Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Finished "April Lady" late last night. Georgette Heyer is always fun, and an easy read. I started "Brownies and Broomsticks" by Bailey Cates this morning, and it should prove interesting, although Our Heroine, Katie, is allergic to cats, which is always a bummer. HOWEVER, there IS a cat, Honeybee, who is Katie's aunt's familiar, and (I think) a small dog who WILL be Katie's. Early days yet, I'm only 30 pages or so in.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris. It just came out and I was surprised there was not a hold on it at the library. I'm reading the EBook. However her other book, Behind Closed Door, which has been out for a few years, has a long line. This is her third book and I'm really enjoying it. The protagonist is not likeable and that makes it fun.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now reading "Bewitched, Bothered and Biscotti," the second in the "Magical Bakery" series by Bailey Cates, and still enjoying the ride! Although Katie is allergic to cats, she does like them, which always helps.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'm reading Stolen Sister by Linda Huber. I'm only on the 4th chapter but it sucked me in from page one.

I also have these to read on my tablet:

Don't Blink by L.G. Davis
The Boy in the Park-A.J. Grayson
The Widow Next Door-L.A. Detwiler

The Perfect Girlfriend-Hamilton

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever brought up having a book club? Anyone who wanted to read the same book, then discuss it?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think anyone has. Probably because we all read different types of books. And at different speeds. Not to mention, get them from different sources, i.e. I download from the library.

But it's a cool idea, and I'd be interested, as long as my library had the e-book available when I needed it.

What does everyone else think?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
SO...I finished the Magical Bakery series, which was a lot of fun, and have moved on the Orchard Mystery series. This was my Goodreads review of the first, "One Bad Apple."

Meg's life is in flux. She's lost her job to a merger with downsizing, she's lost her fiancee to masculine hubris, and she's losing her mind to...well...everything. Looking for something constructive to do, she has taken over renovating a piece of property jointly owned by her mother and herself, after decades of tenancy and neglect. Thinking this would be a "slap on some paint and sell" project, she is dismayed at the amount of work involved. Now, to cap it all off, her septic system is kaput, and has to be replaced. THEN her ex shows up, looking to buy part of the land, which has a beautiful, OLD apple orchard on it, for a hideous development. Could things get any worse? Well, yeah. The ex shows up again, this time dead in her new septic tank, and while there is a certain amount of poetic justice in this, being a murder suspect is NOT what Meg bargained for! Especially since the detective in charge seems convinced he need look no further. What's a girl to do? Why solve the mystery herself, of course!

Look, I have to be very honest. It took me a full SIXTEEN chapters to really get into this book. I mean, the characters were all likable (or hateable, as appropriate), the plot was interesting, Ms. Connolly uses prose well, but although I was LIKING the book and certainly never considered abandoning it, I just "liked" it. Then something clicked for me, and I fell in love with the whole thing. I'll be reading the entire series, keeping them, and rereading in the future

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
SO...I finished the Magical Bakery series, which was a lot of fun, and have moved on the Orchard Mystery series. This was my Goodreads review of the first, "One Bad Apple."

Meg's life is in flux. She's lost her job to a merger with downsizing, she's lost her fiancee to masculine hubris, and she's losing her mind to...well...everything. Looking for something constructive to do, she has taken over renovating a piece of property jointly owned by her mother and herself, after decades of tenancy and neglect. Thinking this would be a "slap on some paint and sell" project, she is dismayed at the amount of work involved. Now, to cap it all off, her septic system is kaput, and has to be replaced. THEN her ex shows up, looking to buy part of the land, which has a beautiful, OLD apple orchard on it, for a hideous development. Could things get any worse? Well, yeah. The ex shows up again, this time dead in her new septic tank, and while there is a certain amount of poetic justice in this, being a murder suspect is NOT what Meg bargained for! Especially since the detective in charge seems convinced he need look no further. What's a girl to do? Why solve the mystery herself, of course!

Look, I have to be very honest. It took me a full SIXTEEN chapters to really get into this book. I mean, the characters were all likable (or hateable, as appropriate), the plot was interesting, Ms. Connolly uses prose well, but although I was LIKING the book and certainly never considered abandoning it, I just "liked" it. Then something clicked for me, and I fell in love with the whole thing. I'll be reading the entire series, keeping them, and rereading in the future
Great review!! You should write a book!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , with my crazy family, I've actually thought about it...taking all the nutso stories about them, and framing them into a work of fiction. The trouble is, MOST people would think, "Oh, that could NEVER happen!" But I do enjoy reviewing books, most of the time, and have done so for a couple of authors, now.

Reading #3 now, "Red Delicious Death."

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Mia6 Mia6 , with my crazy family, I've actually thought about it...taking all the nutso stories about them, and framing them into a work of fiction. The trouble is, MOST people would think, "Oh, that could NEVER happen!" But I do enjoy reviewing books, most of the time, and have done so for a couple of authors, now.

Reading #3 now, "Red Delicious Death."
You should do it! Make it a novel, change a few things. You're an excellent writer.
I've written a few reviews on Goodreads but only a few sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.