All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am now reading Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. I've been meaning to watch the film though am reading the book first as I always like to read before I watch (normally films miss a lot of content of books out so it's nice to read them beforehand).

I loved that. There are several more in that vein, as well. I have a list if you want it.
I've taken a look at them though thank you for the recommendation! I'm going to have to watch the movie soon too. It's a wonderful story and the author is using his earnings from the book to help local homeless charities here in London and across the UK, which is even better and makes it even more worthwhile to read! :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm reading Sapiens: A brief history of humankind by Yuval Noah Harari - absolutely love it, it its the most interesting read, and would recommend it to absolutely everyone! I was worried it might be too heavy but the authors style of writing prevents this.
That sounds really interesting. And my library has the e-book version, so I put it on hold. Unfortunately a lot of other people seem to think it sounds interesting, as I'm # 88 on 8 copies. So will be a while...

Am now reading Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. I've been meaning to watch the film though am reading the book first as I always like to read before I watch (normally films miss a lot of content of books out so it's nice to read them beforehand).
I read that a year or so ago. Didn't realize there was a movie, and shortly after I came across it on TV. So got to both read the book, and watch the movie. I also prefer to read the book first, so it totally worked out in the right order for me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Still reading "Of Books and Bagpipes"...but....I have a confused. A friend just sent me a copy of Michelle Obama's "Becoming." Do I read that next, or do I read #3, "Lost Books and Old Bones?" And did I manage to blend the names of #s 2 & 3 earlier? I do know that after I read BOTH of the aforementioned books, I will be reading "Witchiest Circus on Earth," book #1 of the Magical Carnival series.
I've just finished the two "The Inn at Holiday Bay" books by Kathi Daley. And yes, there's a cat - a red tabby named Rufus. Plus a Newfoundland.
Oh good. The presence of a cat can only make the book better!

dalpaengi

A cat snail enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama I had to drop The Bees by Laline Paull. You had asked ages ago but yes it was about the hierarchy and social system of bees. Imagine the political tension of the Tudor court but with bees. The main problem I had while reading was that the main character had what I felt was an easy time climbing up the ranks. Also dropped Circe but will pick it up another time.

As of now, I'm reading Acid King by Jessie Pollack, Becoming by Michelle Obama, How to be Alone: If You Want to and Even if you don't by Lane Moore, and Sugar Run by Mesha Maren.

2 of those books are audiobooks. The other 2 are ebook format. I figure it shouldn't take me much longer to finish them really.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A friend just sent me a copy of Michelle Obama's "Becoming." Do I read that next, or do I read #3, "Lost Books and Old Bones?"
You read so quickly, it probably doesn't really matter which you read first. I really enjoyed "Becoming", particularly the beginning when she was young and in school, plus when she first met Barrack.

rubysmama rubysmama I had to drop The Bees by Laline Paull. You had asked ages ago but yes it was about the hierarchy and social system of bees. Imagine the political tension of the Tudor court but with bees. The main problem I had while reading was that the main character had what I felt was an easy time climbing up the ranks.
Sorry you didn't like it. I just looked at the description again, and it still sounds interesting. I put it on my wishlist, so I might read it one of these years.

As of now, I'm reading Acid King by Jessie Pollack, Becoming by Michelle Obama, How to be Alone: If You Want to and Even if you don't by Lane Moore, and Sugar Run by Mesha Maren.
That's a lot of books to keep straight in your head at the same time.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally finished Spare Room..one of the best psychological thrillers I've read in a while. Started Hunt by Darcy Coates. About a young woman who went for a short hike in a deep forst on her last day of vacation and goes missing. We the reader first come upon her running from something in the forest at night and she's able to snap pics of whatever or whoever she thinks may be following her, then she screams, and we're on to the 2nd chapter where friends and family members decide she is missing. It's going to be a good one.:yess:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I decided to read "Lost Books and Old Bones" first, just so I wouldn't be wondering what was coming next. I'll finish it sometime this evening, and start on "Becoming." I already have neighbors lining up to borrow it! Word spreads fast around here!

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
My nephew and his wife have a cool little thing going on where they live. On every street are shelves put there by the city and they are safe from rain and snow. Residents can take and leave books there. Nice idea especially if you can't get out or are looking for something to read and have nothing.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working on "Becoming." It's a slow read for me, but not because it is tedious, or uninteresting, but because I realized two pages in that this was a book I really wanted to SINK INTO! And by page 5, I realized that I would have to re-read it, with my post it pointer tabs in hand, to mark special passeges, and then transcribe them into my "Wisdom" One Note notebook.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm still working on "Becoming." It's a slow read for me, but not because it is tedious, or uninteresting, but because I realized two pages in that this was a book I really wanted to SINK INTO!
I read it slowly too. And I'm a slow reader to begin with! But I wanted to keep all her family members and friends straight in my head.

I'm still reading "The House on Mermaid Point". And I'd better hustle, as it expires in 2 days.
Yes, I'm quoting myself, LOL. But I decided I'd better spend some time reading before the book expired, and I finished sooner than I expected, as the last part of the book included questions for book club readers, and an excerpt from another book.

So I'm ready for the next one in the series, which luckily for me, is available from the library. So already downloaded and ready to start.
Sunshine Beach (Ten Beach Road, #4) by Wendy Wax

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Finished Dance of Death and started The Book of the Dead.

(I bought Lethal Velocity -- previously titled Utopia -- by Lincoln Child for $1.99 as an ebook. It was only on sale Wednesday for one day. I really enjoyed this book when I read it before. It was excellent.)

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
The Haunted by Michaelbrent Collings is haunting me!! It's been awhile since I've read a supernatural horror novel and this one is creeping me out but in a good way.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I finished "Becoming," then gulped down "The Witchiest Show on Earth" (paranormal cozy) in one swallow, re-read "Here on Earth" by Alice Hoffman (a longtime favorite), and am now reading "Sullivan's Island" by Dorothea Benton Frank. She's another favorite, although I'd only read a few of her books. I have all of them now, and will be reading the entire Low Country series in order over the next several days.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I had to stop reading The Haunted,,just wasn't doing it for me. I'm now re-reading Transmission by Ambrose Ibsen on my tablet. I was really good and very scary.

Status
Not open for further replies.