All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just finished going to the dogs with David Rosenfelt’s “Rescued” and am going to let the cat out of the bag with Sofie Kelly’s “Final Catcall.” :) I really enjoy Rosenfelt’s cheeky dog-loving lawyer Andy Carpenter, and I like that Kelly’s cats Owen and Hercules have just a touch of magic but not too much.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just finished "Red Delicious Death."

When three young people move to town with an eye to opening a locavore (fresh, local foods) restaurant, Meg is all about it, helping secure a location AND local foodstuffs for presentation. Then, just when things are looking up, they get whiplash looking down...one of the partners is found dead. Now, possibly the only thing worse than being found dead is being found dead, face down in a pig wallow! In fact, the only good thing about this dead body is that it wasn't on Meg's property! That, however, doesn't stop Detective Marcus from wanting Meg to somehow be responsible! And we're off to the races as Meg realizes that she is going to have to do her own investigating, which leads her to a most unlikely killer.

And am now reading "A Killer Crop," #4.

OH OH OH! Mailman JUST CAME TO THE DOOR with my pre-ordered copy of "Cat Chase the Moon," the newest Joe Grey book! I want to abandong everything and dive in, but I'm going to FORCE myself to finish The Orchard Mystery series first!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
OH OH OH! Mailman JUST CAME TO THE DOOR with my pre-ordered copy of "Cat Chase the Moon," the newest Joe Grey book! I want to abandong everything and dive in, but I'm going to FORCE myself to finish The Orchard Mystery series first!
I’m jealous! It’s not available as an ebook at the three online libraries to which I have access. But I’m planning to nip down to my local library to see if they have a hard copy. I have “Cat Shout for Joy” checked out electronically to read after “Final Catcall.”

Did you know that Shirley Rousseau Murphy will be 91 in May? Long may she write!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
OH OH OH! Mailman JUST CAME TO THE DOOR with my pre-ordered copy of "Cat Chase the Moon," the newest Joe Grey book!
That's what I'm going to read next week at the latest; it's already downloaded to my Kindle.

I've just finished something English history buffs/Ricardians would like: Richard III and the Death of Chivalry, by David Hipshon. It has some interesting takes on the "Princes in the Tower" and Stanley treachery at Bosworth.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "A Killer Crop" late last night. Meg's relationship with her mom reminded me very much of my relationship with MY mom, although hers was a bit better! My mom wanted to control my life until the day she died.

A KILLER CROP

It's Meg's first harvest, and things are going well, if frantically. In the midst of the furor of getting apples off of the trees and to the markets, Meg's mom shows up out of nowhere. Seems she's in the area to visit an "old friend." A male "old friend." And Dad is off yachting with the guys. Is there trouble in their marriage? Megs wants to know, but...she and Mom aren't the closest. No, no "real" issues, but not as close as they might be. SO...how to amuse Mom and get the apples picked? Well...having the "old friend," a well-respected professor and Emily Dickenson expert murdered, with Mom as one of the suspects will certainly do it! And HERE COMES DETECTIVE MARCUS YET AGAIN. This time, though, he's a bit more reasonable, having gotten to know Meg in the past (and better than either of them might have wanted). But there's a killer on the loose, and with Mom in the middle, Meg is on the hunt again!

I've now started #5, "Bitter Harvest." TRYING to slow down and do these fun cozies justice, while salivating over the copy of "Cat Chase the Moon" waiting in the "To Read" pile! Oh...and it's a BIG pile (although Joe Grey is at the top)! I have MOST of Laura Child's "Tea Shop books waiting (the first 18 of them), a dozen Mary Stewart books to re-read, Dan Brown's "Origin," and ALL of both of "The Cat Who" and the "Mrs. Murphy" series! That should keep me busy, off the streets, and out of trouble for a few more days!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got an email from a cozy mystery list; all books available for $0.99 each through Saturday, in Kindle format. They're also running a contest for a free Kindle, just enter your email address to enter the contest.

Here's the link: http://www.fairfieldpublishing.com/giveaways/kindle-fire-giveaway-cozyapr19/?lucky=6599

Full disclosure: everyone who clicks on this link gives me an extra entry into the contest for the free Kindle.

Margret

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just discovered that this is the first time I've visited this thread this year! I'm astonished and appalled.

I don't set up reading challenges for myself on Goodreads, for two reasons:
  1. I don't consider reading to be a "chore" for which I need some kind of reward or challenge or I won't do it.
  2. I already read too much; it tends to keep me from important things like cleaning litter boxes.
As for what I'm currently reading, well, I tend to read more than one book at once. Currently I'm about halfway through my umpteenth re-reading of The Lord of the Rings. Additionally, I just began two of Laurie R. King's wonderful Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell mysteries that I haven't read previously (I include them both here since the first appears to end on something of a cliff-hanger, which the second resolves):
  • The Language of Bees
  • The God of the Hive
And, of course, I downloaded the Mueller Report and am doggedly slogging through it.

Oh, yes. And I currently have The Collected Kagan "permanently" downloaded to my Nook, so that I can enjoy one of Janet Kagan's wonderful short stories any time I want something to cheer me up (the Mueller Report will do that to you).

Margret

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Full disclosure: everyone who clicks on this link gives me an extra entry into the contest for the free Kindle.
:goodluck: (I clicked on the link, btw)

I've just discovered that this is the first time I've visited this thread this year! I'm astonished and appalled.
:welcomeback2:

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I got an email after I clicked on Margret's link and I now have my first cozy ebook. Something about a bakery and the main characters name is Rachael. I had to download an app. blah, blah, but I finally got it. Anyone read this one?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got an email after I clicked on Margret's link and I now have my first cozy ebook.
I don't have a Kindle, so I didn't put my email. Wonder if that will still count for Margret Margret 's contest entry.

I'm currently reading the book of Me Before You by Jojo Moyes which has been on my reading list for a while so I'm glad to finally pick it up.
I haven't read it, but it appears to be book 1 of a trilogy.
Me Before You Trilogy

I've started my next book. It was one I'd had on hold at the library for a while, and don't really know what it's about, but I must have read something interesting about it to put it on hold.

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles
Anyone read it?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a Kindle, so I didn't put my email. Wonder if that will still count for Margret Margret 's contest entry.
  1. Yes, it should.
  2. I don't have a Kindle either, but I still bought a cozy. You don't actually need a Kindle in order to read Kindle books - Amazon will give you a free app so you can read on your computer or phone. These are available for pretty much any operating system, so it doesn't matter whether you have a Windows computer, or a Mac, or a Linux machine, or whether you have an iPhone or some other smart phone that uses a version of Android. One reason to have a Kindle app is that Amazon offers a lot of Kindle books for free, and frequently they're books that you can't get from any other seller, at least, not for free.
The Kindle icon is really cool, BTW:

Margret

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

I see some of you use "cozy" when describing books. What does that mean?
It's a subgenre, the Cozy Mystery. Called that because there isn't any foul language (very seldom even a "damn"), no explicit sex (about the most explicit sex you'll see is along the lines of "and then they didn't talk anymore," and no overt gore. People do get murdered, and there are descriptions, but they are mild, not described in minute detail. Cozy. I read books with all of the above, but cozy is a welcome change...mysteries that are plot and character driven.

I just finished "Bitter Harvest." This is my Goodreads review (I'm getting very lazy, here!):

"For once, Meg isn't dealing with some body, but she's certainly dealing with someBODY! A series of small mishaps appear unrelated, but Meg adds 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1 + 1, and it adds up to way beyond coincidence! Someone is out to get her...but who? And WHY? As Meg tried to figure out who might possibly have it in for her, she also begins to unravel the mystery behind a 200+ year old sampler found shoved in the back of a closet. And in the end, both mysteries are stitched together in a most unusual way!"

Once I'm through here at TCS, I shall begin #6, "Sour Apples." BTW, the recipes in this series sound YUMMY! I'm addicted to cozies with cats, recipes and the paranormal, and occasionally I manage to find one with ALL THREE!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see some of you use "cozy" when describing books. What does that mean?
"Cozy" is a genre of mystery books. There are procedurals, which are heavy on the procedures that cops use to deal with mysteries; there are thrillers, where the viewpoint character is generally running for her life most of the time (or occasionally his life); there are books like the original Sherlock Holmes novels that are primarily about solving the mystery as if it were a puzzle - do we have a specific name for that kind of mystery? - and then there are cozies. The Miss Marple books tend to be cozies. These are books that aren't too heavy on the fear aspect, and where the life experiences and specialized knowledge of the amateur sleuth tend to somehow be paramount in solving the mystery. They're more character driven, I think. A lot of them will center around specific hobbies: beading, or knitting, or baking or some such. When you're reading a cozy you know in advance that the viewpoint character will survive and that it will be a "feel-good" sort of book. To put it in Agatha Christie terms: Miss Marple books are cozies; Hercule Poirot books tend to be all about "the little grey cells," which makes them more along the lines of the Holmes books; and the Tommy and Tuppence books tend to be thrillers. All of them have aspects of the puzzle to them, of course, and there is some overlap - Poirot will sometimes veer into the thriller lane, for instance.

Margret

Status
Not open for further replies.