All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just finished "Murder in G Major" and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it! I loved the characters, the storyline was engaging and the mystery was mysterious right up until the last few pages! I did guess whodunit, but it took most of the book to get there! Now reading #2 in the series, "Death in D Minor."

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a lot of reading this week. I read A Dream within a Dream (Coffey & Hill, #3). It was a great book and the ending was so sad and unexpected. Took a while to recover from it.
The second book I read was The Rattled Bones. The history behind Malaga Island was very interesting and heartbreaking to learn. It makes me sad as a Mainer that we have something like that in our history. Here's the Wikipedia article if anyone's interested. Malaga Island - Wikipedia
I'm now reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. I'm enjoying it so far.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I did a lot of reading this week. I read A Dream within a Dream (Coffey & Hill, #3). It was a great book and the ending was so sad and unexpected. Took a while to recover from it.
The second book I read was The Rattled Bones. The history behind Malaga Island was very interesting and heartbreaking to learn. It makes me sad as a Mainer that we have something like that in our history. Here's the Wikipedia article if anyone's interested. Malaga Island - Wikipedia
I'm now reading Uncle Tom's Cabin. I'm enjoying it so far.
That is so interesting and so very sad. So they smoked tobacco and drank tea, oh my. I didn't read the book
but from what I read in Wiki, I think it was racism that caused it to close.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Only you guys will appreciate this. I'm doing a reread, Come to the edge: a memoir by Christina Haag.
She had a 5 year relationship with John F. Kennedy Jr. Her writing is beautiful. Although Ms. Hagg does
not mention this in her book, Jackie wanted her son to marry.her.This is not one of those gossipy books,
just a book about lost love, and we are given a glimpse into the Kennedy family.

So, I started reading it while on the deck and I could feel something in one of the pages. It was my
bookmark from about 5 years ago!!! I took it as a sign that something good was going to happen and
it did. Nicole (my big sis) is retiring!! I am so happy for her!!! (and me as well, ha!!) Her last day will be
the first of October. We're both excited!

Vivid Years on the Arm of a Kennedy

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just started a freebie, Picture Perfect Murder, by Jenna St. James. The characters seem very familiar, which is odd because the story isn't, and I don't have any other books by that author on my Kindle.
I run into that here and there. I think it's because I read SO much and in so MANY genres that eventually everything comes back around again! I have 942 books on my "read" list at Goodreads, and that's just a fraction of what I've read over the years!

I'm currently reading the newest of the Gethsemane Brown books, "Execution in E." I'm going to miss Gethsemane. Quite a bit. I hope there's another out soon!

HOWEVER...I DID order Jana DeLeon's newest Miss Fortune book, "Gators and Garters," AND the first of her new Marina at Midlife series, "Wrong Side of Forty," which should arrive sometime next week!

Lola3791

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished Uncle Tom's Cabin. It was a great book; surprisingly. I don't like too many classics and I wasn't expecting to fall in love with it as much as I did. It even made me misty eyed a few times. I loved how Harriet Beecher Stowe handled her characters and showed all the different aspects of slavery. Can't wait to read it again!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm rereading the Silent Patient. I'm betting anyone $5.00USD that they won't guess whodunit.
Anyone game?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just finished An American Holocaust by Kelly L. Barger, an account of a disaster I'd never heard of: a gas explosion at a Texas school back in 1937 that took roughly 300 lives, the vast majority of them children. It's the reason why natural gas now smells like rotten eggs.
New London School explosion

The New London School explosion occurred on March 18, 1937, when a natural gas leak caused an explosion, destroying the London School of New London, Texas,[1] a community in Rusk County previously known as "London". The disaster killed more than 295 students and teachers. As of 2017, the event is the third deadliest disaster in the history of Texas, after the 1900 Galveston hurricane and the 1947 Texas City disaster.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished the Gethsemane Brown series (to date), and am reading the third book of the Bad Luck Cat series for the second time, running up to reading the two newest out for the first time! AND my copy of "Gators and Garters" (NEW MISS FORTUNE!!!!) arrived today. "Wrong Side of Forty" should be here tomorrow or Saturday, the new Marina at Midlife series by Jana DeLeon! I so hope it is as funny as the Miss Fortune series!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
how does the book club work ? i dont have any of these books that you all are talking about ??? :dizzycat:
There is a book every month. then we discuss it from the 22nd -the 28th. Go to September's Book of the month.
You can try getting it from your library, buying it, or downloading it for free from Amazon to your tablet.
The book is Arsenic in the Azaleas.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
how does the book club work ? i dont have any of these books that you all are talking about ??? :dizzycat:
As Mia6 Mia6 posted, we read a book each month, then have a week to discuss it. Our September book is currently FREE in e-book version at AMAZON, B&N AND KOBO so if you have an e-reader, or a device that can read Kindle books, maybe download it and read along with us. As always, everyone is welcome. Here's the link to the September thread: September 2020 book of the month club (Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.