All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Librarians are awesome. I went into the library trying to find a book that I remembered only vaguely, that I'd checked out of the library decades ago. I knew it was a kid's book, and that it was about a boy who's addicted to superhero comics, and that his favorite superhero is, in her everyday life, a housewife and mother. Her superhero "costume" is a paper grocery bag with a couple of holes punched into it so that she can see when she wears it over her head. And I thought the title of the book was The Tuatara, or something like that (that being the superhero's name). I'd already done a Google search and been unable to find it that way, but the librarian I talked to managed to track it down in about five minutes. Turns out it's named Harry Newberry and the Raiders of the Red Drink, and it's by Mel Gilden. The library no longer had a copy, but suggested that I try ABE Books or Thrift Books. I did, and got a copy in good condition at an excellent price.

Incidentally, this may officially be a kid's book, but it's absolutely hilarious. I highly recommend it.

Margret
I agree; librarians are awesome and the book sounds cute.:thumbsup:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like to read books by Karen Kingsbury. I picked up some at the thrift store. I read the first one and realized it was part of a series. So I checked the others and most of them were. I just purchased nine books online to make up the sets so I will be doing a lot of reading now.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is the Zimmerman Restoration Trilogy.
My library doesn't have them in e-book format. Probably just as well, as I have more than enough books on my "to read" list.

I have several ladies who are always looking for Amish Fiction.
I've got the Kelly Irvin ones on my "to read" someday list.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have finished "A Gala Event," and am on to "Seeds of Deception. Just one more in the series to go...or, at least, one that I actually HAVE. I've ordered the one after that, but the newest will have to wait a bit.

"Meg's wedding to Seth looms closer and closer, and her plans are not yet complete! She has the venue, and the officiant, but EVERYTHING else is up in the air. Thank goodness, the harvest is in, and she'll have time to deal with this, right? RIGHT? Um...not really, only kinda...Once again, Meg is embroiled in a murder, but this one took place 25 years ago. When the convicted murderer shows up in a most unexpected way, not remembering a thing that happened on that fateful and fatal night, and asking for help, Meg can't say "no." He is sincere, and lost, and willing to accept ANY answer if it is the real one. And in the middle of this, along with planning for the wedding, Seth decides that her wedding present will be a new master bathroom and a powder room and a remodel of the existing bathroom before the wedding and with Meg's help! Will Meg be able to pull this off? Will the new neighbors' alpacas ever learn to stay home? Will she EVER actually get married?

LOL, having lived through a wedding, I know what she was going through withOUT all the other stuff! Me? I'd have eloped and been done with it."

I also ordered a copy of "Locust Hill," by Mary Wallace Kirk, simply because Mary Wallace Kirk is a cousin of some degree or another, Locust Hill was their family's plantation, and she talks about visiting my branch's plantation, Boxwood. It will go in with my books and papers on genealogy. My elder son is very interested in family history, so I thought he would like having it when I'm gone.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
She's pretty popular in my book booth. I have several ladies who are always looking for Amish Fiction. I finally finished those series from Helen Carey, now rereading Sherryl Woods books..can't remember the title..then read some american harlequin romances..I jump around with reading...
Her Baxter Family series is being made into a tv program.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
JUST finished "Seeds of Deception"

"In true "Meg" fashion, Meg and Seth plan an impromptu honeymoon. Rather than heading for exotic locations, they decide to meander down the highway to Monticello...Meg for the orchards, and Seth for the architecture. Following this, they'll head back north without much of a plan, just seeing the sights as things appeal to them, and making a brief stop to visit Meg's parents (NOT my idea of a honeymoon, but to each his own). However, just after leaving Monticello, the phone call comes...A body has been found in the backyard of Meg's parents house, and our young couple head straight there. Soon after, Arthur, Meg's father's partner, is attacked in their office. Meg's instincts lead her to join some very unlikely dots, and the game's afoot!

One jarring note in this book...Briona, Meg's orchard manager, finds another job and leaves. It kinda threw me, along with all of the "but where is Bree going to live?" discussions. In the previous book, Bree had expressed a real interest in turning the chicken coop into a tiny house, and Seth seemed very interested in the project. I would have loved to have seen something come of that, but once it was said, it was seemingly just...forgotten. Other than this smallish kerfluffle, another FUN book!"

I'm on "A Late Frost" now. There's only one more book in the series to go, and I don't have it...yet. Next, I think I'll read my Georgette Heyer for this month's discussion in my Goodreads group, then a few Mary Stewarts, THEN the new Joe Grey (he's dessert), THEN on to the next Cozy series, The Tea Shop Myster series by Laura Childs. She wrote The Cackleberry Club series, which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Still reading the Widow Next Door and it is wonderful! The widow has a cat named Amos. Don't know where this book is going but I am hooked.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness...how did I not get here for a WEEK???

SO...finished "A Late Frost."

"It's winter again, and Meg is both enjoying the down-time from her orchard and itching for something to do...which reminds us to beware of what we ask for! There's a new family in town, an older couple, and while Monica, the wife, is seemingly everywhere at once, her husband is a real homebody. Monica, almost single-handedly, organizes a "Winterfare" festival, to celebrate winter foods and to bring the community out for a bit of fun in the dark months. It is a rousing success until Monica falls ill and dies. Food poisoning is suspected, but no...it's just plain old poisoning, as in murder! And of course Meg is in the investigation up to her eyebrows...especially after the poison is found to be one commonly used to increase the yeilds in apple orchards! AND it is one that her new orchard manager is familiar with. COULD he? Meg doesn't think so, and sets out to proove it, going down every possible path until they at last lead her to a most unexpected killer."

AND I read "Cat Chase the Moon." There was some trepidation there, with the discussions about Murphy losing the thread here and there, and I did spot that, however...the characters remain unchanged, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd like to see her do one or two more books with assistance from a good ghost-writer, perhaps, wrapping up Courtney's adventures, letting us know Stryker's "special purpose" that was hinted at, and leaving all of the inhabitants of Molena Point in a good place...And I REALLY want Max to find out about the cats!

"Joe Gray is back! He and Dulcie are on a quest to keep their remarkable calico kitten, Courtney, safe from those who would use her for nefarious purposes...but Courtney, now a teen cat, has her own ideas! And in the middle of that, there's real crime spree going on in the village, and people are being hurt, badly! Can the remarkable talking cats of Molena Point manage to simultaneously keep Courtney safe, and rid their village of a most dangerous group of villains?"

I'm currently re-reading an old Mary Stewart favorite, "The Ivy Tree." I'm trying to decide on a genre for Stewart's books (aside from the Arthurian Cycle). They are kinda romances, but kinda thrillers...I think I'll call them Cozy Thrillers.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm still reading the Widow Next Door but started a book entitled Heat by Stuart Woods. I was giving Vincie girl some time on her Ottoman before I brought her in for the night so I picked it up. I had got it from the library recommended by Kindle but I didn't want to buy it. It was written in 1994 and reprinted in 2011.
A former DEA agent is doing time but he has a chance to have his sentence vacated if he infiltrates a weird cult. They have been stockpiling weapons etc.
I only read about 3 chapters but it sounds really good.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles. It was a quite long book, but kept my interest to the end.

Though, the end left me thankful for the internet, as I had to Google to see what others were saying about it. And once I read other comments, I realized if I'd been paying better attention, all would have been clear.

Currently reading Unfinished Business by Nora Roberts, which appears to be a typical romance.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cause you're reading and eating hot dogs! :flail::D
Well...there's that. In fact, there's always that. You people know me too well!

Currently reading Unfinished Business by Nora Roberts, which appears to be a typical romance.
Yeah, Miss Nora tends towards typical romances. I prefer her paranormal books, which have a good bit of typical romance in them, but with a twist. The Three Sisters Island books are excellent, if you haven't read them yet.

Still reading "The Ivy Tree" by Mary Stewart.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah, Miss Nora tends towards typical romances. I prefer her paranormal books, which have a good bit of typical romance in them, but with a twist. The Three Sisters Island books are excellent, if you haven't read them yet.
I'm not a big fan of the typical romance format, so after this one, I'll be onto something different.

Is this her Three Sisters Island books: Concannon Sisters Trilogy?

Status
Not open for further replies.