All of sudden my cat scarred of us,and hiding? help needed

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are never got out, even to the hallway. They are strictly indoors cause our apartment residents aremore likely dog owners. So i am scarred that might be hurt or something.
Well, my point was that there could be new smells out in the hall, or even through a wall, that has been registered as "something is different and scary." Especially dog smells... It's just a theory.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is not health/medical related, which it sounds like it isn't, then you have two other possible options - 1.) your other cat is sick and this cat is reacting to it, which does happen sometimes. The only problem with this option is that he is acting scared around everyone not just the other cat - unless the other cat is always around where he avoids going. 2.) there is something that happened that you are not aware of and may still be happening. Since you can't seem to be able to find a source of the problem, whatever it was is hopefully not happening anymore, and over time your cat will return to normal.

The list of pills the vet prescribed seems atrocious to me based on what they are saying about his test results. You might want to continue with the prozac in the hopes it will help with his anxiety/apprehension that this mystery event brought on. Or, you might consider getting a second opinion, which I expect would tell you that there are just too many drugs/meds being prescribed for him.

Last edited:

seejay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
kinda wrote a novel, im sorry 😅 adhd has been kicking my arse lately

prior to this behavior... who was in your home? even for just a few minutes. keep in mind it could be the kidlet. accidents happen, lots of bonking around and kidlet looks to be near about the age i was when "run, don't walk" kicked in. haha

at normal walking speed (or running toddler speed), even bare, a footbonk anywhere on a cat's body feels like a purposeful kick. the person will panic, as they didn't mean to hurt it, and try to give comfort. then chase the cat until it is cornered yet unreachable in the attempt to 'apologize'. then it just keeps happening over and over: everyone is trying to comfort/apologize.

when he ventures outside his hiding spot, who is in the room he wants to be in? (and think about who/what is not!) what was the noise level in the entire home, and were there sudden sounds of joy when he was seen?

get a 2nd opinion from a different veterinarian as soon as feasible. 11 medications is outrageously suspicious. do not give all of them at the same time - space it out the entire day. bring all documents and meds with you to the new vet.

my suggestion would be to get everyone out of the house except yourself for as long as you can arrange it. one day/ night cycle, 24hrs would be ideal, as a first try. and simply sit near, but not directly next to, the place he's hidden. get comfy on the floor if you can. bring essentials with you. voice only at soothing levels or whisper, only before you need to make a large movement (standing, moving your legs in any fashion etc.and move sedately/not full speed). otherwise be silent as possible.

is a 3hr cat purring audio, I've basically raised my cats on it.

keep food & water between you and the hiding place, at different distances. do not speak, do not move if he comes out. at all. let him realize nothing is going to happen. he will eventually get the courage to explore, ignore him. don't follow, don't stop what you're focused on, and do the same soft noise (not words) you've been doing before large motions

if by the end of the 24hrs, then it is emotional trauma related. however i am curious about the.. were they cysts? i forgot while I typed this 🥴but i wonder if they can form due to, perhaps blunt force trauma of being accidentally kicked?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it is not health/medical related, which it sounds like it isn't, then you have two other possible options - 1.) your other cat is sick and this cat is reacting to it, which does happen sometimes. The only problem with this option is that he is acting scared around everyone not just the other cat - unless the other cat is always around where he avoids going. 2.) there is something that happened that you are not aware of and may still be happening. Since you can't seem to be able to find a source of the problem, whatever it was is hopefully not happening anymore, and over time your cat will return to normal.

The list of pills the vet prescribed seems atrocious to me based on what they are saying about his test results. You might want to continue with the prozac in the hopes it will help with his anxiety/apprehension that this mystery event brought on. Or, you might consider getting a second opinion, which I expect would tell you that there are just too many drugs/meds being prescribed for him.
I took him to another vet this friday. He cut all of the meds. He says his vitals are good. Might be psychological but let his system cleans out from the meds and check again. If he stop eating or dont use litter come right away but if he eats drinks dont worry. But other vet insist about ulcers 🤦‍♀️🥺 second vet says its an inflammation not ulcers. And this meds that they gave can cause it too (painkiller+steroids)
EDEC095B-588F-45AA-B642-A392EF4116A7.jpeg

E18C7E7E-D05E-4EA1-9C97-272455E3D038.jpeg

2CAA886E-266F-4D23-B236-6223DBCDF211.jpeg

This are the images that they insisted on.
i gave my all savings to this vet and almost 2 months now he is still the same. This new vet or the first one I dont know which one is right. :(

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kinda wrote a novel, im sorry 😅 adhd has been kicking my arse lately

prior to this behavior... who was in your home? even for just a few minutes. keep in mind it could be the kidlet. accidents happen, lots of bonking around and kidlet looks to be near about the age i was when "run, don't walk" kicked in. haha

at normal walking speed (or running toddler speed), even bare, a footbonk anywhere on a cat's body feels like a purposeful kick. the person will panic, as they didn't mean to hurt it, and try to give comfort. then chase the cat until it is cornered yet unreachable in the attempt to 'apologize'. then it just keeps happening over and over: everyone is trying to comfort/apologize.

when he ventures outside his hiding spot, who is in the room he wants to be in? (and think about who/what is not!) what was the noise level in the entire home, and were there sudden sounds of joy when he was seen?

get a 2nd opinion from a different veterinarian as soon as feasible. 11 medications is outrageously suspicious. do not give all of them at the same time - space it out the entire day. bring all documents and meds with you to the new vet.

my suggestion would be to get everyone out of the house except yourself for as long as you can arrange it. one day/ night cycle, 24hrs would be ideal, as a first try. and simply sit near, but not directly next to, the place he's hidden. get comfy on the floor if you can. bring essentials with you. voice only at soothing levels or whisper, only before you need to make a large movement (standing, moving your legs in any fashion etc.and move sedately/not full speed). otherwise be silent as possible.

is a 3hr cat purring audio, I've basically raised my cats on it.

keep food & water between you and the hiding place, at different distances. do not speak, do not move if he comes out. at all. let him realize nothing is going to happen. he will eventually get the courage to explore, ignore him. don't follow, don't stop what you're focused on, and do the same soft noise (not words) you've been doing before large motions

if by the end of the 24hrs, then it is emotional trauma related. however i am curious about the.. were they cysts? i forgot while I typed this 🥴but i wonder if they can form due to, perhaps blunt force trauma of being accidentally kicked?
I took him to another vet he checked his body, mouth, eyes and vitals. He says he is fine but it might be psychological. He cut all the meds (4 of it drugs other seven are vitamins, supplements etc…) i think they did a great sell on me. 🥲 i am going to open this music around him. I also open cat music he comes out but not coming on us. Just watching us from distance and run back under the sofa.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New symptom observation :( He was sleeping under the blanket, I opened a wet food for him which he loves it. He step out from the bed and jump to the floor and scream very short but like he was in pain. They got all the xrays but i suspect that might orthopedical issue. :( i will took him to the vet again.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New symptom observation :( He was sleeping under the blanket, I opened a wet food for him which he loves it. He step out from the bed and jump to the floor and scream very short but like he was in pain. They got all the xrays but i suspect that might orthopedical issue. :( i will took him to the vet again.
I'm sorry you're going through this. How are you choosing which vets to go to?

This may be a completely unhelpful post but I went through a mystery medical issue (a human medical issue, for myself) that was serious, and I went to many doctors who all had different opinions, had many procedures, and nothing worked for a long time.

I started collecting every single piece of information and bringing it with me to every appointment, and if I didn't think anyone was being thorough and looking at all previous opinions, I didn't trust them. When I finally found the doctor I really trusted, it was because they were very thorough. And that was how I got better.

That's just very general advice I just thought I'd add.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am kind of getting lost.
Is he eating and drinking now - and comes out from wherever he is to do so?
How/where is his time spent now? (Another member has asked this, but I didn't see your response, or missed it somehow.)
The 'new' vet wants him of all the meds to see if one or more of them might have caused or attributed to the 'inflammation'? Did he say how long it might take to clear his system?
Did you say they did x-rays - of his spine/legs? What did the vet(s) say about them?
Is this the first time he has had an incident with jumping down from something?

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am kind of getting lost.
Is he eating and drinking now - and comes out from wherever he is to do so?
How/where is his time spent now? (Another member has asked this, but I didn't see your response, or missed it somehow.)
The 'new' vet wants him of all the meds to see if one or more of them might have caused or attributed to the 'inflammation'? Did he say how long it might take to clear his system?
Did you say they did x-rays - of his spine/legs? What did the vet(s) say about them?
Is this the first time he has had an incident with jumping down from something?
He was eating-drinking very first time actually. He go out eats and run back under the bed. Our complaint was he was hiding all day under the bed. Scarred from us and hiss at other cat. Our first visit the vet says it’s psychological there are no problems with his blood,urine and xrays. After a week his walks got slow. He didnt come out for eating if I put his meal under the bed he eats but not come out so i took him again. And vet did all the blood work, xrays etc… and this time he did abdominal ultrasound. And said he has suspection about pancreatitis. Gave us bunch of meds that i mentioned above. After 15 days of steroids he started to come out. But when we stopped steroids he got worse. Stop eating just lay under the bed. So we took him again and this time they did endoscopy colonoscopy said he has ulcers 🤦‍♀️ gave a bunch of new pills and supplements (4 diffrent pill,syrups for stomach and 7 different vitamins,supplements) we gave him for 2 days and he got worse and woorse. We immediately stop and he started eating next day. So we decided to go another vet. More good one actually famous in our area. Its kind a cat hospital also.
He checked his old results and said us stop every thing let him be for 5-7 days observe. And clear his system from all of this and come back cause his vitals were good. So we will took him this friday.
this incident that i mentioned was the first but he was very slow, cant jump like old times he cant get his coordination while jumping too. But he screamed this time from like 30cm height. But his spine and legs and knees and hip xrays was normal :(or old vet didnt take from right angle i dunno.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you're going through this. How are you choosing which vets to go to?

This may be a completely unhelpful post but I went through a mystery medical issue (a human medical issue, for myself) that was serious, and I went to many doctors who all had different opinions, had many procedures, and nothing worked for a long time.

I started collecting every single piece of information and bringing it with me to every appointment, and if I didn't think anyone was being thorough and looking at all previous opinions, I didn't trust them. When I finally found the doctor I really trusted, it was because they were very thorough. And that was how I got better.

That's just very general advice I just thought I'd add.
First vet was our friends coworker. This one was their branch in a different city. So we trusted that our friend will leading them.
the other one that i choose he has phd, very famous in our townso fingers crossed he will find outthis friday.

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any update? I hope things have improved for your cutie over the last couple of months.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any update? I hope things have improved for your cutie over the last couple of months.
Hey, we had some progress. He has some orthepedic problems which arent certain yet. They think it might be knee, hernia or neurological issues or maybe arthritis. Xrays shows knee deformities but what is causing there not sure. He needs a MRI but in my country it’s little hard to get a mri for a cat:(

egofailure

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad there's been some improvement and am sorry that there appear to be medical factors contributing. Chronic pain really, really sucks.

Before this? Did your cat prefer to be in elevated places? I wonder if providing small steps to those spots would be helpful.