All of sudden my cat scarred of us,and hiding? help needed

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 6yo neutered male cat is started to hide under bed 25 days ago. We have 2 cats and they were together for since they were 4-5 weeks old. Not only other cat, he is acting stranger around us too.
i took him to the vet to rule out any other health issue. Blood work,xrays, neurological exams and etc… everything was just fine. He said psychological. His environment hasnt changed,we didnt go anywhere. Everything is the same as for the past 2 years. The vet gave kot bayoun( its herbal stress reliever) and feliway classic. Not working almost a weeknow. What should I do?I am desperate:((any ideas?
8B658624-529E-4042-8F84-80F02BF009DA.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There HAS to be something that happened or is happening that caused this. There are so many things that we humans take for granted that can really affect some cats. This could be something like a new stray/animal coming around your home that he can sense or see. Could it be something the child in that pic did, not deliberately, but that scared your cat nonetheless? New furniture/carpeting/detergents/candles/etc.? Construction in and/or around the area, maintenance people, strangers who have visited?

How is he eating/drinking/using the litter box? As part of his checkup did they do a urinalysis?

There are other calming products besides the ones you have tried - not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment with more. Do a search on the internet under 'cat calming products' to see other options. There is also cat music you might think about - David Teie’s Music for Cats, Alexa cat music, also Relax My Cat .com, and Spotify to name a few.

The other thing to at least consider is that it is the other cat with a health issue, or perhaps a human in your house. Scent changes from illnesses associated to other pets or people can negatively impact some cats. Medications taken by others can also throw off a cat.

Additionally, if you have the space, you might give him a place to hang out by himself with all of his necessities, that others cannot access - especially if anyone/pet can do so now. Of course, you will have to check on him often, but maybe the 'safe' space for most of the time might be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There HAS to be something that happened or is happening that caused this. There are so many things that we humans take for granted that can really affect some cats. This could be something like a new stray/animal coming around your home that he can sense or see. Could it be something the child in that pic did, not deliberately, but that scared your cat nonetheless? New furniture/carpeting/detergents/candles/etc.? Construction in and/or around the area, maintenance people, strangers who have visited?

How is he eating/drinking/using the litter box? As part of his checkup did they do a urinalysis?

There are other calming products besides the ones you have tried - not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment with more. Do a search on the internet under 'cat calming products' to see other options. There is also cat music you might think about - David Teie’s Music for Cats, Alexa cat music, also Relax My Cat .com, and Spotify to name a few.

The other thing to at least consider is that it is the other cat with a health issue, or perhaps a human in your house. Scent changes from illnesses associated to other pets or people can negatively impact some cats. Medications taken by others can also throw off a cat.

Additionally, if you have the space, you might give him a place to hang out by himself with all of his necessities, that others cannot access - especially if anyone/pet can do so now. Of course, you will have to check on him often, but maybe the 'safe' space for most of the time might be helpful.
Thank you very much. Off course I am not sure what happened all of a sudden but anything change in our. We live in an apartment that he cant contact with any other pet. Only his other cat which he is extra okey, very playful. Baby and cat was getting along quite okey since this happened too. They didnt do urinalysis but they check his genital part to eliminate blokage. I also keepin eye on his pee and poo everytng is okay there too. He only comes out for eating. If I had treat for him he come eat and run back under the bed. He was a loving cat, loves to cuddle but now he doesnt even want to pet him. I will ask for urinalysis also they suggest prozac do you think should I use?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You'd be amazed of the stories that have been told about other cats in an apartment that their cat realized existed. Some even allow their cats to roam the hallways. Other cats will spray on doors. So, being in an apartment doesn't rule out other cat/pet issues. It also doesn't rule out neighbors - new or otherwise - who make noises that would be new to your cat. Things that a lot of us, me too, just kind of 'blew off' knowing how apartment living can sometimes be.

Good to get a urinalysis - something could be going on that is not visually obvious. I am not an advocate of drugging a cat, but lots of folks do it to see if it might even help enough to bring them out of whatever they are going through. So, maybe.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sounds just like what happened two weeks ago with my humphrey. But it was just a really bad FHS episode. Sometimes at the peak of those he stares at me as if he doesn't know me, its really sad and heartbreaking when they do that

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds just like what happened two weeks ago with my humphrey. But it was just a really bad FHS episode. Sometimes at the peak of those he stares at me as if he doesn't know me, its really sad and heartbreaking when they do that
Fhs could happen for 25 days? I googled it and its says tremors etc… but he is just scarres and hiding under the bed.

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Fhs could happen for 25 days? I googled it and its says tremors etc… but he is just scarres and hiding under the bed.
It happened two weeks ago but it was just an episode of about 2 or 3 hours, didn't mean that it was a continuous episode for 2 weeks. That would be horrendous haha

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I noticed in your photo that you have a little one. Did they start becoming more mobile lately?

It can be spooky for a cat because toddlers have pretty loud feet 😂

Cat calming music might support other efforts.

Was there opportunity for your little one to have accidentally pinched or something? Are you teaching to pet with the back of the hand to avoid your toddler's grasping reflex being activated?

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed in your photo that you have a little one. Did they start becoming more mobile lately?

It can be spooky for a cat because toddlers have pretty loud feet 😂

Cat calming music might support other efforts.

Was there opportunity for your little one to have accidentally pinched or something? Are you teaching to pet with the back of the hand to avoid your toddler's grasping reflex being activated?
Hello,
Uptade… Almost 1.5 months and he is still hiding and scarred from us!
Yess my little one is mobile buy he loves them I always watch him, no harmful act to the cats. He just hugs them and pet them slowly, I teach this cause i can imagine frustration for cats.
90750E25-0D24-4868-AAF0-18E073FF109C.jpeg

9E5D4598-9741-4703-BDF0-DAE2005EC419.jpeg

Anyways we had very expensive visits to vet and unfortunately they can diagnose anything that can hurting. Except ulcers in his stomach according to endoscopy but he still eats very good. So i doubt that!!! (i feel like they cant diagnose with something and just told us this)
They gave us bunch of pills including anti depressants. And i started immediately ofcourse but he stop eating just lay under the bed for 2 days. And I cut the pills and he started eating again. Still afraid of us. Come out slowly to living room, walk very scarred. :(
so i am looking foranother vetnow i am in my wits end! Idont know what to if that new vet can help either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If this cat is not the 'snuggly' type, being hugged/petted by a toddler might not be his favorite experience and so he kind of tries to avoid it as much as possible. This whole process might take a lot longer than it would otherwise. Were you able to rule out 'outside' impacts that could have started this change? Is he doing any better with his cat roommate?

I don't know what all the tests were that the vet did, but if they were all pretty normal - up to and including him getting an endoscopy - it might be why they resorted to anti-depressant meds. What are these 'bunch of pills' that aren't working? Maybe not so many pills all at once - some can make changes in a cat until their body adapts to new meds, and too many meds being introduced probably wouldn't help matters much in that regard.

I am still of the mindset that some 'environmental influence' began when his demeanor changed - assuming this isn't a missed medical issue - and whatever that was is still going on.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How does he normally react to opening the front door and hallway? Is he any extra scared? I’m thinking this is another cat or large dog. Any way you can ask around to see if anyone has adopted an animal recently or has a visitor?

KittyFriday

🐱
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the vet told you this, but if they put him on Prozac, it can take up to 8-12 weeks for the medication to kick in and effects to be seen, and it can be a rough start, especially in the beginning. It can cause appetite changes and extra anxiety as well while the med gets into the system. It's something to be aware of, as obviously you don't want him to stop eating completely, or do you want him to be in an even more intense state of panic, but it's just par for the course with antidepressants, unfortunately.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If this cat is not the 'snuggly' type, being hugged/petted by a toddler might not be his favorite experience and so he kind of tries to avoid it as much as possible. This whole process might take a lot longer than it would otherwise. Were you able to rule out 'outside' impacts that could have started this change? Is he doing any better with his cat roommate?

I don't know what all the tests were that the vet did, but if they were all pretty normal - up to and including him getting an endoscopy - it might be why they resorted to anti-depressant meds. What are these 'bunch of pills' that aren't working? Maybe not so many pills all at once - some can make changes in a cat until their body adapts to new meds, and too many meds being introduced probably wouldn't help matters much in that regard.

I am still of the mindset that some 'environmental influence' began when his demeanor changed - assuming this isn't a missed medical issue - and whatever that was is still going on.
Cat was the most snuggle type that I have ever had. He is so loving he was sleeping with my baby since day 1. All of a sudden he started hiding, first I thought of my friends visit. Cause she had 6 cats but she visited me several times before. He was fine. He was sleeping with her before this visit. He was the most loving cat you can imagine. So calm, snuggly.
he was very good with his cat brother too but now hiss at him any time he got near with other cat.We will see what gonna say thisother vet says on friday.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Btw I forgot the mention. Pills was cortisone,antibiotics,painkillers,beta inhibitors for stomach, bunch of vitamins, and prozac. We started same day and he was sooo bad. Vet gave us chart but 11 pills+supplements which he got more stressful when i try to give

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How does he normally react to opening the front door and hallway? Is he any extra scared? I’m thinking this is another cat or large dog. Any way you can ask around to see if anyone has adopted an animal recently or has a visitor?
He wont come out from bedroom just for eating and litter box. But yesterday he come to living room but extra scarred and this morning he came slowly to bathroom and he rubbed to my legs but still very scarred. Nobody who came to our house has any new pets. Vet is suspicios about brain but CT scans is really expensive that I cant afford.

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the vet told you this, but if they put him on Prozac, it can take up to 8-12 weeks for the medication to kick in and effects to be seen, and it can be a rough start, especially in the beginning. It can cause appetite changes and extra anxiety as well while the med gets into the system. It's something to be aware of, as obviously you don't want him to stop eating completely, or do you want him to be in an even more intense state of panic, but it's just par for the course with antidepressants, unfortunately.
Yes he mentioned that. We gave a 0.2 ml right now. He say increase after a week to 0.3 ml. I hope its right 🙏

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes he mentioned that. We gave a 0.2 ml right now. He say increase after a week to 0.3 ml. I hope its right 🙏
This really sounds med-related to me. And/or some specific experience spooked him... and extra possible anxiety caused by med side-effects as he is adjusting are just making him standoffish.

Definitely sounds like he's not feeling well, and maybe from side-effects. But as long as you have a vet you trust and discuss these issues I would just wait this out and see what happens.

I have the most snuggly and lap-cat ever, who I rescued from outside, but he went through some periods of hiding earlier in his life. He is now 9 and never wants to be anywhere other than on my lap.

Last edited:

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This really sounds med-related to me. And/or some specific experience spooked him... and extra possible anxiety caused by med side-effects as he is adjusting are just making him standoffish.

Definitely sounds like he's not feeling well, and maybe from side-effects. But as long as you have a vet you trust and discuss these issues I would just wait this out and see what happens.

I have the most snuggly and lap-cat ever, who I rescued from outside, but he went through some periods of hiding earlier in his life. He is now 9 and never wants to be anywhere other than on my lap.
What do u think his earlier behaviors? Started to hide, hiss at his cat brother sometimes us :( vet did all bloodwork-urinalysis. Xrays-endoscopy-colonoscopy and ultrasound. Except some ulcers in the stomach they cant find anything. But they rule out ulcers semptoms cause he is eating really well.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd be amazed of the stories that have been told about other cats in an apartment that their cat realized existed. Some even allow their cats to roam the hallways.
I can confirm this. My cat never has had an issue with other cats... he immediately expects any cat to be his friend, and walks right up to rub. One of my apartment neighbors had a cat and they were best buddies, we'd let into the hallway and they'd rub and play (always supervised).

However, another neighbor's cat absolutely freaked out when Willy tried to get close.

I've lived in this building for 7 years, and THREE TIMES I found a random cat lost in the hallway (different cat each time). Had to alert the building manager, even had to trap one myself one time. People can be so irresponsible.

The cats were absolutely freaked out when lost in the hallway each time I found them.

Smells could have been deposited in the hallway during those incidents. Luckily, my cat doesn't care, but some other cats might.

Last edited:

bgcnpryy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can confirm this. My cat never has had an issue with other cats... he immediately expects any cat to be his friend, and walks right up to rub. One of my apartment neighbors had a cat and they were best buddies, we'd let into the hallway and they'd rub and play (always supervised).

However, another neighbor's cat absolutely freaked out when Willy tried to get close.

I've lived in this building for 7 years, and THREE TIMES I found a random cat lost in the hallway (different cat each time). Had to alert the building manager, even had to trap one myself one time. People can be so irresponsible.

The cats were absolutely freaked out when lost in the hallway each time I found them.

Smells could have been deposited in the hallway during those incidents. Luckily, my cat doesn't care, but some other cats might.
My cats are never got out, even to the hallway. They are strictly indoors cause our apartment residents aremore likely dog owners. So i am scarred that might be hurt or something.