Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 Mia6 Mia6 a little bit of "language" does not bother, but sheesh, too much I do not like. (I better try get back to sleep, making errors.)
A lot of Kindle and Amazon books give a warning. I won't read a book if there is torturing in it and there is always a warning.
Too much vulgarity makes me think the author is throwing it in because they;re not clever enough to come up with a suitable
word, hee, hee

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
(Has anybody else noticed much more cursing in books?)
Sometimes, yes. Depends on the author. For the most part, I don't think it's needed. And actually when there's too much, I find I just glaze over it, and it loses it's shock effect. Interestingly, now that I think about it, there's been zero cursing in Pride and Prejudice. ;)

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of Kindle and Amazon books give a warning. I won't read a book if there is torturing in it and there is always a warning.
Too much vulgarity makes me think the author is throwing it in because they;re not clever enough to come up with a suitable
word, hee, hee
Mia6 Mia6 I agree they are not clever enough, or they have gotten overdose of "language" themselves via non-bleeping TV, others using 4 letter words often. (Very rarely did I used to hear it, times have changed. I automatically think it is ruination of my moment and get away from offender.) I never purchase books anymore if they are horror genre. Wish Barnes & Noble would have warning symbol on books that cursing is too much. It is just sometimes so disgusting to me

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I meant to put (.) that last post. I have started Florida by Lauren Groff (National Book Award Finalist). It is such a beautiful dear book already I know I'll never donate it to library or tiny "free book" wooden boxes. 🌺 🌹:silver:⛅🌴

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Y'all, I just read the cutest book! It's actually a book for pre-teens and tweens, and is called "Jessica Entirely." It was written by Susan Gee, who lives in New Bern, NC (just one town over from me), and was illustrated very charmingly by her daughter, Jess Cee, who is the inspiration for the main character. It is a mystery, and one that fans of cozy mysteries will find engaging and amusing (remember...this is a YA book). I read it in one two-hour gulp, and am actually looking forward to the next book! It will be, hopefully, a mystery series for young readers, and a VERY charming one!

Along with that, I'm also reading "The Cat Who Saw Stars," number 21 in the series, so I'm getting there! After that, it is on to Cate Conte's Cat Cafe series. I have the first three, and will order the 4th as soon as my stimulus check comes in. LIkewise (and after Conte), I have all but the very last of Blaize Clement's Dixie Hemmingway (the cat sitter) series. THEN, O JOY O BLISS, I shall dive into the ENTIRE Miss Fortune series, which is sitting on my coffee table as we speak! The newest one came today! I'm actually going to re-read the first six, and hit the whole series in order.

Not to do with books, exactly, but with things to do with books, I finally found a decent source for .5x.75" printable labels! I had seen them on Avery, then couldn't find them, ordered some from another company that promised a free template. Got the lables, and their "free template" downloaded as a blank. AND THERE IS NO WAY TO CONTACT THEM! Lesson learned. You do get what you pay for, and these were cheap. Out of desperation, I went searching for that size label again, and found the AVERY LABELS for sale at Office Max! Got the item number, went BACK to Avery, and ordered them direct. I know for a fact that the Avery templates work very well, indeed! That means that shortly, I shall be making new, printed labels for all of my books that are in various series, instead of the amateurish, messy handwritten ones they have now! I'm excited...but dreading all the time that this will take!

(Has anybody else noticed much more cursing in books?)
Yep. And I deplore it. I can live with an occasional, well-warranted curse word. But I can't stand a conversation when every other word would have made my grandmother swoon. It shows a real lack of imagination. You might have fun with this site:
William Shakespeare Insults Generator Every click brings up a wonderfully vulgarity-free curse. My favorite to date (I'm making a list) is "Thou arrogant knotty-pated wagtail!" My very own favorite four-letter word is "SPIT!" It gets the idea across, and no one blushes!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I had memorized "To His Coy Mistress" since University where I first heard of it by Andrew Marvell (1681). I do not know how to"share" this poem.
It's really enough to just mention the poem, S sweet jane flash . People can google it if they would like to see it. Or you can google it and just copy and paste the link to the website here, which is what I did:

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's really enough to just mention the poem, S sweet jane flash . People can google it if they would like to see it. Or you can google it and just copy and paste the link to the website here, which is what I did:

[/URL]
mani mani I could not find the url. I even queried google how to find the url. Thank you for fixing this for me. Obviously I have much more to learn and am glad I will always have more things to learn until the day no more mortal coil.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Got the item number, went BACK to Avery, and ordered them direct. I know for a fact that the Avery templates work very well, indeed! That means that shortly, I shall be making new, printed labels for all of my books that are in various series, instead of the amateurish, messy handwritten ones they have now! I'm excited...but dreading all the time that this will take!
You know how I LOVE projects, so that sounds purrfect to me. :catman:

I did a similar project years ago, btw, and labelled all my VHS tapes with computer printed Avery labels. The labels were still holding up when I finally threw all the tapes out a few years ago. At least, unlike VHS tapes, your books won't become obsolete.

ou might have fun with this site:
William Shakespeare Insults Generator Every click brings up a wonderfully vulgarity-free curse. My favorite to date (I'm making a list) is "Thou arrogant knotty-pated wagtail!"
Thou beslubbering knotty-pated foul deformity!
Thou arrogant pottle-deep giglet!
Thou mumbling toad-spotted hag-seed!
Thou abominable earth-vexing babbling gossip!

Ok. Gotta stop now. :lol:

Oh, still reading Pride and Prejudice. Less than 100 pages to go, so almost done.

1589715451914.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
mani mani I could not find the url. I even queried google how to find the url. Thank you for fixing this for me. Obviously I have much more to learn and am glad I will always have more things to learn until the day no more mortal coil.
Jane, do a broad search. I found it immediately by keying into Google search: poems by Andrew Marvel

Status
Not open for further replies.