All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, great. By reading about it, it looked like it wouldn't work on a desktop, but if your laptop works, hopefully my desktop will as well. :crossfingers:

HOOPLA still doesn't have one book you're recommended, Mia6 Mia6 - Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. :sigh:
They didn't have Rebecca? I'm surprised. The guy from Reference told me that HOOPLA didn't have a great selection.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They didn't have Rebecca? I'm surprised. The guy from Reference told me that HOOPLA didn't have a great selection.
Someday I'll find "Rebecca". Meanwhile, thanks for telling us about HOOPLA. It's another option for us library readers. :)

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just started Demi Moore's memoir Inside Out last night. Wow. She's another one who's been through a lot. She just got started on GH at the point I'm at. Her childhood was rough. I've loved Demi since the 80's.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading "The Shapeshifter." It's going to have to be really good to beat "The Skeleton Man."

Well, since you asked, maybe it's not too late to read our Jan book of the month. :D It's a good book. Honest. :read:
As much as I would LOVE to take part in the book club (and that's a WHOLE LOT), my budget doesn't allow for buying new books very often. I get almost all of my books at Thriftbooks, for about $4 each, free shipping over $10. So I can get at least 3 new-to-me books every month! I do have the Jan book on my list, but will have to wait for it to be available secondhand.

Albus&minnie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now reading "The Shapeshifter." It's going to have to be really good to beat "The Skeleton Man."

As much as I would LOVE to take part in the book club (and that's a WHOLE LOT), my budget doesn't allow for buying new books very often. I get almost all of my books at Thriftbooks, for about $4 each, free shipping over $10. So I can get at least 3 new-to-me books every month! I do have the Jan book on my list, but will have to wait for it to be available secondhand.
I don't really read , it gives me headaches , but i do like to read for a while!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I just started Demi Moore's memoir Inside Out last night. Wow. She's another one who's been through a lot. She just got started on GH at the point I'm at. Her childhood was rough. I've loved Demi since the 80's.
I started it as well. I've always liked her.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I remember her on General Hospital too. She was someone's sister, wasn't she? Hmmm... must Google.

Totally understand. I don't actually buy any books, as I borrow ebooks from the library. Do you have a library near you that you borrow books from?

I don't really read , it gives me headaches , but i do like to read for a while!
You can get audio books, which maybe wouldn't give you headaches.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I'm not crazy about the ethics behind Abe Books (it's basically Amazon for used books), but it's usually $3.99 INCLUDING shipping for trade paperbacks. I had no problem getting the book club book in a timely fashion. I've also had good luck with eBay and Craig's List, but nothing beats local thrift stores.

There's also interlibrary loan, Little Free Libraries, Z library, and/or Library Genesis, depending on local laws and regulations, of course. I've thought about setting up one of these:

but I think most people in my country are too paranoid about sharing with their neighbours to even log into it. :(

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have a look at Alibris. When I cant get a book I really want to read from the library I buy second-hand from them, some with postage cost about $5.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I remember her on General Hospital too. She was someone's sister, wasn't she? Hmmm... must Google.

Totally understand. I don't actually buy any books, as I borrow ebooks from the library. Do you have a library near you that you borrow books from?

You can get audio books, which maybe wouldn't give you headaches.
She played Jackie Templeton on GH

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You should read your husband's book first, Lady Mush, ha!! :lol:
Which one's her husband? ;) Must be Peter James, as she's mentioned not liking Jeffrey Archer. :lol:

rubysmama rubysmama I checked Amazon Canada and they have new copies of Rebecca for &4.99
Thanks for checking! I see they also have the Kindle version for $4.99, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. But just have to figure out if/how to read it on my desktop.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Which one's her husband? ;) Must be Peter James, as she's mentioned not liking Jeffrey Archer. :lol:

Thanks for checking! I see they also have the Kindle version for $4.99, so I wouldn't have to pay shipping. But just have to figure out if/how to read it on my desktop.
Can't you read it on your tablet?

Status
Not open for further replies.