All About Dreams...The Sleeping Kind

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I though I would start a thread about dreams.
Do you think dreams hold meaning? Are they an expression of what you're going thru at the time? Are they just a regurgitation of what happened that day? Or mindless brain movies about nothing?
Tell me about your last dream, most memorable dream....or nightmare.

The last couple of dreams I had, I don't think held any meaning. Or at least I hope not! LOL!
A couple of nights ago, I had a dream involving Jason Statham, but it was also really weird. He would pursue me, but would disappear...over and over. And we were in this really oddly laid out mansion/castle/hotel. Other people were around too...very casual...nothing kinky. It's like in the dream it would randomly skip and voila I or he was in a different location, and I was desperately searching for him. And he was trying to find me. We finally got together.........and.......I woke up:sigh:. The whole thing didn't really make sense.

Then the next night....and this one I'm quite embarrassed about....involved Justine Beiber.....and NO I'm not a fan, and am WAY to old for him, so I feel kinda pervy about it....
But we were set up for some reason, but before we were to get together, I started having gastric distress and had to use the bathroom. But all the bathrooms were wide open, for all to see, it was sort of a restaurant type setting...in the dream it seemed this was the norm. And when I tried to go...nothing would happen...And he eventually came for me and started "chatting me up" while I'm on this public toilet. Then the dream skips...and we are getting "friendly"...but it's not going well...and I then wake up........seriously......WT:censored:

I'm fine with "sexy dreams"...but these were just awful! LOL!

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe all dreams have a meaning. Always have. I also believe and practice lucid dreaming and astral projection quite frequently. BTW: sex in a dream is NOT about sex. It's about a merging of thought and idea (think Spock), but the dream uses the symbolism that we associate with it. There's so much to dreams to explore that would require books. I would suggest looking into Robert Moss on dreams. Doesn't matter which of his books you start off with. He can explain much more than I can.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sex in a dream is NOT about sex. It's about a merging of thought and idea
good to know...because...well....Justin Beiber and pooping????LOL!

I guess I need to figure out what this thought / idea thing is all about.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
good to know...because...well....Justin Beiber and pooping????LOL!

I guess I need to figure out what this thought / idea thing is all about.
BTW the bathrooms in my dreams are also very open like yours. Sometimes there's even food buffets or whatever (gross) and I have yet to figure it out. Sometimes the bathrooms are dirty and disgusting and sometimes they're extremely lavish. Sometimes I know exactly where to go and sometimes I'm lost and can't find the bathroom.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BTW the bathrooms in my dreams are also very open like yours.
My first thought would be that an open bathroom would point to a sense of being or feeling vulnerable or something to that effect...but that's just my non educated guess.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
My dreams are so fragmented that it’s hard to describe one to others. But I do have themes. I travel a lot in them and frequently don’t know my flight times or can’t find my tickets. I also park my car a great deal and then am unable to find it. I am never really stressed and if I get too upset I always wake up.

• Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some dreams have meanings. I usually can tell right away if it had a meaning. They are different. But most of my dreams are just dreams. I am careful not to watch things I don't want to dream about. Sometimes I dream about books I've read.

Last nights dream was just really pleasant. It could have made a Hallmark movie. :lol: There was a young modern queen who was also part of some kind of famous dance competition type group known for really unique/dramatic dances. Then there was a man who also danced with them but was some kind of nobility or something. I remember that they got engaged after dancing together for a while and that there were secret rooms in the palace that looked more like a huge house. And some security guard for the guy kept getting mad at him for going out of his sight and he accidentally found a secret part of the guy's closet full of more suits and dress shoes. :flail: I really don't think it had any meaning. I think my brain just decided I needed a break after having 3 things break down on our house in the last 2-3 weeks! I woke up feeling like I do after finishing a great book. Sort of an afterglow. Even if it was Hallmark movie worthy. :lol::rolleyes2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can remember my dreams for about 5 minutes after waking up. Even if I think "I have to remember that, it's a funny story to tell someone", I'll forget it right away. Just gone out of my head. So the only way I'd be able to identify a theme would be to write them down immediately, which I haven't done.

I think dreams are your brain's way of working things out, I don't think there's a deeper or symbolic meaning though.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe dreams have meaning. I also believe that loved ones who have died visit you in your dreams. When my late cat, Willie, died, I was devastated but I couldn't wait for her to visit me in my dreams. I think about 6 weeks later, I dreamt that she was sleeping on my chest (which she often did) and I swear I could hear her purring like she was right there. It was a very bittersweet moment.

A few months after my great-grandma died in 2008, I dreamt that she was insisting that I wear this watch. I told my mom about it the next day and she said that when she visited my grandma in the hospital before she died, she asked my mom where the watch was. My mom didn't know what she was talking about. My mom had never told me that, so for me to dream about it was weird. I still don't know what the watch is about though. I asked my grandma and she had an idea what it meant, but I didn't really get a clear answer.

I had a dream last night that I was in my childhood home and my favorite actress was visiting for some reason and I kept wanting to talk to her, but I was always pulled away or had to do something. Then when she had to leave, I was scrambling to try and talk to her but I was impeded by something, yet again.

I also have a lot of recurring dreams. One of the most frequent ones is where I have pet birds like I did when I was a kid and I find them dead in their cage or barely alive because I didn't feed them. I then can't decide if I want to save them or not because I think they'd be better off not having an owner like me. A lot of times they end up multiplying for some reason. I still have the dream, but in the last few years they've changed a little where I try and save them if they are dying or they aren't dying at all and are healthy. I kind of attribute that to my depression getting better about 5 years ago.

• Purraise

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought would be that an open bathroom would point to a sense of being or feeling vulnerable or something to that effect...but that's just my non educated guess.
If I dream about bathrooms it’s because I have to pee. My bladder is telling my mind I have to go but I’m too deep into sleep. The bathrooms are always filthy or toilets overflowing etc.

• Purraise

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I retired almost 11 years ago and to this day I still dream that I am back at work. I don't know why but a lot if people that I worked with did not like me and they made my life a living hell. I guess they needed someone to pick on.The dreams are always bad like I was getting fired, or they took away my pension or that I have so much work I can not complete it. I would not care if I had the dream once in awhile but it is everytime I go to sleep.

• Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I rarely remember my dreams. I have read that if you concentrate on remembering them when you first wake up then you can, I have never done it though. I do occasionally have a dream about being lost. It's always in an urban setting and the main thing I remember is being very frustrated and wanting to wake up. I haven't had that one in quite some time probably because now that I am 64 life is very settled. Not happy with how everything has gone but it is settled. I think that is probably why I haven't had that dream in a long time.

• Purraise

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I though I would start a thread about dreams.
Do you think dreams hold meaning? Are they an expression of what you're going thru at the time? Are they just a regurgitation of what happened that day? Or mindless brain movies about nothing?
Tell me about your last dream, most memorable dream....or nightmare.

The last couple of dreams I had, I don't think held any meaning. Or at least I hope not! LOL!
A couple of nights ago, I had a dream involving Jason Statham, but it was also really weird. He would pursue me, but would disappear...over and over. And we were in this really oddly laid out mansion/castle/hotel. Other people were around too...very casual...nothing kinky. It's like in the dream it would randomly skip and voila I or he was in a different location, and I was desperately searching for him. And he was trying to find me. We finally got together.........and.......I woke up:sigh:. The whole thing didn't really make sense.

Then the next night....and this one I'm quite embarrassed about....involved Justine Beiber.....and NO I'm not a fan, and am WAY to old for him, so I feel kinda pervy about it....
But we were set up for some reason, but before we were to get together, I started having gastric distress and had to use the bathroom. But all the bathrooms were wide open, for all to see, it was sort of a restaurant type setting...in the dream it seemed this was the norm. And when I tried to go...nothing would happen...And he eventually came for me and started "chatting me up" while I'm on this public toilet. Then the dream skips...and we are getting "friendly"...but it's not going well...and I then wake up........seriously......WT:censored:

I'm fine with "sexy dreams"...but these were just awful! LOL!
I've had those 'awful' dreams and you wake up feeling very disturbed. My personal view on dreams is they are a subconscious collective of many things in our lives. I used to put more substance in them and would interpret dreams of my own for for others.

As I've grown, I realize most dreams are random things surfacing in our sleep, the result of bodily functions such as having to pee but unable to wake up. your libido kicks in or for instance you are laying on your arm in an odd way and it's sending pain signals to the brain. Last week when I was stressed and trapping cats and kittens I had a lot of dreams about that. Sometimes my dreams have to deal with my past such as seeing my deceased parents in my dreams and trying to resolve past conflict. I have a lot of dreams based on my issues with rejection or with someone who was very significant in my life that is no longer there.

• Purraise

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think our dreams are a random mix of memories and happenings and just general brain poop. A few dreams have told me some things, but 99.9 % are nothings.

Despite what any of us think, we're more or less the same. I've dreamt about having a shit in public and in front of characters that were important to me so many times, I just don't care any more.

It very rarely means anything different. All the people you'll meet the next 10 months will have dreamt more or less the same thing the last 10 months.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I occasionally have bathroom dreams, open, or filled with opposite or some such. I think it's just about I have to go to the bathroom and my dream is making sure I wake up and don't just go.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Recently I had a terrible nightmare about my youngest son. I dreamed he was swimming in a river and an alligator pulled him under. Now, that is a little dumb, considering we live in New England and don't have alligators. However this is the son who is the adventuresome one - he does a lot of long distance hiking. I think the dream was triggered by the fact he is planning another of his (harebrained in my opinion) hikes. Not sure if he is doing the PCT again or the CDT or AZT. Now on the better dream. 1a couple of nights ago I dreamed I got 2 new silver Persian kittens to show. In the dream I was taking them out of the carrier to show my husband. Not gonna happen! I don't have the time, energy or money to take care of anything else, but it was sure a NICE dream except it made me miss showing and breeding.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are lucky you can figure your dreams out. I wake up from mine and they are SO stupid it could NEVER happen. Well, maybe that's a good thing......With yours, I wouldn't let my son go down south for a while!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad there was a good dream to go with the bad one!

A couple of nights ago, I dreamed I was in a hotel near the ocean, watching my two cats play on the beach below (like I'd let my cats go free on a beach!) :eek2: when a shark swam up on the beach and grabbed Ozzy in its jaws. But it must have been a small toothless shark :lol: because Ozzy was sticking out of both sides of its mouth and he wasn't hurt.

Then the shark couldn't get back in the water so I had time to run downstairs, smack it, and make it let go of Ozzy, who was unscathed. :dunno: :lol: