All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm finishing up the last book in the Chintz 'n' China series by Yasmine Galenorn, "One Hex of a Wedding." Yet another series ending with our plucky heroine married, and everyone happy, it would seem, thus far. I'll miss this series. It was only five books long, but quite amusing. LOL, and there's a magical charm at the back of each book! Right up my alley. Will they work? Oh, yeah, they can, but 90% of all charms is in the focus and intent of the person working it. You can't just stir stuff together, read a few words, and expect results. Does not work that way.

What shall I read next? Probably Dan Brown's "Origins," which has been on my To Read Desk for quite some time now. I'll read a few stand-alones and the new releases of a couple of my series, then plunge back into a MAJOR binge-session. I'm still deciding which big series to do next...It's a toss-up. Either the Leaphorn and Chee series, the Aunt Dimity series, OR the The Cat Who series...and each of those is almost 30 books long!

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Hundred Secret Senses(Amy Tan), Lila(Marilynne Robinson), Florida(Lauren Groff), One Hundred Years of Solitude(Gabriel Garcia Marquez), Commonwealth(Ann Patchett), Behold the Dreamers(Imbolo Mbue), Henry and Cato(Iris Murdoch), and The Miniaturist (Jessie Burton). All great reads.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I finished the second bundle (books 7-13) of the Kiki Lowenstein series, but didn't enjoy it nearly as much as the first, because the books were just too far-fetched.

Right now I'm back to true crime - currently Handsome Brute: The Story of a Ladykiller by Sean O'Connor, which is a very interesting depiction of life in Britain during and immediately following WWII and of an infamous murderer at that time, Neville Heath.
Handsome Brute sounds really good!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm now reading Don't You Forget About Me by Alexandra Potter.

Thank you for posting this. I've wanted to read it for awhile now. :)
My mother read it and said it was good. There was a BBC adaption of the book here in England a couple of years ago, too, if anyone is interested (not sure if it's available elsewhere in the world, though):
BBC One - The Miniaturist

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last night, I finished "One Hex of a Wedding," the fifth book in the Chintz 'n' China series. There's one more, but I don' t have it...yet. It was one of those series that had a long hiatus, then came back with another book, so...I missed one. Later for you!

Once I'm finished up on here, I'll start Lynsay Sand's next-to-newest Argeneau Vampires series, "The Trouble with Vampire." Yes, another silly vampire romance, but a bit of a twist...no soulless creatures of the dark, or aliens, just...humans, but with an odd background. They're light, they're fun. They amuse me. I've actually owned this book for a few months, but had so many serieseseseseseessesese ~slaps fingers~ waiting, that I kept pushing it back. And I still have the three long series that I mentioned earlier to get to. Just taking a brief break from the binging!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My mother read it and said it was good. There was a BBC adaption of the book here in England a couple of years ago, too, if anyone is interested (not sure if it's available elsewhere in the world, though):
BBC One - The Miniaturist
It is either on here or been on but I missed

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got started on "The Trouble With Vampires" last night, and should finish it tonight. Sands is a quick read for me. Not sure what I'll read next. I may read the Dan Brown before moving on to one of the long series.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Hundred Secret Senses(Amy Tan), Lila(Marilynne Robinson), Florida(Lauren Groff), One Hundred Years of Solitude(Gabriel Garcia Marquez), Commonwealth(Ann Patchett), Behold the Dreamers(Imbolo Mbue), Henry and Cato(Iris Murdoch), and The Miniaturist (Jessie Burton). All great reads.
I like Amy Tan. I used to watch "Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat" on PBS Kids.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading "The Fast Diet." It showed up at my house, totally unexpectedly, although I suspect a friend in England sent it to me, since we were discussing it the other day. This is doable for me. You eat normally five days a week, and cut your caloric intake to 1/4 for two non-consecutive days. Those who are really desperate can safely do a 4:3 pattern instead of the 5:2, or even alternating days. I'm seriously thinking of giving this a try. I'm no stranger to fasts, but this is such a reasonable, rational approach that one could do it for the rest of one's life. Now, after you reach your goal weight, you move to a 6:1 pattern to maintain.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've finished A Warning by Anonymous. It's well written, obviously by a WH insider who's a dyed-in-the-wool Republican very disillusioned with the current administration. I found it a bit bleak.
Does this person work for the trump admin?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, I must read sometime. Wouldn't it be awesome if it was written by one of Javankas?:yess:
My guess would be the State Department or National Security Council, but somebody else said perhaps a speechwriter. :dunno: The portrayal of Trumpelstiltskin is way too harsh for it to be a family member.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've just finished The Almost Exmoor by R.S.Turner, and very much enjoyed it. It's children's fiction, but the story is based on our TCS member Columbine's Exmoor pony Collie. It was very informative about Exmoors and educational - perfect as a Christmas gift for a child dreaming of a pony, but not aware of the hard work, patience, expense, and potential pitfalls involved.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I've just finished The Almost Exmoor by R.S.Turner, and very much enjoyed it. It's children's fiction, but the story is based on our TCS member Columbine's Exmoor pony Collie. It was very informative about Exmoors and educational - perfect as a Christmas gift for a child dreaming of a pony, but not aware of the hard work, patience, expense, and potential pitfalls involved.
Wowza, a book about Columbine's pony!! May have to get that for Grayson for a pressie!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's also available through Amazon US. Paperback and Kindle versions in case anyone is interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.