All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I'm going across the pond again to read the third and last of, (I hope the author writes more), The Nathaniel Caslin DI
series of the Dark Yorkshire Mysteries, Dogs in the Street. I'd better get in a supply of beans on toast and bacon rolls with
brown sauce. ;) It's on my Kindle fire.

aliceneko aliceneko How is Don't You Forget About Me?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm...well, I WAS...working on two books at once. The one I'm still reading is "The Summoning", one of Heather Graham's Krew of Hunters series. A bit slow going for me. It's definitely a decent book, but I may be reaching the end of my addiction to this series. I have one more of the newer ones to read, and will decide then.

The OTHER book was "The Fast Diet," by Dr. Michael Mosely and Mimi Spencer. VERY good, very informative, and something I am going to give a try to! This is not so much a diet as an eating pattern. You eat normally five days a week, and semi-fast (1/4 your normal caloric intake) for two (NON-consecutive) days. For faster weight loss, you can do a 4:3 or alternating day pattern. This, I can manage! And the maintenance plan is simply to fast ONE day a week. And, of course, should you go nuts over the holidays, a short stint of 5:2 will take it back off again.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Very cold here..good reading weather. I decided to read one of the Scariest Books You Wish You Haven't Read instead of going across the pond as I don't have a time limit on Nathaniel. Not sure which one. What are you guys reading?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just finished Educated by Tara Westover, a memoir about a woman who grew up in a survivalist family in rural Idaho and never had any formal education till she went to college at 17. The father was likely bi-polar, and took his religious beliefs to extremes, and expected his family to do the same. Not an easy read, but still glad I read it.

Now for a complete chance of pace, I'm going to read A Mrs. Miracle Christmas by Debbie Macomber.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm working my way through Rescued , Stories of Cats through their eyes.
It's not a bad collection of stories, some are written well. It's available as an e-book, as well as a second book with some more rescue stories written from the perspective of the cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm working my way through the (LONG) Leaphorn and Chee series by Tony and Anne Hillerman. I'm now on book #3, "People of Darkness." Overall, I'm really loving this series. Hillerman had a deep understanding of Navajo culture, and was educated at a boarding school for Navajo girls. He was one of a handful of boys at the school. This is an excerpt from his bio at "The Hillerman Portal":

" Hillerman wrote through the eyes, ears, and understandings of partially assimilated Navajo Tribal Policemen, revealing what have often been considered guarded, intimate details of the Navajo belief system. Yet, these portrayals have also been appreciated as objective, respectful, and accurate portrayals of the grounded, profoundly aware, and drily, wryly humorous denizens of Navajo country. This outsider/insider perspective provides a mirror in which Native and non-Native readers alike recognize some of the least attractive elements of a humanity that is no longer in balance, portrayals of the human condition that are neither overdone nor completely damning but always provocative. Who is not fascinated by the idea of a sickness, derived from moral, social, or cultural imbalance, that presents itself as a Skinwalker or Navajo wolfman? Ultimately, it is the human condition and its range of expressions that finds its way into the pages of Hillerman’s Navajo Detective Novels, novels whose ethnographic insights are acutely perceptive and revelatory regardless of whether the subject under observation is Navajo, Zuni, Hopi, or white. "

If you have an interest in Native American cultures, or mysteries for that matter, this is a series that will draw you in and keep you turning the pages!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished listened to the book Recursion by Blake Crouch and I quite enjoyed it. It's kind of in the sci-fi genre, but it's the type of sci-fi that I actually enjoy (where it takes place in modern times and not some super distant future).

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I just finished "Dr. Sleep," the sequel the "The Shining" by Stephen King. Not as good as "The Shining." But decent. I haven't read that much by him but "The Shining" is one of my favorite books.
The Shining is one of my fave books ever. I also love The Stand

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
The Shining is one of my fave books ever. I also love The Stand
The Stand is in my top books too! Along with Jane Eyre and A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.
I enjoyed the Mr. Mercedes trilogy by Stephen King too.

Status
Not open for further replies.