All Thing Books And Reading Thread 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks @foxxycat. I've added them all to my wishlist at the library. I've now got 631 on that list. At 1 book a week, which will NEVER happen, it would take me 12 years to read them all. At my reading speed, I'm going to have to live another lifetime! Might have to delete some from the list. :catman:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is that the series that the earlier books are better than the later ones?
Yeah, the earlier books were far more plot and far less shennanigans, although there was a heathy dose of shennanigans in the early ones, as well.

@foxxycat sent me some really racy romance books. :eek2: But I prefer the Christian Romance books that she sent me, I'm kind of a goody-goody like that. :D
STAY ENTIRELY AWAY FROM HAMILTON! You will not like them, at all. You may, however, enjoy any of the cozy mysteries. They are called "cozy" because there is no sex (beyond, "and then they didn't talk anymore") or foul language at all. You could allow a 10 year old to read them, if they were sufficiently advanced enough.

I'm reading "Low Country Summer" right now, continuing my Dorothea Benton Frank binge. I binge read like I binge watch television serieseseseseses ~slaps self in face~. After I finish her books, I'm going to start reading the Mrs. Murphy cozy series from start to (almost) finish. I don't have the last two, because they aren't out in paperback yet.

I love binge reading series. I get to totally immerse myself in the world that the author has built, to follow lives and events in a very organic way.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, Stinky15 Stinky15 , the Mrs. Murphy books are about cats, and I have the entire Joe Grey series (with the new one pre-ordered), and I have the first 20 of the Lillian Jackson Braun series, will order the rest next month! There are probably 300 books about cats on my shelves, them majority of them are cozy mysteries.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read Mistborn. I mostly liked it. Definitely interesting story. I'm excited about the Walking Dead compendium 4 coming out in October!! I think I'm going to opt for kindle versions from now on. Physical space is much too valueable.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
STILL working on Frank. Currently reading "Folly Beach," and enjoying it. BOY there are lots of ghosts in her books, for them not to be "paranormal" books!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Come on, this is a Cat website. You should be reading books with cats in them like Lilian Jackson Braun "Cat Who" books... Thoroughly enjoyed all of them. Was sad I got to then end. I have em all in epub format.
Well, Stinky15 Stinky15 , the Mrs. Murphy books are about cats, and I have the entire Joe Grey series (with the new one pre-ordered), and I have the first 20 of the Lillian Jackson Braun series, will order the rest next month! There are probably 300 books about cats on my shelves, them majority of them are cozy mysteries.
:yeah: Other good ones are the Magical Cats series by Sofie Kelly, the Second Chance series by Sofie Ryan (same author, btw), the Cat in the Stacks mysteries by Miranda James, the Witch City mysteries by Carol J. Perry, and the Cats in Trouble series by Leann Sweeney.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've just started the 5th book in the "10 Beach Road" series by Wendy Wax. It's called One Good Thing (Ten Beach Road, #5) by Wendy Wax

Since I had to wait to borrow it, I read 2 other books in the interim.

The first one was:
The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg
It was about men and women seeing each other again at the 40th high school reunion. It was just ok.

The second one was:
The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
It was about 2 strangers (a man and a woman) trying to find their way down a snowy mountain after the small plane they chartered crashes. I really enjoyed this one, and read it very quickly. Well, my version of quickly. ;)

It was made into a movie, so now I want to see it.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've just started the 5th book in the "10 Beach Road" series by Wendy Wax. It's called One Good Thing (Ten Beach Road, #5) by Wendy Wax

Since I had to wait to borrow it, I read 2 other books in the interim.

The first one was:
The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg
It was about men and women seeing each other again at the 40th high school reunion. It was just ok.

The second one was:
The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin
It was about 2 strangers (a man and a woman) trying to find their way down a snowy mountain after the small plane they chartered crashes. I really enjoyed this one, and read it very quickly. Well, my version of quickly. ;)

It was made into a movie, so now I want to see it.
I'd like to read the book and see the film; sounds good. I love people-trapped-the-wilderness books and it ends well.

I got a book from the library by K.L. Slater, one of my fave psychological thriller authors. I thought "Wowza, this looks really good." Well, it was !! I'd read it before, :flail:

I also got Bridget Jones's Diary, the film, but they sent me the VHS version?? :lol:

I still have lots to choose from on my tablet.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I finished "Porch Lights" and "The Last Original Wife," and started "The Hurricane Sisters," ALL by Dorothea Benton Frank. I especially enjoyed "The Last Original Wife," having been in her situation, but (sadly) without finding several million dollars squirreled away. ANYHOW, I'm down to the final few Frank books now, and will be embarking on a series (or four) of cozy mysteries by next week!

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to read He Will Kill You by Charlie Gallagher one of the well, you know the genre by now, ha!

Then I may read what aliceneko aliceneko is reading, After Auschwitz

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I finished the Witch City cozy mystery series, then read Das Kuscheltierdrama (The Cuddly Animal Drama), by Achim Gruber, which was excellent. It was written by an animal pathologist at the Free University of Berlin. He discussed some of his most unusual cases, several zoonotic diseases, and how cruel breeding can be. Anybody who reads it and has a conscience wouldn't get a brachycephalic dog like a pug or bulldog, or a Sphynx or Munchkin cat, that's for sure!

I've just started Naming Jack the Ripper, New Crime Scene Evidence, A Stunning Forensic Breakthrough, The Killer Revealed, by Russell Edwards, which is interesting.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've finished ALL of the Dorothea Benton Frank books now, except for Queen Bee, which will have to wait until it comes out in paperback. Now reading Georgette Heyer's "April Lady" for my Goodreads group, for the first time in YEARS! I'll finish it up tonight, and start on one of my cozy series that are waiting in the wings...not sure which one yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.