All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
A two parter was on BBC just a week ago, it was so good. I hope the book is as good
I think it will be. Strange how it starts out with Mark Esterbrooke having an espresso at a coffee bar in 1961!!
Calling the pre-hippies, the beat generation, and how dirty all the girls looked, ha!!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And I'm still working on the Aunt Dimity series. It's a bit different, as cozy mysteries go. There are a LOT of mysteries happening, but they aren't all murder mysteries. And they aren't easily solved, either. It makes for a refreshing change. I have to admit, I love cozies set in small towns and villiages, but always kinda laugh at the homicide rates in them! Right now, I'm reading "Aunt Dimity's Christmas, having managed to reverse books 5 & 6. Must remember to relabel them for later on. Ah, well, nothing lost in the translation, except for an old car that was replaced and then magically reappeared...which is how I realized that I had read those two out of order!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished the Jessica Simpson book the other night. Now just trying to decide whether to read our March Book of the Month next, or wait till a little closer to when we'll be discussing it, so it will be more fresh in my mind.

Maybe I should look into reading something "light" like The Fatal Strain (On the Trail of Avian Flu and the Coming Pandemic) by Alan Sipress, or Flu (A Social History of Influenza) by Tom Quinn. :nervous:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "Aunt Dimity's Christmas," and am on to "Aunt Dimity: Detective." This is book #7, and my first actual murder in the series! And even it happened when the main characters were 3,000 miles away!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
if any of you want to have a complete list of web addresses Library Genesis, you may to write in our private messages and we will send it to you :)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I finished the Inn at Holiday Bay series, read a completely forgettable cozy mystery involving parrot smugglers, and am now working on an old true crime book, The Corpse Garden, by Colin Wilson. It's about Gloucester's Fred and Rosemary West, a horrifying case I've read several books on.
Yes, they were evil, a classic example of folie de deux. Like Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I may start The Old Religion by Martyn Waites, one of those creepy books set in Cornwall.
There is a creepy looking mask on the cover, yikes!! Masks have always been scary for me.
to look at. This one is about a cult and other scary stuff.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided against the pandemic books, and started a book that was available from my library wishlist. It's actually a kids book, but I must have seen it recommended somewhere to have put it on my wishlist. It's Double Take by Melody Carlson and about a rich teenaged girl from Manhattan who trades places with a Amish girl from Pennsylvania for a week.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I decided against the pandemic books, and started a book that was available from my library wishlist. It's actually a kids book, but I must have seen it recommended somewhere to have put it on my wishlist. It's Double Take by Melody Carlson and about a rich teenaged girl from Manhattan who trades places with a Amish girl from Pennsylvania for a week.
That sounds good!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Plain Truth by Jodie Picoult is amazing, in fact all her books are.
It has an Amish plot about infanticide
That sounds like a bit of a heavy topic, but maybe all her books are like that, as the only one of hers I've read, "Small Great Things", had racism and white supremacists.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, they were evil, a classic example of folie de deux. Like Karla Homolka and Paul Bernardo.
The author gets into the Bernardo/Homolka, Gerald & Charlene Gallego, and Brady/Hindley relationships, too, and interestingly enough believes Rosemary West was the dominant partner and instigator, not Fred.

I can't say I agree with some of his conclusions, but the book was interesting, if gruesome. I need some light reading material like a cat or dog cozy mystery to follow that.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a bit of a heavy topic, but maybe all her books are like that, as the only one of hers I've read, "Small Great Things", had racism and white supremacists.
Small Great Things is one of my favorite books ever!! Jodi Picoult tells it like it is.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a FYI that some of us are reading "The Housekeeper" by Natalie Barelli as our March Book of the Month. Everyone is welcome to read along with us, as well as join in the discussion. Here's the link to the thread where you'll find more info: March 2020 Book of the Month Club

Small Great Things is one of my favorite books ever!! Jodi Picoult tells it like it is.
I enjoyed it, and will have to read another book by her some day. Just so many books, and only so much time. :lol:

I need some light reading material like a cat or dog cozy mystery to follow that.
Funny you should mention a cat or dog cozy mystery, as we're contemplating picking a cat one for a future book club read. We might need you or Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 to help us pick a good one. :lovecat:

Status
Not open for further replies.