All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’ve been reading the Miss Fortune series that Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 mentioned, and this exchange almost caused me to spew wine all over the room!
There have been SEVERAL "spew the wine" moments for me! My three favorites thus far (I only have 3 of the books so far) have been the fish in the face incident, the falling through the bottom of the car trunk incident, and the boat in the back of the jeep incident. And for those who have not yet begun, it pays to remember that Gertie and Ida Belle are in their 70s, I believe, or VERY near it!

OH...Tobermory, Sinful, Louisiana. ENJOY!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got the hard copy of The Pale Horse, written in 1961 by Agatha Christie. Mush watched a
two-part tv show last week based on the book. She sent me a BBC link and just the pics creeped
me out so much I knew I had to see it but it's not available here, so I got a copy from the library.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Started the seventh book in the Bellingwood series last night. I have 7, 8, and 9. And then, unless I can find them free, I'll be done. I don't want to buy the books.

I like Miranda James, but haven't read the whole series. I read Twelve Angry Librarians and 6 Cats a Slayin', but those are the only ebooks my library has.
all these books are in free Library Genesis :)

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ordered them all. I'm not good at "don't judge a book by its cover." If it has a dog or cat on the cover I need to cut the eye contact less than 5 seconds or I purchase. :compsurfing:
here is just the case when a dog and a cat are present only on the cover and in a couple of episodes :( but a couple of elderly ladies conducting investigations are very good :( humor and wisdom :)

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
SO...I finished "The Last Time I Lied," and incidentally found the most comfortable position for reading an ebook on my laptop, which will allow me to buy MORE BOOKS from ebook sources! I also read "Aunt Dimity's Death," and "Aunt Dimity and the Duke," AND started on "Aunt Dimity's Good Deed." Been busy reading and nursing a broken toe. Good time to read!
сan't you read e-books on your smartphone? :) there are many applications :)

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just got the hard copy of The Pale Horse, written in 1961 by Agatha Christie. Mush watched a
two-part tv show last week based on the book. She sent me a BBC link and just the pics creeped
me out so much I knew I had to see it but it's not available here, so I got a copy from the library.
who is Mush? :) :hellocomputer:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
сan't you read e-books on your smartphone? :) there are many applications :)
[/QUOTE]

Old eyes, and a 4" screen on an older smartphone. I end up squinting a LOT! But on my laptop, I have Kindle, Kobo, and Nook. Now that I've found a comfy position to read it, I'm SET!

Reading "Aunt Dimity Dig In" now. JUST started it, so I don't have much of an opinion yet, but so far, I'm very much enjoying this series. I would LOVE to have my very own "Aunt Dimity," to tell the truth. I wouldn't mind living with that ghost in the least!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan on reading The Pale Horse and Lethal Beauty, a true crime.Since I'll be across the pond for The Pale Horse
I may read others based there. Perhaps Book 3 of the Yorkshire Dark Mysteries DI Nathaniel Caslin, The Widow
Next Door, Killing me Softly.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
what about a tablet or reader? :)
I would LOVE to have one. However, I have a very tiny budget, and a decent eReader would just kill my budget for the month. I do set money back as I can for special items, but the eReader is low on the list with the apps already there on my computer!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would LOVE to have one. However, I have a very tiny budget, and a decent eReader would just kill my budget for the month. I do set money back as I can for special items, but the eReader is low on the list with the apps already there on my computer!
this is sad :( maybe there is an opportunity to get an inexpensive second-hand?...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do keep an eye on the prices for the Kindle Fires. As I mentioned upthread, I got the Kindle Fire 8 on sale for $79, and I LOVE it. It's bigger than my KOBO e-reader, but small enough that reading a book on it was comfortable.

The Kindle Fires go on sale a lot, and in the US right now, the Kindle Fire 8 is going for $59.99, including Kindle Unlimited. And the Kindle Fire 7 is on sale for $39.99 !!!! So something to think about.

I still LOVE my KOBO e-reader, but the bonus with the Kindle Fire, is being able to surf the net, as well as read.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know y'all think this is absurd, but $40 is a BIG bite out of my budget. I MAY be able to swing it after the 3rd of the month, but by then the sale will be over. HOWEVER, I can now read comfortably on my laptop, so long as I'm in my recliner, and I NEVER buy a handbag that won't hold a paperback book! I'm good for now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I totally understand not being able to spend outside of a budget. And especially for non-essentials. You would probably also want a case, which would add to the costs. But Amazon has sales a lot, so if you do ever decide you want to buy one, don't pay full price.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a huge Clive Cussler fan and I've read every book he wrote....and there are a lot of them. I love his Dirk Pitt series, but have also enjoyed the Oregon Files and I do love Issac Bell, too. I just started collecting books from The Oregon Files, I have all the Dirk Pitt books. Excellent reading.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/clive-cussler-dead_n_5e5749bfc5b66622ed7

Status
Not open for further replies.