borrow EBooks from the library, saving you money.:hugs:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Would anyone think I was terrible if I used part of my stimulus check to buy more Miss Fortune books and a Kindle eReader?
Of course not!! You need a Fire and you can borrow EBooks from the library, saving you money.:hugs:
I agree with Mia6 Mia6 . There's lots of free books to borrow from libraries, and other sites, so you'll end up saving money in the long run. :thumbsup: Plus e-books save trees, so good for the environment too. 🌎

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished the three Miss Fortune books, read the April 2020 read, AND read "Will My Cat Eat My Eyeballs." And started on "The Cat Who Read Backwards." Yep, I'm now binging on the ENTIRE The Cat Who series! That should keep me going for a few days!

Plotting for my Kindle!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
You're a fast reader!! What's next?
More non-fiction: The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History
by John M. Barry

It's very similar to
Pale Rider, but concentrates on the US rather than the whole world. I've finished part one, which talks about the development of microbiology and how the establishment of Johns Hopkins revolutionized medical schools in the US, which were way behind their European counterparts in the 19th century.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I was finally able to focus a bit and began The Pale Horse by Agatha Christie. I had read a few chapters
but restarted it. I can watch the BBC miniseries on Prime but it would be on my laptop because I don't
have a smart tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.