All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am currently listening to “The Girl on the Train” and loving it.
I read that a year or so ago. I enjoyed it.

I've been listening to CatOut Of Hell by Lynne Truss, but I'm not sure that I like it.....
So are you the type to suffer through a book you don't like till the end? Or will you give up, if it doesn't get better?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm still reading "Sunshine Beach". Wish I could read as fast as some of you do.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
So are you the type to suffer through a book you don't like till the end? Or will you give up, if it doesn't get better?
If I'm reading, I have a 30 to 60 page thing, depending on the size of the book.
If it's an audiobook it probably works out the same.

But with this, I just wasn't sure. I finished it today and actually really enjoyed it. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, I finished "Plantation" by Dorothea Benton Frank, read "Sprig Muslin" by Georgette Heyer for my Goodreads Georgette Heyer Reading group, gulped down "On the Chopping Block" by Jenny Cates (has easy Greek-inspired recipes in the back), and am now starting on "Isle of Palms," another Frank book.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The Silent Patient finally came in to the library. It's a new book and the first book by the author, Alex Michaelides. It will take me awhile to read as it's a hardback and I have to put a pillow on my lap to hold it but I'm looking forward to it.

Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Wowza, you are a speed reader!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 Wowza, you are a speed reader!!
Not really, but I am a fast reader, and retired with no family nearby except for Hekitty. Cleaning my apartment takes only minutes a day (I have help for the floors, and I pick up as I go), so...other than being here, I'm almost always somewhere with a book in my hands!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
About halfway through Fever Dream (Pendergast), took a bit of a break.

From the library on my iPad:
Dead in the Water - Annelise Ryan
Corned Beef and Casualties - Lynn Cahoon (Dumb, Dumb, Stupid!)
Brotherhood in Death - J.D. Robb
Treachery in Death - J.D. Robb

I do like this series by J.D. Robb, but have only been able to read the books as I can find them. One of these days, I'd like to reread them, in order, from the very beginning.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "Isle of Palms," and will be starting on "Shem's Creek" next. It's a re-read, but I'm trying to do the Frank books in order.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama Yes, Nora Roberts also writes as J.D. Robb for the Death series of books (this is an off-shoot from the What's for Dinner thread when I brought up spaghetti and meatballs as an idea for dinner tonight; Eve was going to make spaghetti and meatballs for Roarke in the book and it made me hungry for spaghetti and meatballs; that's how my mind works sometimes).

Anyway, in addition to J.D. Robb, Nora Roberts also writes as Jill Marsh and I've read some of those books, too. Ironically, I am not a particularly big Nora Roberts fan at all, but I do like the J.D. Robb Death series. Go figure.

BTW, has anybody ever read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton? Blake is a vampire executioner. The books are exceedingly graphic and exceedingly erotic, downright sexual. They might turn some people off. I like them.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
And while I'm here, I usually try to bring up this link at the beginning of every year because of newer members, who may not know about it. I don't think I did it this year, so here you go.

Literature Map - The Tourist Map of Literature

You go to the site, enter the name of an author and the map will give you the names of authors who write similarly to the author you posted. If you like a certain author and might be looking for people who write the same way, this is a great way to find out other authors.

Check it out. You won't be sorry.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
BTW, has anybody ever read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton? Blake is a vampire executioner. The books are exceedingly graphic and exceedingly erotic, downright sexual. They might turn some people off. I like them.
I have, indeed. My collection got wiped out in a house fire awhile back, but the series is on my "replace this" list, as well as her Meredith Gentry series. Meredith is a faerie princess who works as a private investigator. Still graphic, still erotic, but Meredith utterly accepts her sexuality, so you don't have to deal with all the nail-gnawing and angst that Anita wallows in.

Check it out. You won't be sorry.
Went there, typed in a couple of names, and WOW! I have it bookmarked now.

I'm currently back on my Dorothea Benton Frank marathon. I'm up to, and currently reading (I'm doing these in order) "Bulls Island." Again, we have a good old Geechee girls who has run away to the Big Apple, and has to go back home for (insert 2-3 reasons now). It's getting to be a pattern. However, the actual characters and the plot lines are different enough that it doesn't bother me in the least.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I have, indeed. My collection got wiped out in a house fire awhile back, but the series is on my "replace this" list, as well as her Meredith Gentry series. Meredith is a faerie princess who works as a private investigator. Still graphic, still erotic, but Meredith utterly accepts her sexuality, so you don't have to deal with all the nail-gnawing and angst that Anita wallows in.

Went there, typed in a couple of names, and WOW! I have it bookmarked now.

I'm currently back on my Dorothea Benton Frank marathon. I'm up to, and currently reading (I'm doing these in order) "Bulls Island." Again, we have a good old Geechee girls who has run away to the Big Apple, and has to go back home for (insert 2-3 reasons now). It's getting to be a pattern. However, the actual characters and the plot lines are different enough that it doesn't bother me in the least.
Yes Bulls Island is really good. Did you read the Grace one yet? That was really powerful. I am bought 2 of the recent books of hers- porch lights and some beachy title..can't remember.

I am on book 5 of that helen Carey WW2 series. I have been working alot and haven't had a chance to do much reading plus the past 3 days I have been in bed right about now. I hate the time change..it takes me quite some time to adjust...I plan on reading tonight.

I haven't read Anita blake but her's sell pretty fast in the shop same as those other vampire ones mentioned. It's been years since I read vamp romance. My fav of those are Linda Lael Miler- there's 4 books that go together-every now and then I see them at yard sales and buy them-these are classic paranorm romance before it became the rage.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes Bulls Island is really good. Did you read the Grace one yet? That was really powerful. I am bought 2 of the recent books of hers- porch lights and some beachy title..can't remember.
I have. It was remarkable. Not quite like her others, but OH, I hated finishing it! LOL, I do have to try a couple of those Low Country recipes! I have all of her books now, except for Queen Bee. I'll have to wait until it comes out in paperback.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ironically, I am not a particularly big Nora Roberts fan at all, but I do like the J.D. Robb Death series. Go figure.
I'm not a big Nora Roberts fan either, but have read a couple of her books. Still finding it funny that a romance writer also writes a Death series.

BTW, has anybody ever read the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton?
No, but I think I've heard of them before. Is that the series that the earlier books are better than the later ones? Course that could pretty much apply to many different series.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a big Nora Roberts fan either, but have read a couple of her books. Still finding it funny that a romance writer also writes a Death series.

No, but I think I've heard of them before. Is that the series that the earlier books are better than the later ones? Course that could pretty much apply to many different series.
I have read some of Nora's older books and newer ones.

Angel's Falls was fabulous
Her macGregory novels were fabulous..
Those time travel 4 books were fab-these were originally silhouette intimate moments-The Caloways I think=they were well written for silhouettes-I kept a few of her original older 1980s silhouettes.

The Search was really good too. I haven't read anything newer than that.

those 3 books the irish ones there- face the fire one with the 2 other titles=thought those were really good...I tend to stick to stand alone novels only because it's hard to find each book of her trilogies she puts out. I havent read any JD Robb ones-those don't sell as fast as her regular books-She's real easy reading but I prefer Dan Steele for those kinds of books.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Still graphic, still erotic, but Meredith utterly accepts her sexuality
foxxycat foxxycat sent me some really racy romance books. :eek2: But I prefer the Christian Romance books that she sent me, I'm kind of a goody-goody like that. :D

She's real easy reading but I prefer Dan Steele for those kinds of books.
Is that Danielle Steel? I used to read her books all the time. I haven't read any in a few years though.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
foxxycat foxxycat sent me some really racy romance books. :eek2: But I prefer the Christian Romance books that she sent me, I'm kind of a goody-goody like that. :D

Is that Danielle Steel? I used to read her books all the time. I haven't read any in a few years though.
yes danielle steel. since the tragic death of her son in the 90s/2ooos she has brought a powerful soulfulness to her writing that was absent in her prior works.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
yes danielle steel. since the tragic death of her son in the 90s/2ooos she has brought a powerful soulfulness to her writing that was absent in her prior works.
I used to read Danielle Steele all the time years ago. But haven't read any recently. Of her newer ones, which would you recommend?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to read Danielle Steele all the time years ago. But haven't read any recently. Of her newer ones, which would you recommend?
The Winner is a good one. About an olympic skier who sadly has an accident but they manage to find joy even though things have changed.

44 Charles street its called. I think is the title=it's about 3 or 4 people who live as roommates in this old victorian home-really good.

There's one that's a corporate twist-can't remember cover..runs off to look up titles. Power Play. Very good.

Big Girl-that's a good one.

Mothers Sins I think this one is called.

Betrayal. awesome. Read it in 1 day.

Family Ties=nice twisty family novel

Prodigal Son=good!

Undercover-very good plot-undercover agent has to save her after being kidnapped...very unique plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.