All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
There is now another app integrated wih my library entitled HOOPLA. You can borrow Ebooks, Audiobooks, Movies, magazines etc
You may keep the E Books 21 days but the movies must be returned in 5.I borrowed Sophie's Choice, the movie.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Overdrive is another app many library uses for e-book lending :) I have the Overdrive app on my Fire tablet. I don't use it much. I prefer actual books to e-books, although I do like how Overdrive has magazines available for lending.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Overdrive is another app many library uses for e-book lending :)
I've been using Overdrive with my e-reader and borrowing from the library for the past 5 years, and generally the selection is good, but wait times can be long for new releases.

HOOPLA, on the other hand, doesn't have wait times. And my library has it, so I really need to learn more about it.

Mia6 Mia6 : what devices are you borrowing from HOOPLA on?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just finished Blue Moon by Lee Child, I always enjoy his books. I'm now going to start The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin which is the January Book of the Month for our book club. Anyone else reading it?

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using Overdrive with my e-reader and borrowing from the library for the past 5 years, and generally the selection is good, but wait times can be long for new releases.

HOOPLA, on the other hand, doesn't have wait times. And my library has it, so I really need to learn more about it.

Mia6 Mia6 : what devices are you borrowing from HOOPLA on?
I borrowed a movie and a book. I can keep the book for 21 days like I can with Overdrive but the movie, only 5 days.
The movie selection is not that great, Their magazine selection is good,

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I will check on Hoopla. I have Overdrive with Libby through our library and the waiting times can sometimes be as long as six months! Rick's mom is using Overdrive on her Kindle Fire, so I'll check for Hoopla for her, too. Thanks!

I'm still working on Old Bones, which is excellent so far. The problem is that I'm reading it in the shed and so, when Rick is out there, then I'm in the house and then I read on my iPad.

On my iPad to read -
Apple Cider Staying - Julie Anne Lindsey
Haunted House Murder - Leslie Meier (I like her cozy mysteries)

Read thus far in 2020 -
Far and Away - Fern Michaels (Part of the Godmother Series)
A Borrowing of Bones - Paula Munier
Net Force - Jerome Preister
Lavender and Mistletoe - Donna Kauffman
Bite Club - Laurien Berenson

ETA: I just signed up with Hoopla.....thanks for the heads-up!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Let us know what Elton John's book is like, its been advertised a lot on the television here.
I just finished it. If you're a fan, you'll like it. You'll learn a lot about his childhood, his friendship/partnership with Bernie and a lot about his issues with drugs. It's a good read. Some of the stories he tells are hilarious. Especially the ones involving his good friend Rod Stewart and the pranks they played on each other.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished The First Conspiracy: the Secret Plot to Kill George Washington by Brad Meltzer with Josh Mensch. Meltzer is a fiction writer, but this book is nonfiction. While I found the history fascinating, the writing style was a huge distraction for me. I agree with a reviewer on Goodreads who wrote: “‘Cliffhanger’ sentences and sensationalized ways of phrasing facts that are pretty common knowledge was just absurd.” The book would have benefited from tighter writing, better organization, and fewer attempts at building suspense for something for which we already knew the outcome.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to really enjoy Meltzer's "Decoded" and "Lost History" television shows. I haven't read any of his books yet, but I may have to!

OH! And I finished "The Sinister Pig," and am on to "Skeleton Man." I'll probably finish this series by the end of the weekend. I'm down to the last 5 books. What next? I think I'll rad a few stand-alones, then do the Aunt Dimity books.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
what devices are you borrowing from HOOPLA on?
When you borrow something, you can access it from any device you have, you just have to download it. So I have it on my
tablet and laptop.

Winchester Winchester Glad you were able to get HOOPLA!!

EDIT: I also received this email. KANOPY came up when I was choosing books from HOOPLA. My library does not have it.

Thanks for requesting Kanopy at your library! We’ll let you know if they decide to begin offering it.
You can also help by reaching out directly to your library and letting them know about Kanopy.
Still looking for a way to watch? Check for other libraries in your area: Sign up | Kanopy

(Tip: Share your location if prompted and leave the heavy-lifting to us.)

Thanks,
The Kanopy Team

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you borrow something, you can access it from any device you have, you just have to download it. So I have it on my
tablet and laptop.
Oh, great. By reading about it, it looked like it wouldn't work on a desktop, but if your laptop works, hopefully my desktop will as well. :crossfingers:

HOOPLA still doesn't have one book you're recommended, Mia6 Mia6 - Rebecca by Daphane du Maurier. :sigh:

Status
Not open for further replies.