All 6 feral cats have stopped eating

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my feral cats dry and canned food but this week they have all stopped eating for some reason. They have been eating dry Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Healthy Weight Recipe for 5 months now without any issues. For canned they get Friskies. One of the cats seems to be nausous  and will just pick at it but licks her lips a lot while trying to eat.

I have also seen yellow bile vomit in the driveway a couple of mornings. So far I tried feeding just canned, some will eat it and some seem to just pick at it. This morning I tried just feeding dry but added my indoor cats dry food to it. They were picking out my cats food but left the Merrick dry food.

I cannot afford all canned food for 6 feral cats and my own indoor cat. I am looking for a dry I can afford to try and get them eating again. I am getting worried because the one who seems the sickest has not eaten much this week, I think she is the one throwing up.

I put them on this food because every food I have tried in the past that has Brewers yeast or Brewers rice they will start itching and pulling fur out in clumps. They have all stopped itching since they have been on this food.

I just recently had surgery so I can't go out searching for different foods and I have a very tight budget to live on each month. Looking for people who feed feral cats and wondering what I should go pick up to get them eating again?

They seem to want to go back to the junk food stuff. I don't have a car but I'm getting a ride to a store today and today only.

Sorry so long, I just don't know what to do. Also sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, didn't know where to put it.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feed my feral cats dry and canned food but this week they have all stopped eating for some reason. They have been eating dry Merrick Purrfect Bistro Grain Free Healthy Weight Recipe for 5 months now without any issues. For canned they get Friskies. One of the cats seems to be nausous  and will just pick at it but licks her lips a lot while trying to eat.

I have also seen yellow bile vomit in the driveway a couple of mornings. So far I tried feeding just canned, some will eat it and some seem to just pick at it. This morning I tried just feeding dry but added my indoor cats dry food to it. They were picking out my cats food but left the Merrick dry food.

I cannot afford all canned food for 6 feral cats and my own indoor cat. I am looking for a dry I can afford to try and get them eating again. I am getting worried because the one who seems the sickest has not eaten much this week, I think she is the one throwing up.

I put them on this food because every food I have tried in the past that has Brewers yeast or Brewers rice they will start itching and pulling fur out in clumps. They have all stopped itching since they have been on this food.

I just recently had surgery so I can't go out searching for different foods and I have a very tight budget to live on each month. Looking for people who feed feral cats and wondering what I should go pick up to get them eating again?

They seem to want to go back to the junk food stuff. I don't have a car but I'm getting a ride to a store today and today only.

Sorry so long, I just don't know what to do. Also sorry if I put this in the wrong forum, didn't know where to put it.
Hi , just checking to see if your issue has been solved yet . I hope you were able to get your cats eating again . I know how stressful it is to have that happen .. I tried switching my cats kibble to a better grain free and they stopped eating  regularly and some brands bothered them , since I put them back on their regular Royal Canin  kibble they are eating good and no issues  . I did not want to feed Fancy Feast anymore  but I could not find another wet food they would eat so we are back to FF and they each eat one 3 oz can per day .

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hi , just checking to see if your issue has been solved yet . I hope you were able to get your cats eating again . I know how stressful it is to have that happen .. I tried switching my cats kibble to a better grain free and they stopped eating  regularly and some brands bothered them , since I put them back on their regular Royal Canin  kibble they are eating good and no issues  . I did not want to feed Fancy Feast anymore  but I could not find another wet food they would eat so we are back to FF and they each eat one 3 oz can per day .
Thank you for checking in on my situation, sometimes I feel so left out on this site so I don't come here much anymore.

I went to Petco and bought some dry food they have had before but kind of expensive for me to buy all the time. Natural Balance Alpha cat, it is Chicken, Turkey Meal & Duck Formula and still grain free. They are all finally eating and cleaning the bowls up. I think one of the canned foods I was giving as a special treat is making them sick. Maybe it's too rich for them?? Peaches my indoor cat eats canned Wellness with no problems but I realized they started having issues when I was feeding that canned food. The night feeding a few nights in a row was the Wellness and the next morning I was finding the vomit. I also realized Maddie the one who stopped eating would go eat grass as soon as she finished eating the Wellness canned food. I will just stick with Friskies canned food.

My cats are also stressed right now because last Saturday morning a Pit Bull dog was loose and chasing all the cats. All of mine returned but one and she didn't return home until late Tuesday night. She was so scared and hungry. They are all now very skittish and take off with any little noise. That makes me sad because they live on my porch and have been doing so well even when I have people come over. Tiger my one that was missing was scared off again this morning. I just hope she shows up for the evening meal.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for checking in on my situation, sometimes I feel so left out on this site so I don't come here much anymore.

I went to Petco and bought some dry food they have had before but kind of expensive for me to buy all the time. Natural Balance Alpha cat, it is Chicken, Turkey Meal & Duck Formula and still grain free. They are all finally eating and cleaning the bowls up. I think one of the canned foods I was giving as a special treat is making them sick. Maybe it's too rich for them?? Peaches my indoor cat eats canned Wellness with no problems but I realized they started having issues when I was feeding that canned food. The night feeding a few nights in a row was the Wellness and the next morning I was finding the vomit. I also realized Maddie the one who stopped eating would go eat grass as soon as she finished eating the Wellness canned food. I will just stick with Friskies canned food.

My cats are also stressed right now because last Saturday morning a Pit Bull dog was loose and chasing all the cats. All of mine returned but one and she didn't return home until late Tuesday night. She was so scared and hungry. They are all now very skittish and take off with any little noise. That makes me sad because they live on my porch and have been doing so well even when I have people come over. Tiger my one that was missing was scared off again this morning. I just hope she shows up for the evening meal.
Oh , I am sorry you feel left out . Feel free to PM me anytime you need someone to talk to .. 

I am so glad your cats are eating again and feeling better .. Yeah , just stick with the Friskies canned if that is what works for them ..

Oh I am sorry about the dog chasing your cats . That is so scary ..  I hope your kitty comes back soon .. 

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my feral Purina Smart Choice chicken dry food, which is a step above some of the other brands because real chicken is the first ingredient, but it's not as expensive as some of the pricier brands.  I also give him half a can of fancy feast wet and add additional water to it once or twice a day.  He loves the dry food and I leave that out all day. The important thing is to feed them what they'll eat and what you can afford, even if it means using a brand that isn't top quality . The only brand that I think is horrible is Meow Mix dry food, which is the equivalent of McDonalds for cats. Still, even that brand contains the essential vitamins cats need, and it's better than the cat going hungry.

I'm glad your cats are eating again. Maybe they had an intestinal virus or ate rodents that gave them an upset tummy. Sometimes my feral loses his appetite for a day or two and has even vomited on my porch on rare occasions. They do get into things, but are amazingly resilient.

Sorry you feel left out. I imagine all of us feel that way sometimes if people don't respond right away to our posts. I'm not on here as often as in the past due to work schedule. You can PM me, too.      

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First off, let me apologise for missing this post entirely.  This is the first I saw it and I'm sorry you've felt left out.  We try very hard to help everyone but we are all part-time here, too.

Anyway, I agree with Ms. Aimee -  my first thought was that the cats got into something.  And the dog may have been upsetting them before you saw him chasing them.  We sometimes never know what upsets them but I am glad to hear they are back on track.  If Friskies works, by all means, feed them Friskies.

Are their neighbors you are friendly with where you can check to make sure no one is putting something out to harm them?

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I actually think it has something to do with the dry cat food and the Wellness canned food. Yesterday I gave them the new food I bought for both meals with the Friskies canned food and they all ate fine. This morning I decided to mix the old dry food with the new Natural Balance dry food and they were all picking at the food.

I don't understand why suddenly they refuse to eat the Merrick dry food. It's not a new bag in fact it's a little less then half a bag and they were eating it fine before this. They were spitting food out this morning and trying to eat only the Natural Balance. Maddie tried eating it but kept licking her lips while leaning in to the bowl as if she was sick. This is what she was doing all week long. Like I said they will eat the Natural Balance just fine but I cannot afford this on a regular basis. I had to spend what little money we had left for food on this small bag of cat food.

I also have another question: The cat who was scared off and missing for 4 days has something wrong with the bottom of her feet. She keeps licking them and picking at them. It might be pitch from a tree...maybe? I have no clue where she was hiding for 4 days. She is still very terrified and none of the cats will have anything to do with her. Her mama and sister's will hiss and run from her. They have always cuddled together on top of the shelter and Tiger and mama cat play together but now none of them want to be near her. I'm confused, she was only gone 4 days.

Ok sorry one more question: Can all my feral cats actually be allergic to Brewers rice and Brewers yeast? All the brand of foods I can afford have this in it that is why I finally choose the Merrick because all the cats were doing well and stopped itching and pulling clumps of hair out. I just think it's odd that all 6 are having trouble with any food with those two things in it.

Sorry so long and if it doesn't make sense, my pain pill it kicking in.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope you are right.  I hate to mention it but sometimes rotten people try rotten things.

Fingers crossed it was just a temporary thing and they are soon back on the road to normal eating.

detmut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
New Orleans area (Metairie), Louisiana, United Sta

I actually think it has something to do with the dry cat food and the Wellness canned food. Yesterday I gave them the new food I bought for both meals with the Friskies canned food and they all ate fine. This morning I decided to mix the old dry food with the new Natural Balance dry food and they were all picking at the food.

I don't understand why suddenly they refuse to eat the Merrick dry food. It's not a new bag in fact it's a little less then half a bag and they were eating it fine before this. They were spitting food out this morning and trying to eat only the Natural Balance. Maddie tried eating it but kept licking her lips while leaning in to the bowl as if she was sick. This is what she was doing all week long. Like I said they will eat the Natural Balance just fine but I cannot afford this on a regular basis. I had to spend what little money we had left for food on this small bag of cat food.

I also have another question: The cat who was scared off and missing for 4 days has something wrong with the bottom of her feet. She keeps licking them and picking at them. It might be pitch from a tree...maybe? I have no clue where she was hiding for 4 days. She is still very terrified and none of the cats will have anything to do with her. Her mama and sister's will hiss and run from her. They have always cuddled together on top of the shelter and Tiger and mama cat play together but now none of them want to be near her. I'm confused, she was only gone 4 days.

Ok sorry one more question: Can all my feral cats actually be allergic to Brewers rice and Brewers yeast? All the brand of foods I can afford have this in it that is why I finally choose the Merrick because all the cats were doing well and stopped itching and pulling clumps of hair out. I just think it's odd that all 6 are having trouble with any food with those two things in it.

all 4 of them? any other signs/symptoms? it could be an allergy due to pollen or possibly got sap on her paws, especially if she was hiding in a tree due to the dog.

is it possible she smells different? could she have been sprayed by a skunk?

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Is it winter where you are ? If so is it possible she got a bit of frostbite on her paw pads ?  Maybe she scraped her pads climbing a tree ..   I agree with you ,  it does seem odd that all six cats would have the same allergy .. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am leaving now so I don't have time to read through this thread, but my very first thought, and what I experienced a few years back is poison. Sorry but the chance of all 6 cats having the same allergy to food is not possible really.

Snail pellets are also poison.

I lost my entire crew at one spot due to poison once, first sign was, all stopped interest in food/eating. Just throwing that out there as I care for many colonies and have for many years.

Highly suspicious.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I am leaving now so I don't have time to read through this thread, but my very first thought, and what I experienced a few years back is poison. Sorry but the chance of all 6 cats having the same allergy to food is not possible really.

Snail pellets are also poison.

I lost my entire crew at one spot due to poison once, first sign was, all stopped interest in food/eating. Just throwing that out there as I care for many colonies and have for many years.

Highly suspicious.
I'm now wondering if they did get into something. Tonight was the new food and they were picking at it, they all ate but very slow for them and mama cat would not touch the dry food.

My older neighbors across the street do treat for slugs and use weed killer and who knows what else they use. Since I had to cover the hole where they could get under the house they have no where to go when scared or stressed.

They all just seem different since the dog incident. They are all so scared and not bouncing back like they usually do.

I do think it's pitch all over Tigers paws.

The problems with dry food has been going on for a long time. The constant itching and pulling fur out. They were on Purina Cat Chow for several years and they were always itchy and had bald spots. Since 2013 I have been trying several different dry foods. The one thing they all have in common is the Brewers Rice or Brewers yeast in the food. Merrick dry food does not have that in it and they all stopped itching and the fur grew back. One was almost bald and had sores from chewing herself, another was constantly grooming and had thin fur but all six were constantly scratching until..........

I put them all on Merrick dry food in October 2014. They all lay outside without scratching and pulling fur out and the one who had sores has grown the fur back and no more sores. They were doing so well on this food.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay so I read it all through.

My thoughts on the one who stayed away after the dog incident, I think yes it is likely sap on her paws.

Also hate to say this but she may have shown herself to be a weak link in the colony, which cats will instinctively avoid being around because they believe it causes a threat to their safety. Just as mom's do when one in the litter is weak or ill. 

Another possibility is that she smells different, but I am leaning more towards the reason I mentioned prior.

As for their changed eating habits, I would not blame it on the dog event, yes that would surely make them more jumpy and on guard, reacting to sounds, etc. but this will settle down soon enough.

I would suspect something causing them to lose interest in the food they have all done well on for years. I would go back to that food, Merrick, and go knocking on neighbor's doors asking who is using what.

Be very nice and non suspicious but see if there is some way to get answers. Snail bait/pellets will do exactly what you are describing.

Friskies canned is just fine for them.

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Okay so I read it all through.

My thoughts on the one who stayed away after the dog incident, I think yes it is likely sap on her paws.

Also hate to say this but she may have shown herself to be a weak link in the colony, which cats will instinctively avoid being around because they believe it causes a threat to their safety. Just as mom's do when one in the litter is weak or ill. 

Another possibility is that she smells different, but I am leaning more towards the reason I mentioned prior.

As for their changed eating habits, I would not blame it on the dog event, yes that would surely make them more jumpy and on guard, reacting to sounds, etc. but this will settle down soon enough.

I would suspect something causing them to lose interest in the food they have all done well on for years. I would go back to that food, Merrick, and go knocking on neighbor's doors asking who is using what.

Be very nice and non suspicious but see if there is some way to get answers. Snail bait/pellets will do exactly what you are describing.

Friskies canned is just fine for them.
Do you think the other cats will welcome her back or will they continue to avoid her? Do you think in time they will all recover from the dog experience?

I went out this evening and used the Merrick dry food as if I was giving them a treat, only one cat would not touch it. I'm hoping in time they will eat this dry food again.

I did notice that mama cat would not go near Tiger, she wouldn't even come on the porch because Tiger was there. Tiger wouldn't come and get her treat with the others. She stayed in the corner and waited for me to bring it over to her. I just feel so bad for Tiger, right now she is on the porch all alone. I miss seeing them all together cuddling and sleeping.

Thanks for all the advice. I just want my happy colony back.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
If she's become a pariah due to illness or an odd smell, chances are it'll change when she's back to normal.

Are the cats related? We've got a lot of parents, offspring, siblings, half-siblings and cousins at the shelter due to a hoarding situation and a dissolved colony. It's amazing how many have the same food allergy (chicken in the colony's case).

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm... First, since upset stomach and possible poisoning are involved, maybe try some chicken stock. Make sure no garlic or onion is in it. They have to stay hydrated, and stock has a little extra salt to help them stay hydrated.

Next is worms. Some parasites could be causing the problem. Can you pick up a wormer? They aren't very much usually. Petco has a great exchange policy. If they won't use the med, bring it back open and exchange it for another.

Third, I've seen a lot of bullying. There are different steps I've taken based on the situation. Judy got bullied really, then started getting super fearful. It took months to get her to play and rebuild her confidence. We supervised a bunch of guided interactions with her estranged sisters. It still took a few months of her sisters trying to get closer before she was comfortable playing with them again.

That said, I've seen the two black sisters, Kira and Luna injure themselves. A bad jump injured Kira's tail, she injured a leg some time before that, Luna had gotten trapped for weeks under the neighbor's house, she's recovering from a tail injury herself. Through all those injuries I noticed a pattern. The other kept their distance until the injured cat felt better. There was no direct bullying. Cats generally prefer to be left alone when hurt. It may not be the case, but I have noticed it even between the closest of the kitties. And everything went back to normal as soon as the injury healed.

Finally, if you have FOCAS in your area, they might help you get an injured feral treated. They did that for Leo. Or another local TNR group.

I know how tough it is on a budget. I've considered starting a gofundme to help care for them. Thankfully they aren't too picky.

It's challenging to care for them while disabled/on a tight budget, but still so rewarding. I hope you and your kitties feel better soon!

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she's become a pariah due to illness or an odd smell, chances are it'll change when she's back to normal.

Are the cats related? We've got a lot of parents, offspring, siblings, half-siblings and cousins at the shelter due to a hoarding situation and a dissolved colony. It's amazing how many have the same food allergy (chicken in the colony's case).
Yes, 4 of the 6 are related it's Mama and her 3 adult daughters and they are the ones having issues with dry food with Brewers Rice or Brewers yeast. The other one is a male cat that has been fed by several different people through the years and the other cat actually belongs to some people across the street but they don't feed her, she is not feral.

Hmm... First, since upset stomach and possible poisoning are involved, maybe try some chicken stock. Make sure no garlic or onion is in it. They have to stay hydrated, and stock has a little extra salt to help them stay hydrated.

Next is worms. Some parasites could be causing the problem. Can you pick up a wormer? They aren't very much usually. Petco has a great exchange policy. If they won't use the med, bring it back open and exchange it for another.

Third, I've seen a lot of bullying. There are different steps I've taken based on the situation. Judy got bullied really, then started getting super fearful. It took months to get her to play and rebuild her confidence. We supervised a bunch of guided interactions with her estranged sisters. It still took a few months of her sisters trying to get closer before she was comfortable playing with them again.

That said, I've seen the two black sisters, Kira and Luna injure themselves. A bad jump injured Kira's tail, she injured a leg some time before that, Luna had gotten trapped for weeks under the neighbor's house, she's recovering from a tail injury herself. Through all those injuries I noticed a pattern. The other kept their distance until the injured cat felt better. There was no direct bullying. Cats generally prefer to be left alone when hurt. It may not be the case, but I have noticed it even between the closest of the kitties. And everything went back to normal as soon as the injury healed.

Finally, if you have FOCAS in your area, they might help you get an injured feral treated. They did that for Leo. Or another local TNR group.

I know how tough it is on a budget. I've considered starting a gofundme to help care for them. Thankfully they aren't too picky.

It's challenging to care for them while disabled/on a tight budget, but still so rewarding. I hope you and your kitties feel better soon!
We actually do have a cat that lives across the street who has been bulling my cats for a few years now. They are on guard all the time because this cat will come onto my property and attack them. I have ran outside to some horrible cat fights. This cat also pushed them out of their home next door under the deck, now they have no where to run and hide. They used to recover well after an incident because they were able to run and hide under that deck.

I am not sure what kind of wormer to buy but I'm not able to put any flea treatment on them, can't touch them. The one who is not feral I can touch and I have spent a fortune on that cat with flea treatments and food and she has a family.

They ate this morning but again Maddie kind of picked slowly at the food but she did eat it. Mama ate the canned but would not eat the dry. It does not help that we are having crazy thunder storms and they are still freaking out from all the stuff that went on last week.

I just need to stop stressing out and hope they all calm down soon.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the counter de-wormers are not as effective as de-wormers prescribed by a vet. Most vets will prescribe and dispense a de-wormer such as Drontal to known clients without having the client bring the cat in for an exam, especially if the vet knows your cats are feral. Most cats with parasites are ravenous, and since yours are losing their appetite, I don’t know if parasites are to blame.

It’s extremely unlikely that 6 cats would have the same food allergy.  

There are numerous substances that can cause tummy distress in outdoor cats—bird waste, salt and other materials used to melt snow, certain plants, and rodents consumed that were ill or poisoned can all temporarily sicken a cat. I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that someone is intentionally poisoning them.

However, that said, it would be a good idea for you to talk to your neighbors and express your concern for your cats and ask them if they know of anyone who has been complaining about them. I assume you have paper work from vets for their neuter/spay and vaccines? This is legal documentation that these cats are legally yours. If someone is trying to hurt or poison them, they need to know that you can take legal action against them. It’s important to have good relations with your neighbors—you can find out a LOT from them. I’m having a similar situation on my block now with a new next door neighbor who told another neighbor that he wants to “remove” my feral, Muffin, from the block. He believes Muffin urinated on his grill cover. Muffin has lived on my block for 5 years, is kind of the block mascot, and does not engage in that kind of behavior, but a few ferals who occasionally come onto the block—including one that has the same tabby markings as Muffin- do sometimes come around and likely mark territory.  I was able to text this this guy’s girlfriend, who lives with him next door, and she said she spoke with him and he said he will not hurt Muffin. I reminded them that Muffin is legally my cat, and I love him as much as they love their two dogs. Sometimes you have to confront neighbors in order to protect your cats.

Good luck with your situation and let us know how it goes.

Just read your last post. You can purchase Frontline on Amazon for about a third of the cost you would pay anywhere else. I'm able to drip it onto the shoulder blades of my feral when he's preoccupied eating a chicken breast. Drontal can be crushed and mixed in with tuna fish or some other treat. It costs about 7 dollars at a vet's office and one dose does the trick. But the main concern now is to get your kitties eating well again, so I wouldn't worry about these side issues now.  

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my opinion, the avoidance of the usual dry food could very well be due to association.

If that is the food they were eating while possibly eating something that made them feel sick and lose their appetite, they will assume it was caused by their dry food. You see?