All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
rubysmama rubysmama Rebecca is a classic and I'm sure I have a copy I can lend you. I sent you a PM and if that doesn't work for you maybe you have a post office box I could use to send a paperback.

I enjoyed The Mountain Between Us so much that I realized I've become a bit of a book snob. My huge stack of nonfiction isn't getting read because I'm too stressed out to absorb information but binge reading two novels in a row did such wonders for my mental state that I was able to "do life" more efficiently.

So I'm not turning up my nose at the Demi Moore book. Maybe the perspective I bring to the discussionas a non-TV watcher without a lot of preconceived notions about who she is will be interesting. I wouldn't want to be part of a community where everybody is exactly the same so maybe all y'all don't either.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama . Because I have been reading a lot of Archers books lately, Mia6 Mia6 is calling him my husband as I spend so much time with him.
LOL.

Can't you read it on your tablet?
I don't have a tablet. I read my e-books on a KOBO e-reader, which is not compatible with Kindle.

we wonder if anyone here has read Erin Hunter’s books from the Cats-Warriors series? :)
I started one once, but then a book I was waiting for became available and I never did get back to it. The Warriors series has come up on the site before, and someone mentioned that they have a fair amount of descriptive violence in them, which doesn't entice me get back to them. Here's the site search results for "Warriors" if you're interested. It does look like, however, not all the results are about the cat books, but there's not too many, so should be easy to figure out which are which. Search Results for Query: warriors

rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama Rebecca is a classic and I'm sure I have a copy I can lend you. I sent you a PM and if that doesn't work for you maybe you have a post office box I could use to send a paperback.
I can't believe I never heard about "Rebecca" until recently, considering it being a classic and all. My library doesn't have the e-book version, but does have paperbacks, so if I can't find it any other way, I can always borrow the hard copy book.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI for Nancy Drew Lovers, a new show starts tonight on the CW channel. I don't have tv but I thought I'd post it
those who may want to watch I heard a clip on the radio and it sounded good.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama We got a Kindle Fire for Rick's mother and she loves it. Because of her poor eyesight, it's hard for her to read and, for now anyway, the Fire solved her reading problem. I download library e-books for her and she devours them. I really like her Fire.

Rick and I went to the farmers' market yesterday. I don't know if I mentioned this before; there's a woman at the market who sells hardcovers for 4 for $10. That's a good price, even better than Thriftbooks (I love Thriftbooks). I've starting collecting the "In Death" series by JD Robb and bought 8 more books yesterday. The only thing is that she doesn't have the older books and I'm really interested in them as I've pretty much read the newer stuff. I'd like to see how the whole thing started between Dallas and Roarke. (And I smile every time she "cracks a tube of Pepsi". I also like Sue Grafton's "Letter" series and have been getting a few of those here and there.

As a child, I was a huge Nancy Drew fan. For years, I was never able to read "The Clue of the Dancing Puppet". I don't know why, just never got around to reading it. A few years ago, I went into the library, into the children's section and got Puppet. The librarian knows me and said, "Is this for you, Pam?" And I said, "Yes! I always liked Nancy Drew and never got around to reading this one. And by golly, I want to read it!" She smiled and said, "You know, Pam, I really like you!" Whatever that meant was fine with me. I think she likes to see people who truly love to read.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
No, I hadn't. But I just Googled, and I am now. ;) I'll have to do more research, but it sounds like it could work for me. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
I use my Kindle Fire every day for Web browsing (TCS!), reading digital newspapers, etc.. It's well worth the price.

I'm halfway through the third Isle of Man Ghostly Cozy Mystery set (books G through I).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Totally understand. I don't actually buy any books, as I borrow ebooks from the library. Do you have a library near you that you borrow books from?
There is a library, but the cab fare there and back is almost as much as a new book! That's also why I do ALL of my shopping once a month! Now, I do use Thriftbooks, and am very happy with them, but it is used books, and it can be hard to get newer ones in time for a book club situation. I read everything six months or more behind everyone else!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama We got a Kindle Fire for Rick's mother and she loves it. Because of her poor eyesight, it's hard for her to read and, for now anyway, the Fire solved her reading problem. I download library e-books for her and she devours them. I really like her Fire.
I use my Kindle Fire every day for Web browsing (TCS!), reading digital newspapers, etc.. It's well worth the price.
Thanks Winchester Winchester and jcat jcat for your comments. I was toying with buying either an I-pad or Android tablet, but now am thinking a Kindle Fire might be a good choice for me. Did you guys buy them via Amazon? Or locally?

Also, any opinion on whether the entry level, i.e. cheapest, are good enough, or if it would be better to spend a bit more?

There is a library, but the cab fare there and back is almost as much as a new book! That's also why I do ALL of my shopping once a month! Now, I do use Thriftbooks, and am very happy with them, but it is used books, and it can be hard to get newer ones in time for a book club situation. I read everything six months or more behind everyone else!
I was about to suggest borrowing e-books, but remembered you like the feel of a real book. ;) Hopefully, eventually, you'll be able to get hold of a book that we choose for the book club, because your passion for books would certainly make you perfect contributor to the discussions.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Did you guys buy them via Amazon? Or locally?

Also, any opinion on whether the entry level, i.e. cheapest, are good enough, or if it would be better to spend a bit more?
I bought a Fire HD 8 16 GB (with ads) directly from Amazon 2 1/2 years ago. It was on sale at the time. I don't have experience with the other models.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I hadn't. But I just Googled, and I am now. ;) I'll have to do more research, but it sounds like it could work for me. Thanks for mentioning it. :)
You're welcome!. Because of physical issues with my shoulders, arms and hands, I read a lot on the Kindle as it's much easier and almost painless to use but I would much rather read the hard copy book. In the summer I read a lot of hard copies while on the deck in a comfortable chair. with a pillow holding the book.

Once you get one, you;ll hink 'why didn't I buy one before?':thumbsup: :yess:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Winchester Winchester and jcat jcat for your comments. I was toying with buying either an I-pad or Android tablet, but now am thinking a Kindle Fire might be a good choice for me. Did you guys buy them via Amazon? Or locally?

I was about to suggest borrowing e-books, but remembered you like the feel of a real book. ;) Hopefully, eventually, you'll be able to get hold of a book that we choose for the book club, because your passion for books would certainly make you perfect contributor to the discussions.
I've had pretty much every Kindle Fire so far and now I have the 10. I love it. It's bigger than the 8 and that makes it nice especially for reading. They make a nice product. It's $150 right now but it does go on sale sometimes. I don't do physical books anymore. They take up space and are dust collectors.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I bought a Fire HD 8 16 GB (with ads) directly from Amazon 2 1/2 years ago. It was on sale at the time. I don't have experience with the other models.
What's the story on the ads? I saw that mentioned a few times in reviews. :paranoid:

Once you get one, you;ll hink 'why didn't I buy one before?':thumbsup: :yess:
You're probably right. I definitely felt that way about my KOBO e-reader.

I've had pretty much every Kindle Fire so far and now I have the 10. I love it. It's bigger than the 8 and that makes it nice especially for reading. They make a nice product. It's $150 right now but it does go on sale sometimes. I don't do physical books anymore. They take up space and are dust collectors.
Looks like the Kindle Fire 10 is $199 at amazon.ca, so not too much higher than the US price. I'd need a case too, right?

I don't do physical books anymore either. Too hard to read with my "older" eyes, and also just space/dust collectors.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What's the story on the ads? I saw that mentioned a few times in reviews. :paranoid:

You're probably right. I definitely felt that way about my KOBO e-reader.

Looks like the Kindle Fire 10 is $199 at amazon.ca, so not too much higher than the US price. I'd need a case too, right?

I don't do physical books anymore either. Too hard to read with my "older" eyes, and also just space/dust collectors.
It has ads that play on the screen unless you pay a one time fee when you buy the tablet to NOT have them which I did. It's not much. The price you are quoting is likely the without ads price. Yes. I recommend a case. I also recommend getting a longer charging cord.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Tobermory, rubysmama, these are the most moving books of all that we read :) yes, there are battles and illnesses, but this is life with its joys and sorrows ...

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It has ads that play on the screen unless you pay a one time fee when you buy the tablet to NOT have them which I did. It's not much. The price you are quoting is likely the without ads price. Yes. I recommend a case. I also recommend getting a longer charging cord.
I've been doing some more reading on the Kindle Fire 10, and apparently ads don't come on it in Canada. So the higher price is probably the exchange rate between the US/CAD $. Also, Alexa doesn't work yet in Canada. Since I don't know what "she" does, I don't think that will be an issue.

Another question, can you get TV station apps, i.e. watch tv online with the Kindle Fire?

Back to actual reading, I'm about 1/3 through Elton John's book. It's quite interesting, but really sad that despite his fame, he was having insecurity/depression issues, which lead him to doing drugs. :(

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ya know...I do have the Kindle app on my laptop...

OK...so, I just started "Spider Woman's Daughter," the first of the Leaphorn and Chee books written by Anne Hillerman following her father's death. So far, so good. Although a cat is lost in the desert, and I doubt it will be seen again...THAT bothers me. Maybe the cat will be found...I hope so. I do NOT plan to let that destroy my interest in the book. I just could have done without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.