All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm still working on the Lovely Lethal Gardens series while awaiting Tuesday's release of Mary Trump's
Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the World's Most Dangerous Man, which I've preordered as an e-book.

The explosive tell-all book by Trump's niece is coming out two weeks earlier than expected

Still gagged: Mary Trump's restraining order extended until one day before tell-all book goes on sale
jcat jcat I'm interested in Mary Trump's book too; from what I've heard it will not be released until after the election. (Nor will copies of Trump's tax returns 🎱 🤥, which I'm sure he is glad of.) Mary Trump's degree is in clinical psychology which makes it ever more interesting. :) 🌺 :silver: 🌹💐

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've begun Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel which is a memoir~history/science. It contains some of his early drawings of the moon, house where he lived from 1631 to 1642, sunspot drawings and pictures of some of his tools ie: Galileo's geometric and military compass.🧭🔭🌃💫🌘
Historical details are woven in with the writings of a warm and loving daughter. "Sobel does for 17th-century technology & religion what she did for the science of navigation in the 1995 bestseller 'Longitude', transforming what could have been a dusty academic subject into a rich, gripping page-turner." This book won the 1999 Los Angeles Times Book Prize. ❤:silver:🌹🌺🌷🌻:lovecat2:📖💥

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
jcat jcat jcat jcat I'm interested in Mary Trump's book too; from what I've heard it will not be released until after the election.
Amazon is still listing the release as 7/14/20, and they're pretty good about updates.

Currently reading :Fortune Hunter," #8 in the Miss Fortune series, and cackling maniacally the entire while!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished David Baldacci’s latest, Walk the Wire, an Amos Decker story, with a surprise thrown in (no spoilers :) ). Complicated story but I like his plots. I also finished one of the latest Clive Cusslers (yes, I know he died) with Robin Burcell, Wrath of Poseidon. It’s a Sam and Remi Fargo and describes how they met and their first adventure.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
jcat jcat I'm interested in Mary Trump's book too; from what I've heard it will not be released until after the election. (Nor will copies of Trump's tax returns 🎱 🤥, which I'm sure he is glad of.) Mary Trump's degree is in clinical psychology which makes it ever more interesting. :) 🌺 :silver: 🌹💐
The e-book was released and downloaded to my Kindle just after midnight CET (6 hours ahead of the US East Coast).

I haven't looked through it yet.

ETA: New York judge rules against Trump family, clears way for publication of Mary Trump's book

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The e-book was released and downloaded to my Kindle just after midnight CET (6 hours ahead of the US East Coast).

I haven't looked through it yet.
Just checked and my library has the ebook now. Not sure if I actually even want to read it, but I did put it on hold. I'm # 103 on 10 copies, with a 21 week wait. So won't have to decide if it's worth my time, for a while.

Finished Guilty as Sin last night. And just downloaded A Nantucket Wedding, our July book club book, so will start it sometime today.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got an email that my hardcopy of Mary Trump's book will be here sooner than expected. Next week.

Currently, I'm reading "Reel of Fortune," #12 in the Miss Fortune series, and will be starting "Cajun Fried Felony" at some point tonight. STILL laughing like a hyena through much of them. The characters are to die for, and the mystery is well done in ALL of the books. I have a lowering suspicion that I'm more like Gertie than I want to admit to!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Not sure if I actually even want to read it, but I did put it on hold.
It's not a "must read" with incredible revelations; most people in the US and world have already surmised that the man is very warped and leading the country along a path of destruction. It's well written, and she has him pegged; the last two chapters of the book convincingly explain his utterly bizarre "handling" of the Covid-19 crisis. Unfortunately, the people who should read it - Delusional Donald's benighted base - won't.

I've returned to the Lovely Lethal Gardens series, since I'm in need of diversion after reading Too Much and Never Enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
jcat jcat & Mia6 Mia6 some of "delusional Donald's benighted base" may end up getting a copy of it in the mail with no return address and from a completely different state, leaving them to wonder just where it came from.:flail::silver:🌺
Would that be you, Janie? ha!!!

"delusional Donald's benighted base" Love, love, love that phrase!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not a "must read" with incredible revelations; most people in the US and world have already surmised that the man is very warped and leading the country along a path of destruction. It's well written, and she has him pegged; the last two chapters of the book convincingly explain his utterly bizarre "handling" of the Covid-19 crisis. Unfortunately, the people who should read it - Delusional Donald's benighted base - won't.
Apparently lots of people in Canada want to read it, as there's now 488 people on hold for the 10 e-books and 240 for the 3 audio books, not to mention the 273 waiting for the 18 hard copy books that are still on order. I'm now 101 in line, with *only* a 21 week wait. The poor person who's # 488 for the e-book, if everyone keeps the book for the full 3 week loan, won't get it for almost 3 years! Think the library is going to have to buy more copies.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have to go back and re-lable the Miss Fortunes from #12-15. I think, however, that I'm back on track...sorta. And still laughing maniacally all the way through. Here's a thought, and not much of a spoiler, I really want an interdimensional portal to open and allow me to go through to watch the Sinful, LA annual Thanksgiving turkey run!

You know, so many really good authors say that the characters write the book themselves...wouldn't it be fun if those characters really did exist in another dimension, and the authors are just channelling them?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finally finished ALL of the Miss Fortune books! "Bullets and Beads" wasn't as outrageously funny as the others, as it was dealing with something VERY serious in Fortune's life, but it certainly had its moments! Ronald and Godzilla, for instance! Fans will know of which I speak.

Now, for a total change of pace, I'm reading "Too Much and Never Enough" by Mary Trump. I had planned on reading the second of the Tami Hoag books next, but I have FIVE friends wanting to borrow the Mary Trump books, and figured I'd better read that first, or get mobbed!

Status
Not open for further replies.