Alert: Marriot Data Breach Affects 500 Million People.

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just got in from work, checked my email, and received the alert from Malwarebytes, re. the Marriot / Starwood Properties Breach. I posted this on another forum I visit, and thought I'd post it here as well.

In what has sadly become the new normal, another massive data breach made headlines today, this time affecting business travelers and vacationers.

The hotel chain Marriott International disclosed a massive data breach affecting 500 million consumers who made reservations at Starwood hotels.

Compromised data includes name, address, phone, email, passport number, and date of birth. For some victims, the stolen information also includes credit card numbers and expiration dates.

Have I been affected?
If you’ve stayed at any of the following Starwood properties, you’ve been affected.

Westin

Sheraton

The Luxury Collection

Four Points by Sheraton

W Hotels

St. Regis

Le Méridien

Aloft

Element

Tribute Portfolio

Design Hotels

What should I do?
Your first step should be to read our checklist on how to respond to a data breach;

Marriott breach impacts 500 million customers: here's what to do about it - Malwarebytes Labs

And keep a watchful eye on your inbox. Opportunistic scammers know about the data breach and will send out phishing emails designed to look like official correspondence from Marriott/Starwood, law enforcement, financial institutions, or any organization related to the data breach.

In the event that you do receive malspam of some kind, Malwarebytes customers are protected from malicious download links.

Finally, be sure to follow us on social media and stay tuned to the Malwarebytes Labs Blog for all the latest updates on the Marriott breach, and all other cyberthreats.

Stay safe,
The Malwarebytes Team

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
PS Just saw that I posted this in the w, wr, wr, ... wrong section. Please feel free to move this thread!

Thanks, and sorry!

Poops, I mean, Pops

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard something on NPR about this the other day. Their expert was saying that the biggest danger here is that we'll become complacent - that we'll decide that this kind of data breach is just what we have to expect now, but life will go on. This may all be true, but it isn't healthy! And the danger isn't "just" identity theft - for business people and politicians it could be used to facilitate the theft of trade secrets, or to predict business strategy, or to predict political strategy. And that affects all of us, not just those of us who stay in Marriott hotels.

Margret

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually stay at much cheaper hotels/motels. I did stay at the Sheraton once when I was a kid. It was really fancy!

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if this breach applies to those who worked or work for Marriott as well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azpops

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I applied for a job at marriott earlier this year and I know several people who have worked for them so I'm wondering now.
One of the news segments reported that Marriott has dedicated phone number (and website?) to address any questions, re. this breach. Could try calling Marriott to inquire about this number?

Pops