All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xraystyle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am on the last book in the Ibis trilogy by Amitav Ghosh.

It's been an absolute adventure reading these books and has really taught me a lot about the colonial age in Asia leading up to the Opium Wars. Ghosh's characters span the gamut from Bangladeshi peasants to Chinese scholars to British opium dealers to French amateur botanists. He changes perspectives often and it's amazing to see everything moving towards a shared ending. It also helps teach ignorant Americans like me (because we definitely did not learn about this stuff in school, only that the opium wars were a thing that happened) the complicated political, social, and economical relationships between nations and why people still hold the attitudes and prejudices that they do.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished "Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter," and started both "Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon" AND our March read, "The Housekeeper." I'm five chapters in on that one and have already had a few surprises! MORE TONIGHT!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am reading Without a Trace about disappearing from 1881 to 1968. The first one was a balloon trying to cross the English Channel. Very good. Gets into detail. Another free BookBub selection.
Oh, that sounds really interesting. I imagine the Bermuda Triangle will be one area they focus on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading The Housekeeper. Our library will be closed for a weeks because of COVID19.
I am soo happy that I have a tablet. I have a lot of hard copy books I can read. Also I can
download from Hoopla and Kanopy.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I am reading Without a Trace about disappearing from 1881 to 1968. The first one was a balloon trying to cross the English Channel. Very good. Gets into detail. Another free BookBub selection.
I read that recently and enjoyed it. It was different.

I've just finished two Comics and Coffee Case Files , which weren't bad for freebies.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading "Aunt Dimity Down Under," and "The Housekeeper," our March 2020 read. Only five chapters in on "The Housekeeper," and am already enthralled. The last Aunt Dimity, "Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon" was, as usual, excellent. I'm really enjoying a mystery series that doesn't focus on murders.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a lot to be said of living in a small village, the local library just phoned and asked if I would like some books dropped at my door. I leave the ones I have read outside my front door and they will drop 4 new ones off for me. How's that for community service.
That's amazing, Mush!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There's a lot to be said of living in a small village, the local library just phoned and asked if I would like some books dropped at my door. I leave the ones I have read outside my front door and they will drop 4 new ones off for me. How's that for community service.
That is great !!! Libraries are closed here, but it looks like they're still adding new e-books.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Murder Most Feline
When Law Meets Paw . . .The result is this delightful anthology of seventeen courtroom tales by top-notch mystery writers. Cats and mysteries go hand-in-hand, no doubt. After all, what other animal is as mysterious as the common -- yet never ordinary -- house cat? What lurks behind that smug expression? What hidden secrets belie that indifferent stare?
Always dignified, cats are quick to deal out their own justice with a claw or bite, and so it is only natural we find them in a variety of roles in these feline mysteries. Cats take the stand in their own defense to pounce on criminals, provide evidence, and turn the legal system on its collective ear -- all in the name of justice. From a private eye who goes to bat for a cat's inheritance to a common mouser who turns out to be quite a bit more during a high-profile murder trial, these tales of crime are as crafty and cunning as kitties themselves -- and just as entertaining!
The jury has returned, the bailiff is calling the court to order, and the judge is staring at the jury. Sit back and get ready to watch law meet paw in these mostly original stories.

Contents:
The witness cat / Parnell Hall
Justice knows no paws / Jon L. Breen
It's in the bag / Bill Crider
Animal sounds / Dulcy Brainard
Blue eyes / Janet Dawson
Cat, the jury / Catherine Dain
The memory pool / Tracy Knight
The lawlessness west of the Pecos / Jan Grape
Catnip / Dick Lochte
Hoskin's cat / Shirley Rousseau Murphy
Missing the cat / Mat Coward
Prints / Ann Barrett
Mr. Biggles for the defense / Matthew J. Costello
Family ties / Richard Chizmar and Barry Hoffman
For the benefit of Bootsy / Jeremiah Healy
In the lowlands / Gary A. Braunbeck

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished Come from Away last night. It was good, not great, but ok. I did enjoy that it was a historical novel set in Canada. And when reading the author's notes, I learned she'd written an earlier novel about the same family: Tides of Honour. So I plan to put that one on my "to read" list.

Meanwhile, I want to read something light.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "The Housekeeper." Loved it. Will read more by this author. I also finished "Aunt Dimity and the Village Witch," and started both "Aunt Dimity and the Lost Prince" and "Why Wait and Weep," by a local author. It is stories of women from the Civil War who took things into their own hands, on both sides. I've only read a couple of pages of that one. No opinion yet, but if done properly, could be excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.