Resolved Alerts for threads that I never watched

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither have mine. It doesn't appear to be affecting just one user group like Top Cats, either. The tech people will have to figure it out.
What I meant is that I"m not getting notifications that I shouldn't or vice versa. Just thought you'd want to know that some are not having issues is all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm having the opposite problem, I randomly stop getting notifications for threads that I am watching and have been participating in.
This has always happened to me, well, not always, but at least in the past few months. Some threads I had been following stopped being notified and I found out it by chance that they had new posts.

HellaSteph

Unicorn Seeker
Super Cat
Purraise

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
To add to what Stephanie just explained - there were no changes in the platform over the past few days.
Please try adjusting the settings as she suggests and if things still aren't working as expected, let us know here - thanks!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's happening for me for the members I follow, even though I have in my follower preferences not to be updated for comments, so I had like 27 notifications from people I follow, but not threads I watch.
This is happening for me, too. I just went through my list of people I Follow and re-Saved all my toggle choices for each one, just to see if that will help decrease the Alerts. Maybe things got reset or zeroed out or something, and we have to re-save our choices? I'm not sure...

editing for an 'Update': Nope, it's not working.
NOTE for admins: when I try to Save changes for toggled options I choose for people I "Follow", there is no pop-up showing up for me that says, Your Changes Have Been Saved. Maybe this is where the problem is.
ME TOO! Iis VERY annoying getting alerts to threads I don't want to follow.
Me too.....I had 45 notifications on threads I never commented on or follow.

Anne Anne , HellaSteph HellaSteph - Any input on how this seems to be connected to the Following aspect of things? And why am I not getting the pop-up that says, "Your changes have been saved" when I try out any changes on my toggling for choices for my Followees? That used to show up just fine for me (and yes, even after the forum update) and it doesn't anymore.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Anne Anne , HellaSteph HellaSteph - Any input on how this seems to be connected to the Following aspect of things? And why am I not getting the pop-up that says, "Your changes have been saved" when I try out any changes on my toggling for choices for my Followees? That used to show up just fine for me (and yes, even after the forum update) and it doesn't anymore.

Thanks for your help
The pop-up should still be showing up (I just tested with my alerts preferences as well as my following settings).
Nothing has changed on our end over the past week. I wonder if this could be related to your browser? Can you make sure pop-ups aren't blocked on TCS?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pop-up should still be showing up (I just tested with my alerts preferences as well as my following settings).
Nothing has changed on our end over the past week. I wonder if this could be related to your browser? Can you make sure pop-ups aren't blocked on TCS?
Nope, pop-ups should work and, as I mentioned, they worked prior to the last several days. They worked on all of my browsers, before and after your update.

*But that 'Your changes have been saved' in the Follow section has not worked for a few days now.* This is what I'm trying to convey to you.

Maybe other members here in this thread can try re-toggling & re-Saving their "Follow" choices and tell us whether they get the "Your changes have been saved" pop-up or not.

I used to get it (that pop-up) just fine. I have changed nothing with my browsers.

Now I do not, and that coincides with all these inundating alerts I (and others) are getting the past few days.

Last edited:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went through and double checked my following a few hours ago. It looked like this screenshot I just took.
Capture+_2019-11-22-17-14-03.png

And after I saved it again I still got this:
Capture+_2019-11-22-17-10-55.png

See, not watching that thread (honestly, hadn't even had a chance to open and read it yet), but still got an alert.

(Sorry to pick on you tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 - your notification was at the top and most convenient to show!)

And no, didn't get a pop up saying my changes were saved, the alert preferences just closed when I pushed save.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have many examples like you do, Lari (and thanks for your input on this thread!). For some of the people I follow I toggle certain choices (of getting alerts when they comment), but for many others whom I Follow just because I appreciate them, I do NOT toggle any choices for them (so that I won't get alerts, or --at least-- it used to work that way prior to a day or two ago, and I would not get alerts when they posted).

Just like your tarasgirl example, I Follow Furballsmom (and Aliceneko, as a second example) with no choices toggled, like this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.22.32 PM.png

And yet when I logged on just now, I have Alerts showing threads I don't Watch where Furballsmom and Aliceneko commented: Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.23.21 PM.png

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne Anne , I wanted to check on something else too.

I just noticed that, even though in my Privacy settings I do NOT toggle the choices to be shown online or to have my Current Activity visible to other members, I can see my Current Activity in public view when I click on my member box.

If a member had those Privacy settings not toggled, it used to just say something like, "Last seen: a moment ago..." and would not give a location or page on the site that the member was actually viewing.

Could this need fixed, too? Or is it because I clicked on my "own" member box? (> anyone want to let me know if they can see what pages I'm visiting when they click on my member name? -thanks in advance-)

Two examples:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.41.04 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 3.42.30 PM.png

Last edited:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could this need fixed, too? Or is it because I clicked on my "own" member box? (> anyone want to let me know if they can see what pages I'm visiting when they click on my member name? -thanks in advance-)
Just a note: I went to the home page and clicked on all visiting members' usernames and for all of them showing up there, the pages they were visiting were visible to me. It could be that they all have "non-private" settings, or maybe not. But I guess I feel this is something for admins to double-check is working for those that have a Private mode when online. Thanks!

Buffster7

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Same issue as many of you. Not only related to people I follow - plenty of notifications for threads and people I have never seen nor followed. But yes, it led me to this thread. :)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a very active poster that I follow. Every time that person posts, I get a notification and there are many. Happens with none of the others I follow. I will send apologies to that poster as I will unfollow to stop many unneeded notifications.