Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know how I LOVE projects, so that sounds purrfect to me. :catman:

I did a similar project years ago, btw, and labelled all my VHS tapes with computer printed Avery labels. The labels were still holding up when I finally threw all the tapes out a few years ago. At least, unlike VHS tapes, your books won't become obsolete.
Come to think of it, if we're ever hit by a really vicious EMP (electromagnetic pulse, knocks out all electronics, most of them permanently), all these books will become really valuable to me! I have enough that I could reread the entire collection (all 900 of them), and it would take me long enough that I wouldn't mind reading the first one again when I got to the end!

I'm also going to order 1000 printable 3x5 cards, in batches of about 300. I make a 3x5 for each author, with a list of his/her books...sometimes more than one card! If there are several series, or enough singles, it can take two or three. Right now, they are hand-written, but it would be so nice to have a computer-printed card. I could hand-print new books, and when there are five or six of them, redo the card. I also have a Word file, with a page for each author. It has a table, with space for name of book (with position number in series where applicable, then spaces to mark whether is it hard back, trade (oversize) paperback, mass market (regular size) paperback or eBook. Obsessive about my books? OH JUST A LITTLE! Are the 3x5 card and the Word doc redundant? Not really. When I start collecting an author (and I tend to get everything available by one author before moving to another), the 3x5 sits on my desk for quick reference, so I don't double order a book. I really should have studied library science. I like doing things like this WAY too much!

As for what I'm reading right now...still working on Braun's series. I'm up to #22, "The Cat Who Robbed a Bank."

I also read an adorable YA book, a mystery, "Jessica Entirely," by Susan Gee. It is inspired by her daughter (Jessica, of course), who illustrated it very charmingly. I'd buy it for any pre-teen girl on my Christmas list in a heartbeat. The "funnest" part is that it is set in New Bern, NC, which is only one town over, and a place I'm very familiar with.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Well that's a shame.. I just feel like something light, but I'm an audio book type and Audible doesn't have it. :(
It was just released, so it'll probably take a little while. The first 3 books in the series are available as audio books, as are her Oxford Tearoom Mysteries, which are enjoyable. There's also a Bewitched by Chocolate series. I read two of the books in it and didn't like them as much.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It was just released, so it'll probably take a little while. The first 3 books in the series are available as audio books, as are her Oxford Tearoom Mysteries, which are enjoyable. There's also a Bewitched by Chocolate series. I read two of the books in it and didn't like them as much.
I've read an Oxford Tearoom Mystery and really enjoyed it! Thanks for the reminder :)

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm 'audiobooking' The Witches of Eileanan by Kate Forsyth
Audible had it on special so I took the chance.. so far, so good. I do like a good fantasy with great women characters rather than all the rippling muscled macho ones. . :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm on to "The Cat Who Robbed a Bank."

I'm getting antsy! With the ENTIRE Miss Fortune series sitting here, I WANT TO READ IT! But I refuse to start them until I finish the The Cat Who, Dixie Hemmingway, and Cat Cafe series.

I got started on my new spine labels last night. I'm taking the easy way out. If I collect more than one series by an author, I abbreviate the name of the series and add the position number. If I only collect one series by an author, I simply put the book numbers...SO...I've done my labels for Miss Fortune and Ghost-in-Law by DeLeon, and done a full page of numerals for 1-10. MOST series are good with 10 books, so a full page of each of those, then I'll do a half-page for 11-30. THEN I have to go through my records for all the multiple-series authors, and start printing out a page of labels for each of them. After I order another thousand labels!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Last House Guest looks like a good book. And it is set in Maine. :think: I might read it.
Because I didn't reread the recap before I started it, and it's an ebook that was on hold at the library a long time, I don't know what to expect, or even what it's about. So far so good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.