All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't read anything by her in a long time. But years ago, I used to read every book she released. Are her current books still tearjerkers?
Her son took his own life in 1997. I happened to be in San Francisco when it occurred and it was front page news. I think she
lives near there. I've read after that, her books are a bit more realistic.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Another question, can you get TV station apps, i.e. watch tv online with the Kindle Fire?
If you have Amazon Prime and you have a Kindle Fire. you can watch movies, TV shows that they offer.
I have Prime but my Kindle is only a 7. I tried watching an episode of Mad Men and it was just too tiny and also
it was from season 2 and I own the season 1 and 2 so why not watch it on my television?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was contemplating the Kindle Fire 10, but it doesn't look like Hoopla supports that version yet. So now I'm undecided again, as I think the newer one with the larger screen would be the best one for me.

Speaking of Hoopla, they have a lot of TV shows as well. For example, all these Food ones: https://www.hoopladigital.com/genre/364909261

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried it. What kind of books do you read to them?

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie Harris and his Maine Coon cat, Diesel, are embroiled in a new mystery when a cold case suddenly heats up in the latest installment of the New York Times bestselling series.

Charlie Harris has been enjoying some peace and quiet with his new grandson when a mysterious man with a connection to an unsolved murder starts visiting the library...

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, I'm quoting myself. LOL

I was contemplating the Kindle Fire 10, but it doesn't look like Hoopla supports that version yet. So now I'm undecided again, as I think the newer one with the larger screen would be the best one for me.
I contacted Hoopla, and they replied to advise that they support "all Kindle devices running Fire OS 5.0.0 and newer", which should include the Kindle Fire 10 afterall. :headscratch:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished "The Shape Shifter," as well as the next book, "Spider Woman's Daugher," and am now reading "Rock With Wings." "The Shape Shifter" was the last book in the series by Tony Hillerman. After his death, his daugher, Anne, took over, debuting with "Spider Woman's Daughter. I was worried about the change in authors, but this is what I posted about the book at Goodreads...

"I sat down with the book in my hands. My heart was heavy. I never got to know Tony Hillerman's works while he was alive, and now, after getting to know Leaphorn and Chee so well, after being enthralled by their adventures, and having my heart lifted by the wonderful glimpses into traditional Navajo life and spirituality...after falling in love with a series, I had to face this moment. Tony is gone, and his series is in his daughter's hands. It's a whole new game, and I was afraid...just a bit. I needn't have been. Anne has picked up the thread of these tales with a steady hand, and brings to them something I was missing without ever knowing it was gone. Bernadette Chee, née Manuelito, now has a voice. She was a well-drawn character from the start, but now she has a real voice, and OH, it sings!

After attending a breakfast with colleagues, Bernie steps into the parking lot of the restaurant just in time to see someone she loves gunned down in front of her. After being removed from the case, as per protocol, Bernie finds that she just cannot sit back, wringing her hands and doing nothing. She sets out to help, working at the edges of the mystery...who shot her friend? Why? HOW? In doing so, Bernie becomes fully the woman we all had glimpses of, but never really knew very well.

Those who love Tony Hillerman's works will quickly come to love Anne Hillerman's work as well. She is a deft storyteller, with the same deep respect for and knowledge of a fast-disappearing way of life."

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still pecking away at the Anne of Green Gables series by LM Montgomery. I've taken a break in between books. I read some books by Frank Peretti (he's a great author; anyone read anything by him?) and A Madness so Discreet by Mindy McGinnis. A Madness So Discreet was a terrific book.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
of course, books about cats :) especially detective stories and fantasy :)
I'm going to read aloud to Cal and see if she likes it. She loves when I talk to her, darling girl.💖
rubysmama rubysmama Are you getting the Fire 10?

I read some books by Frank Peretti (he's a great author; anyone read anything by him?) and A Madness so Discreet by Mindy McGinnis. A Madness So Discreet was a terrific book.
I've never read anything by either of them but adding to my list as well.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Great review!!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

:yeah:

That's why I think she'd be a great addition to our book club discussions. :read:

Speaking of our book club, we get to start discussing our January book tomorrow. So if you read "The Mountain Between Us", don't forget to tell us what you thought. If you haven't read it, tread carefully if you decide to check out the thread, as there will be spoilers.

I'm still reading Elton John's autobiography, "Me". Considering the life he lead when he was younger, it's amazing he's still alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.