Alert When Somebody Starts A New Thread

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got 2 alerts today to inform me that 2 different people had started a new thread. I never got this kind of message before and I prefer not to receive them in the future. I looked at my settings (preferences for alert) and everything looks normal. How can I block this messages ?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you 'following' these people? If you are, I'm guessing that's why you got the alerts. I don't know much about the following system as I don't use it. All I can think of is to 'un-follow' them. That should stop it.

Hopefully someone with more experience with that feature will chime in with more information for you :crossfingers:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you 'following' these people? If you are, I'm guessing that's why you got the alerts. I don't know much about the following system as I don't use it. All I can think of is to 'un-follow' them. That should stop it.

Hopefully someone with more experience with that feature will chime in with more information for you :crossfingers:
The old platform's main "Following" features don't seem to apply completely to the new platform.

Resolved - Follow Feature - Did It Fully Survive Migration?

You don't get alerts when people you Follow make a post. Just their avatar shows up for you when you are in a logged-in state on TCS (so that you simply know that they are online at the same time you are).

One further thing I think also happens (beyond what's mentioned in the link above --and a tech or mod can check this for me??--)... is that if someone you Follow either is "Ignoring" or blocking you, and/or (??) has their online state as not being visible to other members when logged in, I don't think that person's avatar image shows up for you -- even though you might Follow them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No I'm not following them. That's why it surprised me. Thanks for the suggestion...

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was your username "mentioned" in the posts?

Or maybe you are "watching" (as a browsing preference) one of the categories that the thread(s) were posted in? One of the choices is "Automatically watch categories that you add media to", so maybe you added a photo or video to a certain category and so it sent you an alert when others posted in that category?

:dunno:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The old platform's main "Following" features don't seem to apply completely to the new platform.

Resolved - Follow Feature - Did It Fully Survive Migration?

You don't get alerts when people you Follow make a post. Just their avatar shows up for you when you are in a logged-in state on TCS (so that you simply know that they are online at the same time you are).

One further thing I think also happens (beyond what's mentioned in the link above --and a tech or mod can check this for me??--)... is that if someone you Follow either is "Ignoring" or blocking you, and/or (??) has their online state as not being visible to other members when logged in, I don't think that person's avatar image shows up for you -- even though you might Follow them.
I don't follow anyone of TCS, so nobody can ignore or block me. Well...it's not the end of the world.. Ii'll wait and see. thanks for the suggestion.

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was your username "mentioned" in the posts?

Or maybe you are "watching" (as a browsing preference) one of the categories that the thread(s) were posted in? One of the choices is "Automatically watch categories that you add media to", so maybe you added a photo or video to a certain category and so it sent you an alert when others posted in that category?

:dunno:
Hi PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws
My Username was not mentioned in the posts.
Where can I find the option 'Automatically watch categories that you add media to ?'

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well that's weird. I can't explain this one. I'll have to have someone else look at it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was wondering, too. Are Forums or sub-forums considered "categories"?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws
Where can I find the option 'Automatically watch categories that you add media to ?'
At the top under the link for "mama africa", looking for the section called, "Preferences". Clicking that will taking you to a page called, "Browsing Preferences". Look through those toggle boxes to see if you've toggled the ones you want. Click Save Changes if you make changes.

But I really don't know if this will help your specific problem. I was just theorizing. :dunno:

mama africa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At the top under the link for "mama africa", looking for the section called, "Preferences". Clicking that will taking you to a page called, "Browsing Preferences". Look through those toggle boxes to see if you've toggled the ones you want. Click Save Changes if you make changes.

But I really don't know if this will help your specific problem. I was just theorizing. :dunno:
yeah, found it ! But I continue receiving alerts for new messages on these 2 new threads.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As the more wise posters above mentioned, try clicking "Unwatch Forum" on the "Describing Cats - etc" link, and you might feel relief from the alerts?