Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Alexandria Ocasio-cortez

Discussion in 'IMO: In My Opinion' started by JamesCalifornia, Dec 28, 2018.

1. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ Congresswoman elect Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez recently said on Twitters : “I keep things raw and honest on here since I believe public servants do a disservice to our communities by pretending to be perfect. It makes things harder for others who aspire to run someday if they think they have to be superhuman before they even try."
    She added. “Don’t be fooled by the plaques that we got, I’m still ... I’m still Alex from the Bronx.’’

~ It seems she is indeed raw & honest - speaks her mind without edits. Could this mean trouble for stuffy Congress ? Will she be concerned by double standards and elitism in politics and call attention to it ? Could she be the catalyst for a return to "Government of the people - for the people " ?!
    What say you ...?

foxxycat purraised this.

2. denice

denice Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    She is a populist from the far left. Populists don't have a good record, in fact they have a history of being dangerous. Extremism is also a real problem, that is extremism from both sides. I think at some point interest in her will fade. I don't know how long it will take but I think or at least hope that it will fade. Every serious interview I have seen her try to do has been pretty bad. She goes into almost the stereotypical valley girl mode and says she just doesn't know anything about that or says something really stupid that shows she doesn't have a clue.

foxxycat, GaryT, Richard2121 and 3 others purraised this.

3. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    :yeah: Extremism is not good for anyone. We need brains and common sense too. it is like a shooting star, exciting when it is happening, but fades quickly and is gone.
    I believe both sides are getting fed up with the direction this country is headed, and are latching on to ANYTHING different and new. A problem may be that no matter what the new ideas are they have to paid somehow and most would rather have it be from cutting fat from what we have now, then from raising taxes on the middle. True politicians are on their way out I believe, I believe the country wants people in who are more concerned with the country and their people, not in finding ways to line their own pockets and the pockets of those who really don't earn it. Nothing is free, you'll pay a price sooner or later......

GaryT, Richard2121, foxxycat and 2 others purraised this.

4. Stinky15

Stinky15 TCS Member Super Cat

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    Her gaffe's are entertaining is about all I can say about her. I'm sure "The Swamp" will soon put her in her place.

5. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    She seems earnest. Has real potential, I think. But, yes, her ditzy moments are a bit cringey. She'll learn. I hope. Could go either way I suppose.

catsknowme purraised this.

6. doomsdave

doomsdave TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Oh, dearie me! The young lady has said a few "valley girlish" things. Oh, fuss. I'm going to vomit all over my plastic-covered Louis XIV reproduction chairs.

Yeah, she said things I wouldn't say. But that does not take away, for even a New York nanosecond, her massive accomplishment. Her sheer, ballsy victory. Good luck? Maybe. But she went ahead and ran and won. She had every reason not to even try; she's up against someone who was, apparently, something of an icon. All I can say, is go-girl-go. I'd say she's more like Joan of Arc than Moon Unit Zappa, all in all. Or, maybe some of the upstart Republican recent electees?

And, air-head is as air-head does. Most of us here are on, shall we say, the downside of 30? 40 even? If anyone here (or anywhere) says, "I'd never say anything air-headed or foolish" or words to such effect, I'll just laugh. Let those of you who know everything insult someone who makes errors.

Finally, compared to the babbling, lying, deceitful, vile buffoonery of someone else from New York, newly inducted into public life, if you support such a person (name rhymes with "dump") then how in hell can you reasonably or honestly heap opprobrium on Ms. Ocasio-Cortez for some verbal gaffes?

(Wiping the vomit from the Louis XIV plastic covered chairs.)

muffy, sivyaleah and catsknowme purraised this.

7. di and bob

di and bob TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 12, 2012
    Nebraska, USA
    And if you can honestly support someone like Ocasio-Cortez how can you be so critical of Trump? He can't say the sun will come up tomorrow without someone jumping down his throat and calling him a liar. It just shows how hypocritical and deceitful Liberals are. She wants free college for everyone and free everything for illegals(noone has EVER given ME free medical care, free housing and free food so don't say they don't get anything) with absolutely no idea put forth on how to pay for it except to eventually raise my taxes.

8. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    Hell yes, easily.

Ms. Cortez has some integrity.

DT has none, as demonstrated by 40 years of writings, antics and general buffoonery.

Your disagreement with Ms. OC's policy pushes does nothing to change anything about her or her accomplishment in running and getting elected, without a family fortune behind her. If her constituents agree, she might be around awhile.

muffy, sivyaleah and catsknowme purraised this.

9. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I think anyone who has worked as a waitress is unlikely to completely lose her grip on real life. So that's a plus. I don't think most of the politicians out there know how demeaning and dehumanizing those jobs are, and are probably the sort of people who are mean to the waitstaff. Maybe if she's at a political luncheon and someone is rude to the staff she can tell them off.

At least nobody can whine that she's elitist!
    Gah! I'm glad I'm not in the public eye. That would be awful.
    Even if she makes some gaffes, she's not mean-spirited at all like he is.
    Actually, you (and all of us) have benefited greatly from federal subsidy programs. We tend not to realize how much we get "for free".
    The Absurd Amount of Entitlements That Go to Rich People

(Also, I'm pretty sure she doesn't want "free everything for illegals" but I'll have to go look up her actual proposals on that to have anything intelligent to say. Be right back.)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    muffy, catsknowme, goingpostal and 1 other person purraised this.

10. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    Do we really need to compare everyone to Donald Trump. As I said before Populists do not have a good record and can be dangerous. Donald Trump, even though he has no real political beliefs, ran as a populist and his rhetoric is that of a populist. There was another populist named Huey Long from the deep South who was a populist and he created all kinds of problems.

We need smart people with a knowledge of history, with integrity, the ability to compromise and the ability to restore some semblance of a functioning government. I remember John McCain the last 10 years or so pleading for a return to regular order, we so need that right now. We do not need more populist bomb throwers from either side.

Richard2121, catsknowme and JamesCalifornia purraised this.

11. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    To the extent that DT supporters are the bulk of the criticism, we sure do, though I know that gets a bit distasteful.

However dangerous populists might have been, I agree with much of Ms. OC's agenda, whatever label one chooses to put on it. And, assuming she is a populist, no way does her brand of populism compare with that of You Know Who.

Populism and progressivism have a lot in common, which shouldn't obscure their differences. I like the second, the first, not so much.

12. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    You left out that she wants to impeach the President for "Trump's alleged violations of the Emoluments Clause" and she wants to eliminate the Electoral College.
    I'm quite sure Pelosi will soon put her in her place.

13. Willowy

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Heh, I looked up populism and now I'm even more confused. I guess there's no firm definition.
    Populism - Wikipedia

14. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    I'd love to as well. But, with the Senate constituted as it is, removal likely won't happen, even if impeachment occurs.

15. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    Are you saying you would impeach a president solely based on allegations with no due process?

foxxycat purraised this.

16. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    No due process is required. The Constitution does not provide for such. It isn't a criminal matter. It's purely political.

17. denice

Feb 7, 2006
    Columbus OH
    There is no ideology to populism that is why populists can be found along the whole political spectrum and if they gain power they end up in the same place. Those from the left, Bernie Sanders was a prime example, the people are the ones that have been oppressed somehow. Occupy Wall Street was a populist movement. We just get money away from the wealthy and Wall Street it will be free college, free health care, the land of milk and honey for all of us on our side. There are examples of where that ultimately leads when they gain absolute power, Castro was a populist from the left and the Russian Revolution that led to the Soviet Union was a populist movement from the left.

From the populists on the right in the U.S. and in Europe you get, if we can stop illegal immigration, stop migrants pouring over the border and do something about these horrible trade deals then the factories with their good paying jobs and great benefits will come back and it will be the land of milk and honey again. It is always us vs them, we are being victimized by them, if we could only get the stuff that is rightfully ours from them it will be ice cream and balloons for all of us.

18. Stinky15

Jun 9, 2018
    East TX
    My bad....

I haven't seen anything that would enable his impeachment. I sincerely doubt it will happen unless the Muller Witch Hunt finds something serious. So far unsuccessful.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    di and bob purraised this.

19. doomsdave

Dec 2, 2016
    California
    We can agree on that much, for now.

di and bob purraised this.

20. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    ~ If we did there would never have been a Donald Trump. But he may just be the catalyst to bring that about .
    There is hope ...[​IMG] `

Q2U purraised this.