All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 I never knew Elton John had addictions probs. Have you read the Demi Moore book? I had it
but only read the first chapter.I was enjoying it but also reading other things at the same time and in no time
the 2 weeks was up and since there was a a hold on it I had to return it.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Kat0121 Kat0121 I never knew Elton John had addictions probs. Have you read the Demi Moore book? I had it
but only read the first chapter.I was enjoying it but also reading other things at the same time and in no time
the 2 weeks was up and since there was a a hold on it I had to return it.
He was addicted to both cocaine and alcohol. He goes into a lot of detail about it. No. Not yet. I want to finish Elton's first but she's up next.

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I haven't read through the whole thread or I'd still be going come Xmas lol.

I'm definitely in the book hoarder club :) I don't keep track of how many I read a year but it's a lot... I do also have a lot of ebooks though.

Looking forward to Xmas as I know my sister has got me the last book in the October Daye series by Seanan Mcguire and the second in the Incryptid series (same author) which I was missing (I have just bought the others in the series).

Currently reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley and book before that was Twilight Eyes by Dean Koontz.

Particular favourites are the Wheel of Time series; anything by Seanan Mcguire or her alternate name Mira Grant; all of Anne McCaffrey's work (NOT the stuff her son writes now); most of Stephen King's work. Tanith Lee is also a favourite,oh and I've liked the majority of Charlaine Harris.

:)

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:yeah: I haven’t read anything by her for years, but I’m pretty sure I read all of them. I agree about her son’s writings.
I bought one by mistake and it was, IMO, absolutely dire. Basically a rip off of Moreta.... Wouldn't buy any more.

I have read some fanfiction which is incredible and far surpasses what is being published for Pern now.

Has anyone read the new Stephen King book The Institute? Wondered if it was any good. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading "Talking God" in the Leaphorn and Chee series, so I'm coming right along!

AND I just got another book from a friend (this one in the USA) that I'm really looking forward to reading. It is "Educated: A Memoir" by Tara Westover, the story of growing up in a survivalist family compound, homeschooled (kinda), and breaking free to eventually complete her undergrad studies and go on to Harvard and Cambridge.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, can't insert quotes in an edit, so "double dipping" here!

Ok, thank you!!
There is also a "companion" series to "The Cat in the Stacks," the "Southern Ladies" series. They are elderly friends of Diesel's human, and actually get their very first pets while babysitting Diesel! The sisters are in their 80's, and I hope I am JUST LIKE THEM when the time comes!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just finished Stephen Kings’s new novel, The Institute. I have loved most of his novels but didn’t like this one at all. Very wordy, much much longer than it needed to be and very limited plot.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is "Educated: A Memoir" by Tara Westover, the story of growing up in a survivalist family compound, homeschooled (kinda), and breaking free to eventually complete her undergrad studies and go on to Harvard and Cambridge.
I recently read that one. (think I posted about it) It's interesting, but some of the family stuff is difficult to read at times.

Just finished Stephen Kings’s new novel, The Institute. I have loved most of his novels but didn’t like this one at all. Very wordy, much much longer than it needed to be and very limited plot.
glittercat glittercat : This is the book you were wondering if anyone had read, right.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
I'm finally reading "On The Beach" unless it's been so many years that I don't even remember reading it any more. The characters seem very flat to me so I must have had a better imagination when I was reading a lot of '60s-'70s post-apocalyptic science fiction, but other than that I'm finding it a much more enjoyable read than I expected with unintended (by the author) perspectives on how to cope with today's current events.

I'm up to chapter 4 and I think I'm going to find myself saying, "Well, where would you rather be than where you are?" and "What would you rather be doing than what you are doing?" instead of feeling sorry for myself when I bump up against my own mortality and other things which I have no power whatsoever to change.

We Cold War babies used to say "if I grow up" instead of "when I grow up" and we did. We're turning into quite a decent generation of elders now, if anyone wants my opinion which nobody ever said they did. ;)

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm finally reading "On The Beach" unless it's been so many years that I don't even remember reading it any more. The characters seem very flat to me so I must have had a better imagination when I was reading a lot of '60s-'70s post-apocalyptic science fiction, but other than that I'm finding it a much more enjoyable read than I expected with unintended (by the author) perspectives on how to cope with today's current events.

I'm up to chapter 4 and I think I'm going to find myself saying, "Well, where would you rather be than where you are?" and "What would you rather be doing than what you are doing?" instead of feeling sorry for myself when I bump up against my own mortality and other things which I have no power whatsoever to change.

We Cold War babies used to say "if I grow up" instead of "when I grow up" and we did. We're turning into quite a decent generation of elders now, if anyone wants my opinion which nobody ever said they did. ;)
I re-read about a quarter of it over the summer and enjoyed what I read but was not a good time for me so I decided
to wait and try again. I loved how brave the main characters were. Mary was a star.
The end was chilling when Mary put the med in Jennifer's
bottle and they got into bed, God so and sad.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Omg. I read On The Beach. High school

It was not a required book for my English class, only the “honors” tier. I heard so many comments about it, that I felt as if I needed to read it.

It still stands out in my mind as a very profound book.

There was a movie made of it— chilling.

Status
Not open for further replies.