Alfalfa supplementing / dose?

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going to start adding powdered alfalfa to Pitter's diet and need a starting point as far as dosage.
(Mainly for inflammation due to pancreatitis + ibd, but also mild kidney disease)

TIA

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Given his existing conditions, it’s something best discussed with his primary care vet that’s aware of his history and current conditions, imo. Personally, I wouldn’t use it at all, given his condition. The benefits are dubious based on the existing research (plus there are safer alternatives if he needs a vitamin supplement or anti-inflammatory), and concentrated alfalfa can irritate the stomach lining. It also has high magnesium and phosphorous, neither of which is advisable with his pre-existing conditions.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would agree completely with Maurey Maurey . Is there some reason you want to specifically use powdered Alfalfa? It may be good for humans, but for cats, I'm not convinced?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

P+P's Meom

What if I don't want to stay calm?
Adult Cat
Purraise
Updating my post:
This is the kind of info I was looking for. 😉 .
The amount is so small that I don't really see any point in adding it. 😉
Screenshot_20211111-212739_Samsung Notes.jpg
Screenshot_20211111-212739_Samsung Notes.jpg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wow, who'd thought. I honesty didn't believe this even after reading it, so I googled it myself. What I read said Alfalfa is considered a Legume Grass and also an herb. They say it IS filled with vitamins and minerals. Quite interesting.